Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Hatsu 2022

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

A boy named Sue?

Gawd, at last!  That took longer than Takakeisho running a 5K.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Gawd, at last!  That took longer than Takakeisho running a 5K.

Sue me..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/01/2022 at 17:38, Akinomaki said:

Takeda had the most attention in the papers. He gets the shikona Wakanosho 若ノ勝, from Wakanohana I, the first shisho of his shisho ex-Takamisugi and the -sho like Takakeisho and Takanosho https://www.sanspo.com/article/20220105-K3YRJLZ67RNKHE5ACDGQS62DH4/

Tokiwayama-beya adds that his shikona given name is Eido (栄道, えいどう), likely referring to him coming from Saitama Sakae.

Meanwhile, Arashio-beya reports that Asuhada's shikona is Daiseizan Daisuke (大青山 大介, だいせいざん だいすけ). It is surely in honour of the Daqing Mountains (same kanji), an alternate name for the Yin Mountains which cross Inner Mongolia.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4

Maezumo started today - with quite a number of pics in the papers

NSK: Daseizan-Kotokenryu, Hanafusa-Satsumasho, Kototebakari-Wakanosho, Toseiryu-Chiyotsurugi

FIyZpBjakAEwtXH.jpg:thumbo FIyZuNOakAImU3Y.jpg:thumbo FIyZrjDaMAAlmyl.jpg:thumbo FIyZvhSaIAECiE5.jpg:thumbo

Hanafusa

202201110000180-w200_0.jpgo20220111-OHT1I51022-N.jpgo b_14976965.jpgo b_14976964.jpgo

Daiseizan

202201110000180-w200_2.jpgo

Kototebakari

b_14976962.jpgo202201110000180-w200_1.jpg 20220111-OHT1I51025-N.jpgo

• Like 3

Day 4

Wakanosho-Kotokenryu, Hanafusa-Takatairiku, Kototebakari-Daseizan, Toseiryu-Satsumasho

FI3UsguaUAEZGJS.jpg:thumbo FI3Uw76aIAAERWo.jpg:thumbo FI3UuXwacAMgjWW.jpg:thumbo FI3UyuWaMAEYvIi.jpg:thumbo

Day 5

Daseizan-Takatairiku, Wakanosho-Satsumasho, Kototebakari-Hanafusa, Toseiryu-Chiyotsurugi

FI-Y3-OaMAUMjeT.jpg:thumbo FI-Y4ASakAAV-5J.jpg:thumbo FI-Y3_2acAY-mWo.jpg:thumbo FI-Y4BjaUAI_Ep6.jpg:thumbo

Toseiryu and Kototebakari reached 3 wins

• Like 2

Day 6 - Hanafusa-Daseizan

FJBf_WSaIAEC67Y.jpg:thumbo FJBgqKeaQAAsanX.jpg:thumbo

other without pics: Chiyotsurugi-Wakanosho, Kotokenryu-Takatairiku, Chiyotsurugi-Satsumasho

• Like 2

Shinjo shusse hirou today, 7 new, including the 2 foreigners from last basho. 2 sai-shusse, Takatairiku and Chiyotsurugi.

FJMhlgZaAAMyf_T?format=jpg

Front, left to right: Kototebakari, Toseiryu, Daiseizan, Wakanosho, back: Hanafusa, Satsumasho, Kotokenryu

琴手計、東誠竜、大青山、若ノ勝、 花房、薩摩翔、琴拳龍

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 11:09, Akinomaki said:

Shinjo shusse hirou today, 7 new, including the 2 foreigners from last basho. 2 sai-shusse, Takatairiku and Chiyotsurugi.

FJMhlgZaAAMyf_T?format=jpg

Front, left to right: Kototebakari, Toseiryu, Daiseizan, Wakanosho, back: Hanafusa, Satsumasho, Kotokenryu

琴手計、東誠竜、大青山、若ノ勝、 花房、薩摩翔、琴拳龍

Hmm, not a single lame-looking guy in the lot. Promising crop, that.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we have the finishing records for this round of Maezumo? I know Kototebakari went 3-0 but that's it. 

On yesterday's NHK broadcast, Mainoumi remarked that every new shusse entrant has previous sumo experience, which should make for a fierce Jonokuchi division next basho. 

Yes this is a nicely rounded group. Not sure if there's star material, but at least 5 of them were competent competitors in national level amasumo, and one of the others is a foreigner and presumably decent. Only Iwakiri stands out for being mediocre, which is rather ironic given that he's a Nihon University grad. 

Edited by Katooshu

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Yes this is a nicely rounded group. Not sure if there's star material, but at least 5 of them were competent competitors in national level amasumo, and one of the others is a foreigner and presumably decent. Only Iwakiri stands out for being mediocre, which is rather ironic given that he's a Nihon University grad. 

Hanafusa and Kototebakari are the two I'm watching for the most, but like you said, the whole group looked impressive

The seven newcomers were joined by banzuke-gai returnees Takatairiku and Chiyotsurugi for five sessions of maezumo.

The unfortunate Chiyotsurugi ended up with the dubious honour of an 0-8 record, although I thought he was unlucky in the very first bout, which might have been a torinaoshi if it was a regular torikumi.

