WAKATAKE

Hatsu 2022 Best Match Nominations Thread

Hi everyone! I am inspired this year to start back up what I tried to do a few years ago, and this time I am sticking to it. Once again we will attempt to find out what our community thinks are the best matches of the basho, and this thread will be the nominations thread for said matches. The way I would like to make this go will be written down below and hopefully easy enough for everyone to understand. Hoping to see some great nominations for Hatsu 2022!

Rules for Hatsu 2022 Best Match Nominations:

1. Anyone on the forum is welcome to submit a nomination
2. Matches from all six divisions are eligible for nomination
3. All nominations need to have a video source
     a. Makuuchi and Juryo matches normally have video sources readily available
     b. If you are nominating a lower division match, you'll need to post the source yourself
     c. Any embedded source will suffice if necessary
     d. Link to the basho video thread will be posted for everyone's convenience
4. Nominations will be divided into three categories that are listed below:
     a. Best Technical Match --> Match that you thought contained great technique used to win the match
     b. Best Upset Match --> Match that featured an upset, this could be from a kinboshi/ginboshi upset, a lower ranked rikishi winning, a person with a not so great person beating someone who is having a good basho, or someone who has a losing record against someone they beat
     c. Most Spirited Match --> Match that got you excited or the crowd lit up
5. Nominations will be put into a pool and then put into a qualifications poll at the end of the basho
     a. The top 5 placing matches in each category after the first poll ends will then compete in the Match of the Basho Finals Poll
     b. The Match of the Basho winners in each category will qualify for the Match of the Year Poll, as well as two at large matches with the most votes after the category winners 
     c. The match that also receives the most votes over the two basho polls will be crowned Best Match of the Basho

I am hoping that we'll get to see some great match nominations, and add to another great activity here on the forum (as if we don't have enough things going on)

Hatsu 2022 Video thread:

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 2

Hatsu 2022 Nominations List:

Best Technical Match

- Day 1 Hoshoryu vs Chiyoshoma (sotogake) WAKATAKE
- Day 2 Ishiura vs Sadanoumi (shitatenage) Eikokurai
- Day 3 Meisei vs Ichinojo (yorikiri) Kashunowaka
- Day 9 Ishiura vs Tsurugisho (shitatehineri) Kashunowaka
- Day 10 Ishiura vs Kotonowaka (shitatenage) Seiyashi
- Day 10 Akua vs Kaisei (kekaeshi) WAKATAKE
- Day 11 Terutsuyoshi vs Yutakayama (makiotoshi) Seiyashi
- Day 12 Endo vs Kiribayama (uwatenage) WAKATAKE
- Day 13 Ishiura vs Oho (shitatehineri) hakutorizakura
- Day 15 Midorifuji vs Kagayaki (katasukashi) WAKATAKE
- Day 15 Wakamotoharu vs Akua (yoritaoshi) WAKATAKE

Best Upset Match

- Day 1 Ichinojo vs Takanosho (yorikiri) WAKATAKE
- Day 2 Meisei vs Takakeisho (tsukiotoshi) WAKATAKE
- Day 3 Ura vs Takakeisho (oshitaoshi) Seiyashi
- Day 6 Tamawashi vs Terunofuji (tsukiotoshi) Seiyashi
- Day 10 Hokutofuji vs Mitakeumi (oshidashi) WAKATAKE
- Day 12 Onosho vs Mitakeumi (hikiotoshi) WAKATAKE
- Day 12 Meisei vs Terunofuji (katasukashi) WAKATAKE
- Day 13 Nishikawa vs Ryuden (hikiotoshi) Tigerboy1966
- Day 14 Abi vs Terunofuji (oshidashi) WAKATAKE

Most Spirited Match

- Day 1 Terunofuji vs Daieisho (hatakikomi) WAKATAKE
- Day 3 Meisei vs Ichinojo (yorikiri) WAKATAKE
- Day 3 Nionoumi vs Ichiki (oshitaoshi) WAKATAKE
- Day 10 Tochinoshin vs Shohozan (tsuridashi) WAKATAKE
- Day 11 Mitakeumi vs Shodai (yorikiri) Seiyashi
- Day 12 Ichinojo vs Takarafuji (yorikiri) WAKATAKE
- Day 14 Hoshoryu vs Shodai (yorikiri) WAKATAKE
- Day 15 Chiyonokuni vs Kotoeko (okuridashi) WAKATAKE
- Day 15 Abi vs Kotonowaka (hikiotoshi) WAKATAKE
- Day 15 Ichinojo vs Tochinoshin (yorikiri) WAKATAKE

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Hatsu 2022 Nominations List:

Best Technical Match

- Day 1 Hoshoryu vs Chiyoshoma (sotogake)

Best Upset Match

- Day 1 Ichinojo vs Takanosho (yorikiri)

Most Spirited Match

- Day 1 Terunofuji vs Daieisho (hatakikomi)

I'm in agreement with the ginosho and kantosho, but we might see more upsets later on down the road. It's certainly a candidate but not a very strong one atm. 

