Sign in to follow this  
Benevolance

YDC proposes additional changes

It was kind of lost in the YDC report on rikishi and degeiko that there were some other revisions proposed to help improve the technical side of sumo. Foremost among them, the YDC wants to introduce a Gatcha element to honbasho.

Sumotori will be given one free Move Capsule each day of the tournament. This Move Capsule will contain one 'winning move' that they're permitted to use; defeating an opponent with a move other than the one designated results in a do-over. Additional Move Capsules can be purchased for 100Y each, but to acquire favourites like yorikiri, oshidashi and the dreaded henka, rikishi or their supporters will need to purchase the Premium Move Capsules, valued at 1,000Y each.

Premium Move Capsules may also contain special events like "What Mono-ii?" and "The Gyoji is Clearly Blind" to help provide an edge in close bouts, and epic cards like, "Araiso oyakata, with a folding chair, in the parking garage" to help guarantee those Fusen wins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

At times watching Hakuho, I was convinced he'd picked a kimarite ahead of time and was determined to win using only that. I guess when things get that easy for you, you can play around. I always wanted to see him go full on mimic mode though - beat the Geek with a humpty bumpty, grunting sweaty power tsuridashi vs Tochinoshin, ashitori vs the little guys, or pull a Takarafuji and get stoically beaten up for a minute or two while the opponent exhausts themselves and eventually falls over.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

At times watching Hakuho, I was convinced he'd picked a kimarite ahead of time and was determined to win using only that. I guess when things get that easy for you, you can play around. I always wanted to see him go full on mimic mode though - beat the Geek with a humpty bumpty, grunting sweaty power tsuridashi vs Tochinoshin, ashitori vs the little guys, or pull a Takarafuji and get stoically beaten up for a minute or two while the opponent exhausts themselves and eventually falls over.

... which reminds me of Larry Bird, who played a game predominantly with his left hand against Portland in 1986 (47 points, 14 rebounds, 11 assists).  Hakuho used 41 different winning kimarite in his career; I suspect of the 18 that were used 3 or fewer times, some of them came about because he "hadn't used it before."

• Like 3

We're only one more global pandemic away from the kyokai becoming a full-on subsidiary of Nintendo (TM). Then we'll have an elder standing on either side of the ring and shouting commands at the rikishi. 

Shohozan, use Thrust! Shimanoumi, Dodge! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

We're only one more global pandemic away from the kyokai becoming a full-on subsidiary of Nintendo (TM). Then we'll have an elder standing on either side of the ring and shouting commands at the rikishi. 

Shohozan, use Thrust! Shimanoumi, Dodge! 

Kaisei! Step out and activate "disappointed mode"!!

"Hey, I selected "shitatedashinage" and instead he stuck his foot out and fell over."  "Arashio you idiot!  You pushed B,B,R which is kekaeshi; you wanted B,R,R."

• Like 2

First, @Benevolance (Applauding...)

13 hours ago, Katooshu said:

At times watching Hakuho, I was convinced he'd picked a kimarite ahead of time and was determined to win using only that. 

Didn't he actually claim that was the case after his sole yobimodoshi (against Takarafuji, day 8, Aki 2013)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

First, @Benevolance (Applauding...)

Didn't he actually claim that was the case after his sole yobimodoshi (against Takarafuji, day 8, Aki 2013)?

To celebrate what would have been Wakanohana I's 85th birthday is my recollection there as well (which looks like it was a couple days earlier).

• Like 1

I thought at the beginning it was a valid report, then it got me wondering if I wandered into the Ridiculous Prediction thread, then the final line cracked me up :-D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1