Sign in to follow this  
Seiyashi

Hidenoumi and Shiden under suspicion of illegal gambling

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

(Eh?)

Which parallel universe are you talking about?

Obviously one far, far away (Eh?) (right back at you) :-D

Nantonoyama thanks for the reply
 

1 hour ago, Yarimotsu said:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M8&form1_wins=0&offset=100

A query reveals that Hidenoumi should land somewhere between J3 and J7.

See, that's why my GTB is so bad, Yarimotsu thanks for the search lesson.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kujo said:

Moti-san, You mentioned Hidenoumi dropping to Juryo. Is this after going 0-15 in the next basho while still in Makuuchi?

He wouldn't (normally) drop to Juryo from the current banzuke with a 0-15 at Maegashira 8, or is this the punishment? 

It's looking like I'm going to be dead last in GTB again. (Laughing...)

I think he normally would with a 0-15 from M8, and that looks like what's happened here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other outlets are indeed saying that charges are being filed. Nikkan says otherwise. The gambling was done on Pachisuro slot machines.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm unclear about this "charges being filed".  Is it inherently illegal for a Japanese citizen to play these slots?  Did the police make a big sweeping bust of the whole building and these two got caught up in it?  Is there a law in Japan that says "rikishi can't play certain types of slot machines"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm unclear about this "charges being filed".  Is it inherently illegal for a Japanese citizen to play these slots?  Did the police make a big sweeping bust of the whole building and these two got caught up in it?  Is there a law in Japan that says "rikishi can't play certain types of slot machines"?

Gambling for money is illegal in Japan with a few very strictly regulated exceptions.  However there are legal pachinko slot parlours where you can gamble for certain prizes that can be exchanged for money in adjacent "totally not related" places. That is tolerated in the society and very common. 

In the Hidenoumi and Shiden case the keyword is illegal. That means that they didn't go to a legal establishment, but rather an underground place most likely run by organised crime. That's illegal for any Japanese citizen and especially bad for rikishi considering they're supposed to uphold bushido and so on. 

Edited by dingo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm unclear about this "charges being filed".  Is it inherently illegal for a Japanese citizen to play these slots?  Did the police make a big sweeping bust of the whole building and these two got caught up in it?  Is there a law in Japan that says "rikishi can't play certain types of slot machines"?

I am guessing here but:

A: Yes - not 100% sure, but gambling (except horses and dogs and one more thing I forgot) is illegal in Japan, although pachinko seems to be a gray area..

B: Yes

C: if it's illegal, then it's illegal for rikishi as well. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

One basho suspension for Hidenoumi, nothing for Shiden. Hidenoumi drops to Juryo and will miss the next basho, Shiden back to Makushita, no further punishment. They went to the joint a few times, bet on small amounts and it did not happen during the time when rikishi were not allowed to go out.

Ex-Takagenji is furious about this leniency (he was thrown out, though in the end there were no charges): "What is different from my case? Is the NSK the law?" "In my case the compliance bunch said, because it was against the law, and now it was not?" https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/3950036/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ex-Takagenji is furious about this leniency (he was thrown out, though in the end there were no charges): "What is different from my case? Is the NSK the law?" "In my case the compliance bunch said, because it was against the law, and now it was not?" https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/3950036/

 

Yeah, gambling vs. drugs. I think there is no comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kintamayama said:

Yeah, gambling vs. drugs. I think there is no comparison.

Drugs that probably were no drugs - he claims he took that cannabis oil Nishonoseki is doing PR for, and the police dropped charges - this time there may be charges, so the level of illegality may be incomparably higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I am guessing here but:

A: Yes - not 100% sure, but gambling (except horses and dogs and one more thing I forgot) is illegal in Japan, although pachinko seems to be a gray area..

B: Yes

C: if it's illegal, then it's illegal for rikishi as well. 

Bicycle racing is the other one I think

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

Drugs that probably were no drugs - he claims he took that cannabis oil Nishonoseki is doing PR for, and the police dropped charges - this time there may be charges, so the level of illegality may be incomparably higher.

Oh, didn't know-I thought he was actually caught smoking. Didn't know it was oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Oh, didn't know-I thought he was actually caught smoking. Didn't know it was oil.

From memory they found ash in an ashtray which was tested, and some other paraphernalia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mightyduck said:
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

but gambling (except horses and dogs and one more thing I forgot) is illegal in Japan, although pachinko seems to be a gray area..

B: Yes

C: if it's illegal, then it's illegal for rikishi as well. 

Bicycle racing is the other one I think

Yes, keirin betting is legal and so is boat racing - about dogs I'm very much in doubt

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, though Takagenji had precedents for misbehaviour as well. Hidenoumi and Shiden didn't. If they'd also been repeat offenders their penalty might have been worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takagenji unfortunately did not have a lot going for him

1. Takanohana’s student

2. Poor etiquette on the dohyo (I think the judges took notice)

3. Getting caught up in scandals with his brother 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Takagenji unfortunately did not have a lot going for him

1. Takanohana’s student

2. Poor etiquette on the dohyo (I think the judges took notice)

3. Getting caught up in scandals with his brother 

4. Beating the crap out of Enhou with no real reason a few weeks prior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

4. Beating the crap out of Enhou with no real reason a few weeks prior.

Takagenji's update to Forrest Gump: "It's just this COVID ... and that lying SOB Hakkaku!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One basho suspension and two months 20% pay cut for Hidenoumi. Reprimand for Shiden .Kise Oyakata got an oral reprimand from Hakkaku rijicho.

They went twice-July 30th nd August 11th, when the rikishi were allowed to go out . They  played illegal slots. Hidenoumi played with less than 100000 yen ($870.) and it was not habitual, says the report.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

One basho suspension and two months 20% pay cut for Hidenoumi. Reprimand for Shiden .Kise Oyakata got an oral reprimand from Hakkaku rijicho.

They went twice-July 30th nd August 11th, when the rikishi were allowed to go out . They  played illegal slots. hiodenoumi palyed with les than 10000 yen and it was not habitual.

So basically the sumo equivalent of an ill-advised weekend in Vegas without the missus knowing, as opposed to the organised-crime level stuff that Kotomitsuki was doing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

So basically the sumo equivalent of an ill-advised weekend in Vegas without the missus knowing, as opposed to the organised-crime level stuff that Kotomitsuki was doing.

Except going to Vegas won't get you investigated by the police. Unless there's some new info the place they visited was still illegal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

One basho suspension and two months 20% pay cut for Hidenoumi. Reprimand for Shiden .Kise Oyakata got an oral reprimand from Hakkaku rijicho.

They went twice-July 30th nd August 11th, when the rikishi were allowed to go out . They  played illegal slots. Hidenoumi played with less than 10000 yen ($87..) and it was not habitual, says the report.

The one basho being the one he was withdrawn from in January, which is now a retroactive suspension. He is able to compete in March. 

 

Edited by ryafuji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

The one basho being the one he was withdrawn from in January, which is now a retroactive suspension. He is able to compete in March. 

While it's not a retroactive suspension for Shiden, just a reprimand, but (according to Nikkan anyway) he's set to get demoted anyway...? Not sure the current reporting adds up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this