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

I'm in agreement with the ginosho and kantosho, but we might see more upsets later on down the road. It's certainly a candidate but not a very strong one atm. 

Agreed. If that match were to be upset of the basho, that means all three yokozuna and ozeki do their thing this basho

39 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

that means all three yokozuna and ozeki do their thing this basho

The ozeki are flaky enough that losses wouldn't really be upsets IMO. Maybe something like a pure yotsu-type beating Takakeisho in tsuki-oshi like Kiribayama beating Takakeisho a few basho back, but that's about the same level as the current candidate. Anyone who beats Terunofuji should pretty much get it, by this metric, so the next closest is going to have to be Daieisho at the moment. Alternatively, anyone who puts a serious spike in Mitakeumi's ozeki charge, if he keeps it up into the next week.

Best Technical Match for Day 2 candidate:

Ishiura beats Sadanoumi by a very cleanly executed shitatenage.

• Like 3

Nothing else that really stood out to my mind, unless we would consider Meisei’s win over K’sho an upset

For a certain value of upset, Ura v Takakeisho, I guess. Ura managed to take it to Takakeisho not once but twice and had to pull out a half henka to win when both of them were at the end of their rope, plus there's what happened to Ura yesterday. Not a strong contender IMO, for the reasons I've outlined before regarding ozeki losses, but probably the most surprising and not the way I'd expected it to have gone.

Edited by Seiyashi

I thought that Meisei's win over Ichinojo on day 3 was an excellent display of technique from the komusubi.

• Like 1

I think this was a very fighting spirit esque match with Meisei over Ichinojo

1 hour ago, Kashunowaka said:

I thought that Meisei's win over Ichinojo on day 3 was an excellent display of technique from the komusubi.

Especially when you see him moving around stiff as a board because of that lower back injury. 

Chris Gould posted a match that caught my attention for a nominee for spirited match, Nionoumi vs Ichiki in makushita. I'm posting the Natto Sumo vid below:

So many good matches for day 4! Terunofuji vs Ura just to name one, I’ll have to rewatch and post the others when I’m done with work

1 hour ago, Kashunowaka said:

I nominate Ishiura winning with shitatehineri vs Tsurugisho on day 9.

That was impressive.

9 hours ago, Rocks said:
10 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

I nominate Ishiura winning with shitatehineri vs Tsurugisho on day 9.

That was impressive.

Ishiura seems to have outdone himself today against Kotonowaka. And to make it even more impressive, Kotonowaka actually had had the advantage for much of the match, too, and was no slouch himself technically. I'd nominate Ishiura - Kotonowaka on Day 10 for the Technical match prize.

Edited by Seiyashi

Oh yes: Upset match almost certainly has to be Tamawashi v Terunofuji on day 6.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Ishiura seems to have outdone himself today against Kotonowaka. And to make it even more impressive, Kotonowaka actually had had the advantage for much of the match, too, and was no slouch himself technically. I'd nominate Ishiura - Kotonowaka on Day 10 for the Technical match prize.

My thoughts exactly. If he gets to 9-6 I'll hope he will be a candidate for the real gino-sho.

Fighting spirit on day 10 also props to Tochinoshin vs Shohozan, two vets giving much for that signature tsuridashi at the end

Technique for Akua not with the kakenage but a Kekaeshi

Upset of the day definitely for Hokutofuji over Mita, getting him off rhythm 

• Like 1

Terutsuyoshi v Yutakayama deserves an honourable mention for that out of nowhere makiotoshi. The entire bout isn't quite as good as Ishiura's have been, but the finish needs multiple rewatches to really fully appreciate. I wouldn't nominate it for the technique match myself, but I would definitely second it if anyone does. 

More facetiously, should Mitakeumi v Shodai get a nomination for Fighting Spirit? Shodai almost put more back into the bout than he has for the entire basho, and Mitakeumi seems to have unjinxed himself in coming back strong from that loss to Hokutofuji. 

Spirited match for Ichinojo vs Takarafuji

Technique for Endo vs Kiribayama

Upsets 

Onosho vs Mitakeumi

Meisei vs Terunofuji

• Like 1

Gladly obliging this upset, I thought for sure Ryuden had this in the bag too

I've always enjoyed Ishiura's hineri moves. He did a couple of those this basho. Beautiful. Too bad no sansho for him (best personal basho record notwithstanding).

I'll be going through all nominations and also watch through the matches again to see if we missed anything. I heard there were some good match in juryo, so will check those too. Anyone who wants to nominate more matches feel free to post!

I'll be looking at getting the final list completed this week and get the poll started next week!