• green
    • blue
    • brown
    • purple
    • pink
    • gold
    • black
    • other colour, please specify in comments

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/22 at 04:45

Disclaimer/introduction for new players

The Wall:

If a sumotori gets his first makekoshi (MK = losing record) in that respective division, it's called "hitting the wall" (KK = winning record, means missing the wall, which is a good thing). This basho we have Wakamotoharu (brother of Wakatakakage) and Oho in makuuchi. In Juryo we have Asanowaka and newly promoted ShidenKitanowaka and Kotoyusho.

Shiden was forced to go kyujo (retirement form upcoming or ongoing basho, normally connected to an injury), because he is suspected of illegal gambling, which is one of the many big no-nos in Japan. But he is on the banzuke, so i will include him here, in the unlikely (unlikely, because time's running) event the allegations prove to be untrue and he is allowed to compete. If there is no resolve to this situation before the basho starts, or if the allegations are true, any votes for him are voided.

Promotion/demotion/kadoban/intai:

An Ozeki winning less then 8 bouts is set on the kadoban status. If he doesn't score 8 wins the following basho, he is demoted to Sekiwake. Both current Ozeki scored 8+ wins last basho, so no kadoban watch.

Mitakeumi scored 20 wins over the 2 last basho, so 12 wins place him in the Ozeki promotion zone. 13 wins would be better, because he started from a 9-6, but 14 or even 15 wins (Mitakeumi zensho? You funny man.) would guarantee a promotion.

Guess the colour of the giant macaron:

One of the prizes for the yusho winner is a giant fake macaron (as placeholder for a load of real, normal sized macarons from one of the best Pâtisseries in Paris). The colour varies and it has become a popular game to guess it.

Edited by Benihana

If Mitakeumi gets the 12-13 wins he needs fora promotion, he'll certainly deserve it, IMO.

And having brother Wakas in makuuchi is too appealing to vote against.

Shiden is out, all votes void.

The yusho race is still open, until there is an official decision whether to promote Mitakeumi or not. But since promotion is guaranteed, i hereby humbly declare myself the winner with a jun-yusho for @Kaminariyuki

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 02:08, Benihana said:

The yusho race is still open, until there is an official decision whether to promote Mitakeumi or not. But since promotion is guaranteed, i hereby humbly declare myself the winner with a jun-yusho for @Kaminariyuki

I wish I'd written down how I voted, LOL. Mitakeumi had a very good basho and he could find himself the only Ozeki in short order, although we hope not, of Cours. 

On 23/01/2022 at 02:08, Benihana said:

Hey, are you certain? It looks to me like you and I had the same number of correct calls in both the Wall and Promotions.I was the only person to call Shodai kadoban. I might not understand how you are scoring, though, and it's not exactly a big deal.

Either way, I'm curious what the color was of the giant macaron...

5 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Either way, I'm curious what the color was of the giant macaron...

It was pink and that broke your neck ;)

On 24/01/2022 at 15:44, Benihana said:

It was pink and that broke your neck ;)

Ach, got me on the pink macaron! And on a really good Ura basho, as well.  Nicely done. *insert slight bow*

• Thanks 1