Benevolance

Haru 2022 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I was hoping that you were only joking, but you never know when someone might need a little human kindness.  Better safe than sorry. ;-)

Thanks again(Hugging...)

• Like 3

Links to NHK videos of Yokozuna and all Ozeki matches (with a bit more of the pre-match stuff than before), photos from nikkansports, results, match articles from Kyodo News, Tachiai.org, and nikkan sports, Kimarite and time statistics, Top rank performance, maegashira v san-yaku, and more. Nice Mainichi Shimbun Photo Feature today--23 photos.

Enjoy

Can anybody explain why they would have Shodai vs Takakeisho on day 12??? Traditionally Shodai as the top most rikishi on the banzuke should face Takakeisho in the musubi no ichiban on senshuraku, who in the world are they going to have him face then? I doubt that they would have Takakeisho vs Mitakeumi as the musubi no ichiban then?

5 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Can anybody explain why they would have Shodai vs Takakeisho on day 12??? Traditionally Shodai as the top most rikishi on the banzuke should face Takakeisho in the musubi no ichiban on senshuraku, who in the world are they going to have him face then? I doubt that they would have Takakeisho vs Mitakeumi as the musubi no ichiban then?

Possibly keeping Ozeki free to face the yusho-chasing pack at the weekend?

Enho got his KK today!  He is fighting well, getting an inside position and working the belt.  Today against Hidenoumi, that involved the vertical section along the "crack".  

Enho will be going back up the banzuke, just how far will depend on how many more wins he can secure over the next four days.  Renaissance confirmed ... for now.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Can anybody explain why they would have Shodai vs Takakeisho on day 12??? Traditionally Shodai as the top most rikishi on the banzuke should face Takakeisho in the musubi no ichiban on senshuraku, who in the world are they going to have him face then?

That tradition has been scrapped for the third basho in a row now, and every time because of a subpar Shodai.

Yeah, at least they will face each other at all. Terunofuji vs Shodai was just skipped 2 times in a row.

Tochinoshin secures his first Makuuchi kachikoshi since November 2020 with a pretty amusing tsuridashi on Terutsuyoshi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, well. WTK moves into the shared lead.

Wow Wakatakakage....what a fight. He did really well to get Takayasu in a high position, difficult for Takayasu to recover there. The final few days are going to be very interesting indeed!

Shodai is in the black for the first time this basho. 

Mitakeumi can thank WTK for that win, as his own victory over Abi moves him back within one of the lead, and he will surely get the chance to overturn that deficit in coming days. We only wait now to see if Kotonowaka joins him one off the pace, or beats Takekeisho to stay with WTK and Takayasu.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Tochinoshin secures his first Makuuchi kachikoshi since November 2020 with a pretty amusing tsuridashi on Terutsuyoshi.

Incidentally, Tochinoshin is technically in the yusho race. He's on 8-3, two behind the leaders on 10-1.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Mitakeumi can thank WTK for that win, as his own victory over Abi moves him back within one of the lead, and he will surely get the chance to overturn that deficit in coming days. We only wait now to see if Kotonowaka joins him one off the pace, or beats Takekeisho to stay with WTK and Takayasu.

And KTW drops to 9-2, one off the pace with Mitakeumi. Takakeisho clears the kadoban hurdle and is also technically in the yusho race at 8-3. That's two guys on 10-1, two on 9-2, two on 8-3. Good prospects for the final few days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

And KTW drops to 9-2, one off the pace with Mitakeumi. 

Don't like that. Not the fact that Kotonowaka lost, but your abbreviation. Surely it should be KNW. :-P

---

What a pity Wakatakakage vs Takayasu couldn't be the musubi-no-ichiban on senshuraku, as I believe they are the 2 most in form rikishi this basho. Still, we may yet get to see them in a play-off.
I hope this solitary loss doesn't throw Takayasu into the downward spiral we've seen before. So far, he's been acting like whatever was weighing on his mind has been lifted. 
Wakatakakage's outstanding performance seems to me to be a product of psychology, too. He's not coming back from a bad place, though; it's more like growing confidence and self belief. He's already the best rikishi his family has ever produced, and he still can't see the ceiling.

Shodai is on an actual winning streak and may clear kadoban after all. Wut?

Week-2-fade Mitakeumi looks to be a thing of the past. Looks like he's odd-loss Mitakeumi now, and the ozeki run wasn't just a fluke. According to their erstwhile remarkably even h2h, he's about due a loss to Shodai, too...

