Godango

Mitakeumi Ozeki Promotion

If a special board meeting is being convened then the chances are pretty damn good, to be honest - at least 90% if not better. I suppose there is some chance there will be dissent but it's as good as in the bag. 

Edited by Seiyashi

14 hours ago, Sue said:

That's because he's Mitakeumi.

...and now Charlie Brown has actually kicked the field goal! Congratulations, Mitakeumi!

• Haha 2

I think that since he got the Yusho and are getting very desperate for an ozeki they will likely promote him for the March basho. the only Ozeki that had a chance to be a yokozuna was Asanoyama. Since they banned him we will likely not have a yokozuna when Terunofuji retires. The JSA needs to find a better punishment system because they are starting to hurt themselves.

When the NSK lets the NHK talk about the EGM of the judging committee during the yusho interview, it's pretty much a done deal, isn't it?

I mean, I know they asked Takakeisho for another DD, but he was very young and they have a track record of being cautious about promoting young rikishi.

Mitakeumi is 29 and he's given them no cause for concern with his extended sanyaku track record.

33/45 topped with a yusho means he's on all fours in front of the mics tomorrow morning. 

16 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

When the NSK lets the NHK talk about the EGM of the judging committee during the yusho interview, it's pretty much a done deal, isn't it?

Yup, he's in. It all but formally announced.

13 hours ago, Roshar said:

I think that since he got the Yusho and are getting very desperate for an ozeki they will likely promote him for the March basho. 

I really don't think the desperation would have come into it in the end. 33 wins in three tournaments at Sekiwake with a yusho and defeats of ozeki and yokozuna along the way, that's a completely justified promotion, free of scrutiny.

Edited by Godango
  • Like 2

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202201240000239.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

Nikkan announces that the ceremony will be tomorrow morning. So yes, pretty much done.

EDIT: Well, technically, it will be decided at the EGM tomorrow morning. But considering all the information we have it'd be pretty interesting if it were not a done deal.

Edited by Seiyashi

NSK live on YouTube for Mitakeumi's promotion:

https://youtu.be/B63RceX533E

EDIT: If a mod wishes to retitle this thread, "Mitakeumi Ozeki Promotion" would be more suitable. The only moderation action available to me is to delete. 

Edited by Godango
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Godango said:

NSK live on YouTube for Mitakeumi's promotion:

https://youtu.be/B63RceX533E

EDIT: If a mod wishes to retitle this thread, "Mitakeumi Ozeki Promotion" would be more suitable. The only moderation action available to me is to delete. 

You can edit the title of the thread since you created it.  It's not a "moderator action".  Just edit the first post.

• Thanks 1

Great to see it finalized. As a point of trivia, does this make him the second rikishi of part-Filipino descent to make Ozeki? (Takayasu being the other I know of.)

Congrats to Mitakeumi, and a good thing too, or else we might not have an Ozeki in May :)

Mrs. Churaumi asked me last night if I'd heard of anything about this. I had YouTube on the TV looking for something to watch right as the ceremony started streaming. Couldn't have planned it better if I tried.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Great to see it finalized. As a point of trivia, does this make him the second rikishi of part-Filipino descent to make Ozeki? (Takayasu being the other I know of.)

Yes, can't think of any others. 

42 minutes ago, Gaijingai said:

My antivirus throws up a warning when I try to access that link, so here's the JPTimes version:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2022/01/26/sumo/inside-sumo-mitakeumi/

@Gaijingai you might want to consider an antivirus sweep of your computer also, if the link didn't tally with the site you visited.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Yes, can't think of any others. 

I didn't realize the Taka twins are part-Filipino, not that we'll be seeing them make Ozeki now!

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

I didn't realize the Taka twins are part-Filipino, not that we'll be seeing them make Ozeki now!

I don't think anyone here knew until ex-Takanofuji took up Sudario as his MMA ring name, noting that it was the family name on his mother's side.

Posted (edited)

New ozeki Mitakeumi is a May puppet expectation general for Children's/Boy's day on May 5th. Maker Kyugetsu for the 10th time produced a set of PR puppets of the (sports or politics) celebrities of the year.

AS20220323001470_comm.jpgo

AS20220323001469_commL.jpgo

Kyodo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKMBv-5Tq4

Edit: In 2016 Kotoshogiku and in 2017 Kisenosato were such kitai taisho 34283-sumo-art/?do=findComment&comment=331534

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Mitakeumi was at the head offices of the local Nagano paper Shinano Mainichi shimbun to report his ozeki promotion to the director

CNTS2022040600963_S.jpgo

CNTS2022040600966_S.jpgo CNTS2022040600964_S.jpgo

• Like 1