Sign in to follow this  
Hakuryuho

Hakuho certified as 5x Guinness World Record holder

Hakuho is now Guinness World Record certified!

He has received an award for Most Makunouchi basho wins with 45,
longest Yokozuna reign with 84 tournaments,
most wins in the Makunouchi division with 1093,
most wins in Ozumo with 1187
and most zensho yusho basho wins with 16.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202112030001038.html

The certificates will be displayed in the Sumo Museum at the Ryogoku Kokugikan and Hakuho said he, as Magaki oyakata, wants to raise rikishi that themselves will receive such GWR certificates.

Edited by Hakuryuho
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Whatever. Call me when he's got the record for sitting in a bath of cold baked beans the longest or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

A net positive for the sport.  At the worst, somebody thumbing through one of their books will see something about Sumo; that's never a bad thing.  And maybe that person will be curious about this guy and want to know more.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Whatever. Call me when he's got the record for sitting in a bath of cold baked beans the longest or something.

Yeah, I don't understand Guinness caring about mundane things like professional sports records.  Those kinds of things have other organizations keeping track.  Guinness is needed for the truly esoteric things that nobody else cares about.

• Like 1

As a kid I loved looking through the year book, but for a while now Guinness has mostly been ridiculous. I'd bet that about half the things in the book were only ever attempted by the record holder. Walking backward with an egg in a spoon while quaking like a duck, the baked beans bath lol, etc. 

Actually, a baked beans bath sounds like something that could catch on in sumo - a warm and tasty way to wind down after keiko (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Haha 1

It was a mix up at the karaoke bar. They called the front desk to order more beer and the World Record judges were delivered instead. Honest mistake when you've have a few pints and an American Express Platinum Visa card: Membership changes everything

This has been a paid advertisement. 

• Haha 2

What's in your akeni?

American Express: don't leave the heya without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LLCoolKay said:

So I wonder who paid Guiness to come out and do the records (since that's all that's really required)?

You may be surprised to learn that no one paid Guinness. The first print run was given awayGuinness World Records - Wikipedia

It turned out to be a job creation scheme for a pair of savant twins called Ross and Norris McWhirter. I remember seeing their astonishing performances on 'Record Breakers' when I was a kid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

I think it was Ross who died in an IRA bomb attack.

Died, yes; bomb, no.  Shot in the head and heart by two members of the Balcombe Street Gang outside of his house.

On 04/12/2021 at 08:21, LLCoolKay said:

So I wonder who paid Guiness to come out and do the records (since that's all that's really required)?

Isn't the answer obvious? (Hint: rhymes with Pakubo)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why the cynicism? I thought it was a good thing.

Obviously Sumo Kyokai was involved in verifying these records.

8 hours ago, Hakuhonofan said:

Not sure why the cynicism? I thought it was a good thing.

Obviously Sumo Kyokai was involved in verifying these records.

Yeah, but if NSK keeps those records in the first place, why the need to get them "verified" by a gaijin trivia outlet?

Not saying that's how NSK views Guinness, and maybe Hakuho did have the backing of the powers that be and maybe the NSK (or their overseers at MEXT) thought it was a good opportunity to get a Japanese record in, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a sniffy view of this and lambasted Hakuho for showing off.

Either way, this sort of superficially self-aggrandizing move would not be one I would do, if I were under the vaguest of interdicts to "preserve the way of sumo". So if Hakuho was behind this, then I hope he's read the temperature right. But if he weren't, then no harm no foul; obviously he'd have to be at any award or recognition ceremony arranged.

Edited by Seiyashi

I honestly don't know what to make of this.

It's 'official' recognition of Hakuho's status as the by-the-numbers GOAT yokozuna, but who made the call to GWR?
It may have been set up by his koenkai as a consolation for not getting his ichidai toshiyori, which may land him in trouble.
It may have been set up by his supporters within the NSK as a consolation, etc., which probably won't land him in trouble.
It may have been set up by the man himself, which would be foolhardy but quite consistent with his erstwhile they-can-only-give-me-another-bollocking behaviour.

No hurriedly bumbled statement from Shibatayama so far, which might be a good sign...

• Like 2

I have thumbed through the GWR book before, the sumo section is brief but does get published yearly.

most likely, they have offices in each country to keep track of official sporting records as well as “accomplishment” records.

On 04/12/2021 at 04:26, RabidJohn said:

You may be surprised to learn that no one paid Guinness. The first print run was given awayGuinness World Records - Wikipedia

It turned out to be a job creation scheme for a pair of savant twins called Ross and Norris McWhirter. I remember seeing their astonishing performances on 'Record Breakers' when I was a kid. 

Right but the way they work today is you have a record you want to claim so you call up Guiness World Records and pay a fee to get an official record keeper out to you who then checks and/or observes your record setting event. That's largely all it takes to get a record in the book. 

Look, "Guinness World Records" was the very first content creator -- before there was click-bait and in fact before there was the Internet.  They need Sumo more than Sumo needs them.

There are two types of records in GWR: the click-bait level stuff that keeps some people buying the new edition, and the bar-bet level stuff that deals with real achievements and records (that stuff has to be updated).  Whether or not someone has a GWR for "longest game of chess in an elevator", the company can't be publishing outdated information on, say, soccer/football.  Since Ozumo falls in the second category, they want to make sure they're up-to-date.  My intuition (which may be wrong) is that Hakuho's retirement is a good chance for them to do some PR with their Japanese market.

Well, the news was in NSK's official twitter and the certificates would be displayed in NSK's own museum. If this didn't come from NSK, then why bothered announcing and displaying those? Sometimes I found people just jumped into too many conspiracy theories for something so simple?

Edited by Hakuhonofan
  • Like 2

I am not sure why all of the fuss is being made. I think any positive attention for sumo is a good thing. (Takingaphoto...)

Seemed to me as very minor news though, local event launched by Guiness Japan, their representative met with Hakuho in the NSK event space. No news video made it to the net, neither Kyodo, nor NHK, nor FNN, so even in Japan only minor news.

There is a record for most nails hammered by hand in one minute. It stands at 42. I know at least one person on this forum, who could do that by keyboard.

There is also a record for most nails hammered with the head in one minute. It stands at 20. I remember some "guests" here, who probably at least tried to break that record once too often. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Benihana said:

There is also a record for most nails hammered with the head in one minute. It stands at 20. I remember some "guests" here, who probably at least tried to break that record once too often. 

And I would have broken that record if you hadn't called the authorities and stopped me!

Listen, you think Hakuho won 45 Makuuchi Yusho, and I think he did, and the NSK thinks he did, but until some counter-up guys from an Anglo-Irish beer company officially say so, how do we know it happened?

• Haha 2