The yusho race is wide open and I'm going to be happy no matter who gets it.

• Like 1

Mitakeumi seems to have some kind of immunity against pushers. Guys like Abi and Tamawashi couldn't push him back.

Is Takayasu crumbling already? Hope not!

5 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

To get it out of the way because neither is in the yusho race really. Takakeisho may have his KK but he hasn't looked THAT much better than Shodai this basho when you look at the whole 11 days. In a way it's kind of a gift to Shodai as Takakeisho will probably go into "If it's an easy win I'll take it otherwise meh Mode" now that he's cleared kadoban. 

Tough loss for Takayasu but Wakatakakage  looked great. No shame in that.  Wakatakakage still has the Ozeki to face.  He's 5-12 against Ozeki and all those wins came very early in the basho. Much different animal in the last few days with the yusho on the line.  Takayasu has the same road to hoe but as a former Ozeki with a deep track record against them it's a much different perspective. Very interesting.  If Takayasu can bounce back with a win against Mitakeumi it's still his basho I think. He's got a very good record against him but has lost the last 2 to Mitekeumi. A loss and we'll probably see the old Takayasu finish.  I'm favoring Takayasu though. Mitekeumi has done well this basho but he hasn't beaten anyone who gives him trouble except hapless Takanasho so far. 

Tough loss for Kotonowaka, but expected. Some day.  And now he has Wakatakkage. Oh well. He can still eek out a sansho. Maybe. 

Makushita comment - interested to follow the progress of Kinbozan (Makushita 34W). He's in his third basho after entering the banzuke with a Sandanme tsukedashi, and he's currently in the Makushita yusho arasoi at 6-0. This follows a 7-0 yusho in Sandanme and 5-2 in his first basho Makushita. He's doing very well, seems to be one for the future and looks likely to reach Juryo later this year. I hope he continues to do well as he rises up the banzuke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sumoforever said:

Makushita comment - interested to follow the progress of Kinbozan (Makushita 34W). He's in his third basho after entering the banzuke with a Sandanme tsukedashi, and he's currently in the Makushita yusho arasoi at 6-0. This follows a 7-0 yusho in Sandanme and 5-2 in his first basho Makushita. He's doing very well, seems to be one for the future and looks likely to reach Juryo later this year. I hope he continues to do well as he rises up the banzuke.

He's a biggun'.

I definitely was rather shocked to see Shodai vs. Takakeisho on the Day 12 torikumi.  They obviously want to make sure that the Ozeki are free to take on Takayasu and Kotonowaka if needed the last couple days, and not have Shodai get away with not facing all the top ranks in a basho where he's kadoban and hasn't cleared it yet.  With them also needing to get in Wakatakakage vs. the Ozeki for sure, it makes some sense to get the least compelling yusho race match out of the way first out of the matches between the top 4.  I also am not following the schedule as closely as I usually do, so I'm not sure what all is left on the schedule.

29 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I also am not following the schedule as closely as I usually do, so I'm not sure what all is left on the schedule.

Even with the top Ozeki duel out of the way, they still have to skip another O/S matchup which had to happen tomorrow but doesn't.

• Like 1

OK so... Did anyone else's jaw drop, as the original camera misled us into thinking Ura had flattened Asakayama-oyakata with a good old puroresu cannonball?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

OK so... Did anyone else's jaw drop, as the original camera misled us into thinking Ura had flattened Asakayama-oyakata with a good old puroresu cannonball?

Wouldn't be the first time Asakayama-oyakata has been hit by incoming artillery off the dohyō...

Apropos of that (and perhaps ironically so), I wonder if Tamawashi is harbouring some injury. That's at least the second if not the third kotenage he's used this bashō (kotenage also having been a minor trademark of Asakayama in his active days), which he sort of forswore after causing Takayasu serious injury with it some years back.

There's also this little frisson in the hanamichi after the musubi today:

https://twitter.com/OneLoveLulit/status/1506558244072099844

(Rich link isn't working, but it's a shot of Kotonowaka and Takakeishō both venting some frustration.)

Edited by Seiyashi

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Don't like that. Not the fact that Kotonowaka lost, but your abbreviation. Surely it should be KNW. :-P

Hehe. True. I just reassembled the letters for Wakatakakage: WTK.