For me, Wakanosho looks like the most capable of the bunch at the moment, with Kototebakari perhaps having the best prospects in the longer term. Hanafusa looks quite solid but a late growth spurt to add a few centimetres would be handy I think.

Toseiryu finished 3-0 despite a well-taped left shoulder, but two of the wins came against Chiyotsurugi. As Katooshu already implied, Iwakiri/Satsumasho seems quite average and all three of his wins came against Chiyotsurugi. I wasn't particularly impressed by Kotokenryu either who also got his three wins against the returnees. It's harsh to judge them entirely based on maezumo though, we'll see how they all fare in the long term.

I'm not sure all the numbers reported by Totorofuji are quite correct, after going through the videos I have Wakanosho and Satsumasho both finishing at 3-2. Anyway here are the results and standings as I see them, corrections welcome.

Day 3, Session 1

X Chiyotsurugi	Takatairiku O
X Kotokenryu	Daiseizan O
O Hanafusa	Satsumasho X
O Kototebakari	Wakanosho X
X Chiyotsurugi	Toseiryu O

Day 4, Session 2

X Chiyotsurugi	Satsumasho O
X Kotokenryu	Wakanosho O
O Hanafusa	Takatairiku X
O Kototebakari	Daiseizan X
O Toseiryu	Wakanosho X

Day 5, Session 3

X Chiyotsurugi	Kotokenryu O
O Daiseizan	Takatairiku X
X Satsumasho	Wakanosho O
X Hanafusa	Kototebakari O
X Chiyotsurugi	Toseiryu O

Day 6, Session 4

X Hanafusa	Daiseizan O
X Chiyotsurugi	Wakanosho O
O Kotokenryu	Takatairiku X

Day 7, Session 5

X Kotokenryu	Hanafusa O
O Kotokenryu	Takatairiku X

Final Standings

Kototebakari	Sadogatake	3-0
Toseiryu	Tamanoi		3-0
Daiseizan	Arashio		3-1
Wakanosho	Tokiwayama	3-2
Hanafusa	Nishonoseki	3-2
Satsumasho	Oitekaze	3-2
Kotokenryu	Sadogatake	3-3
> Takatairiku	Tokiwayama	1-4
> Chiyotsurugi	Kokonoe		0-8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Miselet today posted the videos on Dailymotion, from where you can save them with Downloadhelper: Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Some news out of the useless trivia department:

- Chiyotsurugi set a new record with 8 losses in the current mae-zumo system (at least within my collected data), beating Shunpo who went 0-7.

- Chiyotsurugi is the first rikishi to lose 3 times against the same opponent in mae-zumo (again, within my collected data). Before this only Sakashita and Yamakawa met 3 times in Haru 2020 and they went 2-1.

- In fact, only once before one rikishi had 3 wins against the same rikishi in the same basho with Nanzan against Fujitora in Nagoya 1990 (of course again, among my collected data). I have 4 more cases of rikishi meeting in hon-basho and then twice in playoff bouts (but all 2-1): Roho against Wakanoyama in Hatsu 2004, Shimamusashi against Haguronada in Kyushu 1994, Konishiki against Hokutoumi in Haru 1990 and Tochifuji against Yoshinohana in Aki 1972.

Edit: I just realize that Shimamusashi and Haguronada had all 3 bouts in the playoff, making it the only case of the same match three times on the same day.

Edited by Doitsuyama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/01/2022 at 07:42, Doitsuyama said:

I hadn't realized there was an actual case of a seemingly endless tomoe-sen.  I wonder what the spectators thought of watching the same three guys do rock-paper scissors for over 2 rounds.

21 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I hadn't realized there was an actual case of a seemingly endless tomoe-sen.  I wonder what the spectators thought of watching the same three guys do rock-paper scissors for over 2 rounds.

If the DB is right, poor Tamanohana didn't have a chance to even them out on the 3rd round. The moment Haguronada broke the rock-paper-scissors cycle by finally prevailing over Shimamusashi, it was over.

Edited by Koorifuu

2 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

If the DB is right, poor Tamanohana didn't have a chance to even them out on the 3rd round. The moment Haguronada broke the rock-paper-scissors cycle by finally prevailing over Shimamusashi, it was over.

That is correct.  The rikishi who are in the first match have a greater chance of winning the tomoe-sen because the first to win twice in a row wins, even in situations where the 3-match rounds are just restarting. 

Edited by Gurowake
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2022 at 12:23, Yubinhaad said:

Toseiryu finished 3-0 despite a well-taped left shoulder

Go Sue!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

That is correct.  The rikishi who are in the first match have a greater chance of winning the tomoe-sen because the first to win twice in a row wins, even in situations where the 3-match rounds are just restarting. 

According to this page in Japanese: https://shadowacademy.web.fc2.com/tomoe.html the expected win ratio is 5:5:4

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2022 at 15:06, Kintamayama said:

A boy named Sue?

You know, I thought about it then decided not to.
But it's not like you to do half a job, so for the benefit of those who haven't chalked up as many decades: Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue - YouTube

Was one of my favourites when I was a kid.

• Haha 1

Brief notes about the two returnees in maezumo - Chiyotsurugi's fall off the banzuke was due to suffering detached retinas in both eyes last summer, requiring surgery on one of them. Takatairiku's fall was due to a broken shoulder during the Aki basho.

• Thanks 2