Sign in to follow this  
ryafuji

Can users leaving the forum delete all their posts?

Recommended Posts

Is it technically possible to just delete all the posts you have ever made even if they run into the thousands? I ask because there is a user who is taking a break and all but two of his posts seem to have disappeared. This has the unfortunate consequence of making threads in which they have participated hard to follow, as users are sometimes replying to posts that don't exist anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is yes, you can delete all of your posts but not topic starting posts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

The answer is yes, you can delete all of your posts but not topic starting posts. 

Unfortunately, you can, which will make the whole topic disappear. So don't.

And I guess I know who this "user who is taking a break" is as he already went on a deleting spree before in the distant past.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid question .... Why delete all his/her past posts? Is there something to be ashamed of? A way to "ruin" threads? Just being ignorant of the consequences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Unfortunately, you can, which will make the whole topic disappear. So don't.

Really? That is interesting because in the past I tried to delete a topic starting post that I had made but I could not figure out how to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athenayama said:

Stupid question .... Why delete all his/her past posts? Is there something to be ashamed of? A way to "ruin" threads? Just being ignorant of the consequences?

Privacy via online erasure, I guess. Not without precedent, since you'd be surprised how easy it is to link seemingly minor details one has left about oneself scattered through the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Privacy via online erasure, I guess. Not without precedent, since you'd be surprised how easy it is to link seemingly minor details one has left about oneself scattered through the internet.

Well since we all use nicknames here, it's not really easy to connect our posts with "reall life", isn't t? Your point is relevant though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Athenayama said:

Well since we all use nicknames here, it's not really easy to connect our posts with "reall life", isn't t? Your point is relevant though.

You'll know where I live if you looked at the new member section...

Granted, erasing all posts is a bit drastic. But if the posts number into the hundreds or thousands and the user doesn't particularly feel like their posts hold much informative value, then I can see why the user would rather nuke all their posts than sort through them, especially if the user is feeling under a bit of ennui.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

You'll know where I live if you looked at the new member section...

 

Not if you're using a vpn. ;-)

The rest of your post makes completely sense, I totally understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

You'll know where I live if you looked at the new member section...

Granted, erasing all posts is a bit drastic. But if the posts number into the hundreds or thousands and the user doesn't particularly feel like their posts hold much informative value, then I can see why the user would rather nuke all their posts than sort through them, especially if the user is feeling under a bit of ennui.

The disappointing thing is that this particular user's posts are very informative given the amount of "insider" knowledge they have.

Edited by ryafuji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Really? That is interesting because in the past I tried to delete a topic starting post that I had made but I could not figure out how to do it. 

It's to be found at the top of the thread under the "Moderation Actions" button, not on the first post itself.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a surprising development. Some people really live in the past. I know you would not know it sometimes in Japan, but internet and information technology happened and info is more widely available. Archive.org also exist so if you need to trawl something from the forum's past track, it should be available too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a member who deleted all his posts many years ago. I don't remember who it was, I'll need to Check. Who has done it this time, or is this a national security secret issue?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Shiroikuma deleted his posts when he left some years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

I think Shiroikuma deleted his posts when he left some years back.

I did say I needed to Check that..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this