Benevolance

Haru 2022 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

14 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

And, if I might be permitted a completely off-topic comment... I made komusubi! Hooray for me.

Congratulations, Tiger-san!  The beers are on you.

• Like 1

Toseiryu now 0-2. Somewhat expected this, as his competition during maezumo wasn't the greatest 

• Like 1

2022 MARCH (HARU) SUMO BASHO LINKS AND STATISTICS BLOG--DAY 2, MARCH 14, COMPLETE

Links to NHK videos of Yokozuna and all Ozeki matches (with a bit more of the pre-match stuff than before), photos from nikkansports, results, match articles from Kyodo News, Tachiai.org, and nikkan sports, Kimarite and time statistics, Top rank performance, maegashira v san-yaku, and more.

• Like 1

Daieisho is always a tricky customer... I said after day one that it felt to me like the Yokozuna was not at 100% and I stand by that, but I don't think he looked worse in defeat than in victory. 

He is still officially 97kg but Enho looks like he's added a bit of beef. He certainly looked strong against Churanoumi today to go to 3-0. Is this the start of an Enho Renaissance or have I just jinxed him?

Daishoho and Yago give us an example of what might be called "monster truck sumo".

21 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Not sure why many are quick to conclude Terunofuji's days are numbered (as in he won't make it through the current calendar year).  Yesterday, he defeated Hoshoryu quite handily.  Daieisho has consistently given Teru the most trouble, so the loss today was half expected: a combination of skilful tactics by Daieisho and Daieisho being in Terunofuji's head (as a dangerous foe).

The look that Teru gave Isegahama Oyakata (who was sitting ringside as the head judge) right after the loss was priceless, though.  It was as if he were saying, "What am I supposed to do about that?"

+1.  Daieisho did well, period.

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Is this the start of an Enho Renaissance or have I just jinxed him?

Neither.  I pegged Enho to ride the Juryo<->Makuuchi elevator until his little body gives out.  :-(

Nishikigi Yusho - you heard it here first. B-)

• Like 3

Terutsuyoshi looked to injure his shoulder in that throw - but since he could still pull it off, it'll probably not hamper him too much?

20 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

Terutsuyoshi looked to injure his shoulder in that throw - but since he could still pull it off, it'll probably not hamper him too much?

If his shoulder is still attached to his body, it will not hamper him too much. ;-)

Early report on NHK is that Ishiura hurt his neck in his loss to Kotonowaka.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

He is still officially 97kg but Enho looks like he's added a bit of beef. He certainly looked strong against Churanoumi today to go to 3-0. Is this the start of an Enho Renaissance or have I just jinxed him?

Funny you should mention him on the day he chooses to start with an opening harite - much like someone else we know of that stable...

27 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Early report on NHK is that Ishiura hurt his neck in his loss to Kotonowaka.

That looks similar to what happened to Takakeisho against Ichinojo a few basho ago.

And wow, fantastic sukuinage from Hoshoryu to attempt to salvage the bout. Wonder what the mono-ii outcome will be.

EDIT: seems to be the dead body rule - I understood the setsumei to mean that Takakeisho's body went flying first. Nice scalp for Hoshoryu, but bad news for the kadoban ozeki.

Edited by Seiyashi

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

EDIT: seems to be the dead body rule - I understood the setsumei to mean that Takakeisho's body went flying first. Nice scalp for Hoshoryu, but bad news for the kadoban ozeki.

Oh they ruled on the dead body? I thought they would rule on the foot touching down but didn't bother actually listening to the explanation.

I think that's a really impressive effort from hoshoryu - takakeisho's 2nd ever loss from sukuinage, the other being to myogiryu in 2021 Aki.

4 minutes ago, Yarimotsu said:

Oh they ruled on the dead body? I thought they would rule on the foot touching down but didn't bother actually listening to the explanation.

I think that's a really impressive effort from hoshoryu - takakeisho's 2nd ever loss from sukuinage, the other being to myogiryu in 2021 Aki.

Shinitai was not explicitly mentioned, but Isegahama said: "The mono-ii was about whether Takakeisho's body went flying first. He did, so the gunbai stands."

MISSING: Shodai's sumo

Whereas the spirit of sumo seems to have deserted the body of our soon-to-be-late ozeki, Shodai, as a result of which he has suffered declining business and been out of sorts. It was suggested that Mitakeumi might have temporarily picked it up, but he has been deemed not to be in possession by the simple fact of winning. A reward will be offered to anyone who finds and restores Shodai's sumo to him, being the eternal gratitude of this otherwise lacklustre rikishi.

• Like 2

Gee, at this rate, we may have only one Ozeki in the next basho. 

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Gee, at this rate, we may have only one Ozeki in the next basho. 

Called it first XD

And this is the how many-th basho in a row that Shikimori Inosuke has gone sashichigae again?

Ura vs Terunofuji should have been a torinaoshi, based on all the shitty camera angles I was privy to courtesy of Abema. Not a damn thing to see on the replays with everything blocked by the gyoji, but looked too close to all in real time. Why the rush to wrap up? Was the news coming on or something?

Just now, since_94 said:

Ura vs Terunofuji should have been a torinaoshi, based on all the shitty camera angles I was privy to courtesy of Abema. Not a damn thing to see on the replays with everything blocked by the gyoji, but looked too close to all in real time. Why the rush to wrap up? Was the news coming on or something?

Isegahama-oyakata didn't want his golden boy to lose, simple as

10 minutes ago, since_94 said:

NHK had the money shot right at the end: when both rikishi were teetering, Ura's heel ground into the janome just microseconds before Terunofuji's right foot touched down.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

As an Enho fan, I was trying my best not to comment on Mighty Mouse's strong start to this tournament.  Given that you and one or two others have finally drawn attention to him, I think I can safely chime in without feeling guilty if and when he does start to lose.  Yeah, the jinx is officially on.

Seems to me that Corona has interfered with updating sekitori/rikishi height/weight statistics.  Normally, new stats are released before each tournament in Tokyo, but there didn't seem to be any change in January.  Pretty frustrating to fans like us who put stock in fluctuations therein.

Enho has been dealing with numerous injuries, but this tournament, he seems to have healed up (at least some of them).  I'm happy that he is no longer being forced to squat at the bales before getting crushed out.

His Renaissance seems to be coinciding with an Ishiura Renaissance.  Hopefully, Ishiura bounces back from his nasty fall today...

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

His Renaissance seemed to coincide with an Ishiura Renaissance.  Hopefully, Ishiura bounces back from his nasty fall today...

Because of the extra time a certain recently-retired yokozuna can spend coaching them instead of worrying about himself? Enho's opening harite today was quite telling.

Edited by Seiyashi

11 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

NHK had the money shot right at the end: when both rikishi were teetering, Ura's heel ground into the janome just microseconds before Terunofuji's right foot touched down.

It was a clear win by Terunofuji. 

• Like 1