Kintamayama

Nagoya 2022

36 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Is this going to be the spoiler thread for the basho? 

Sure, why not?

A silent prayer for Abe before the kyokai go-aisatsu

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

What's with Tochinoshin and Aoiyama sporting the same kesho-mawashi design?

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Both Kasugano so maybe the sponsor got a two-for-one deal with the stable.

• Like 1

I thought Chiyotairyu was unlucky. Losing the rematch after looking a clear winner in the original bout.

• Like 1

Not bad so far.

• more good and/or entertaining bouts that dull ones
  • matta
  • monoii, decision upheld
  • monoii, decision reversed
  • monoii with unjustified torinaoshi, robbing the winner of the original bout
  • only 2 Ozeki upsets
  • upset for Abi

The only downside...i have negative self control and munched all my macarons before today (Weeping...)

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

So much for the wish of Dewanoumi, 1 ozeki left in the lead

6 minutes ago, Benihana said:

• kinboshi for Abi

Abi is ranked in Sanyaku.

9 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Abi is ranked in Sanyaku.

Oh, my bad.

It looks like Terunofuji was hopping gimpy on one leg after falling out of the dohyo. Not sure if it was a trying-to-keep-his-balance hop or if he tweaked something.

Looked OK walking after climbing back up on the dohyo and back to the dressing room, but something to keep an eye on.

Another early loss or two and it could spell a quick exit from Nagoya for the Yokozuna.

Edited by Kaninoyama

No man-in onrei banners on day 1 - it didn't pay off to have all seats on sale

46 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Reports of Terutsuyoshi's replacement were premature...  ;-)

Looks like Nishikifuji asked to be spared the running after his dohyo-iri and be able to concentrate on getting double digits as new makuuchi, for the kanto-sho, like Midorifuji.

Edited by Akinomaki

My personal, naive take on the main matches of Day 1:

Back down the line, Meisei is on fire. I never saw him that angry - and hungry. It's promising.

Hoshoryu wins against Ura but was sent heel-against-rope by his push, as it happens much too often while Hoshoryu faces heavy opponents. I'd really want to see him stand his ground and solve his bouts closer to the centre instead to play the Shodai by the ropes (and lose some matches this way as well). I am still bewildered on how easily Terunofuji ran him out in March. It's not even a weight issue anymore, at 141 kg (see here).

Both Wakatakakage and Daieisho start their Ozeki bid on a bad foot. While Daieisho was an outside bet from the beginning (needs a 14-1 to make 33, he has to win all the other bouts to make it still), Wakatakakage is widely hyped. Nevertheless, the best he could do was to move Ichinojo around for a short bit before being handily yorikiri'd. On the bright side, 'Nojo is the heaviest guy in the joy, so done him done the worst. Tomorrow Wakatakakage vs. Tamawashi. Our favorite Sekiwake leads 5-1 against the old fox. If he's serious with his Ozeki bid, I expect him to win this one (and of course at least other 11 after it).

The three little pigs, aka the Ozeki, don't look good. Shodai is mentally on the beach, but he can still come back from vacation before getting 8 losses - he's Shodai, y'all. I will call him MK only when he gets MK, I just don't trust his antics. Mitakeumi managed to win but it is evident he cannot rise his right shoulder (notice he forced Takanosho out with his left arm, and afterwards kept his right very low while getting his prize). I root for him to get his 8 wins but I doubt he will be a serious contender this basho. I won't be surprised he will sit out on Aki to heal his shoulder properly if he gets his KK. Last, Takakeisho is on his game although he cannot charge head-on yet. Is it the case, I think he can only get his KK and little more like last time.

Finally, Terunofuji has been outsmarted by Abi. The Strangler already pulled quite a few arms last basho to sideline his opponents, just like he did today . Of course several casual commentators already calling for the Yokozuna to retire - as always, but I think that's more Abi pulling a good one than Teru being out of gas (although he clearly suffers from his falls from the dohyo, that gap is just too high). Tomorrow Terunofuji vs. Kiribayama (7-0). I expect the usual truck crash.

And that's the first day. Although it's too early to call anything, I'd say both Kiribayama and Abi look good. The former kept Takakeisho at bay (under-performing or not, the Hamster is no joke), and the latter just got rid of his worst opponent. As already said, tomorrow Kiribayama will be likely ran over by Terunofuji (it happens), while Abi is against Ura (3-1) and could snatch a 2-0.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:
3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Both Kasugano so maybe the sponsor got a two-for-one deal with the stable.

3 for 1. A standard sponsor of Kasugano-beya, and from Aichi pref. http://www.enelf.jp/link/kasuganobeya/kasuganobeya.html

They have that kesho mawashi for a long time now (2015 or even earlier Tochinoshin.2015.03.jpg)

k.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 6

49 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No man-in onrei banners on day 1 - it didn't pay off to have all seats on sale

Despite no man-in onrei full house, I had the impression that they did sell more tickets (fill more seats) today.  I wonder if the sales stats support that impression.  The NSK is no doubt eager to boost its income!

Another observation: the commentators on Abema TV's broadcast are no longer wearing masks, while fans in the arena are still required to do so.  Interesting tiered lifting of COVID restrictions.

That was an unexpected change of style from Endo against Wakamotoharu. I can't see him trying tsuppari against Aoiyama tomorrow, but I wonder if we'll see it again later on in the basho. l enjoyed him mixing it up, in general he seems too focused on getting a frontal grip.

4 hours ago, Benihana said:
  • monoii with unjustified torinaoshi, robbing the winner of the original bout

Was that Chiyotairyu v Kotoeko? Chiyotairyu's feet were both in the air and outside the dohyo before Kotoeko touched. A torinaoshi seemed reasonable to me.

• Like 1

The gyoji in Takakeisho´s bout gave nothing about that both hands down rule. Both of Takakeisho´s hands were nowhere near the ground at the tachiai, I was really surprised he didn´t call a matta.

It's like groundhog day, every Basho the Ozeki have me worried from day one. Basho needed exactly one day to get wild in Makuuchi...

We may have seen the last of Kaisei, at least in sekitori. He stopped fighting after a few seconds and favored his right shoulder in obvious pain.
I seem to remember Tomozuna kabu being available already ... or he may be ready to compete tomorrow, what do I know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1