Jejima

Mitakeumi - version 20.22

Mitakeumi - everyone's favourite Christmas present?  

24 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. 1. What will be Mitakeumi's LOWEST rank on the banzuke between January 2022 and January 2023 (inclusive)?

• Sekiwake
    • Komusubi
    • M1
    • M2
    • M3
    • M4
    • M5
    • M6
    • M7
    • M8
    • M9
    • M10
    • M11
    • M12
    • M13
    • M14
    • M15
    • M16
    • M17
    • M18
    • Juryo
    • Makushita or lower
  2. 2. What will be the LOWEST rank that Mitakeumi loses to during the six bashos of 2022? *Does not include fusenpai losses*

• Yokozuna
    • Ozeki
    • Sekiwake
    • Komusubi
    • M1
    • M2
    • M3
    • M4
    • M5
    • M6
    • M7
    • M8
    • M9
    • M10
    • M11
    • M12
    • M13
    • M14
    • M15
    • M16
    • M17
    • M18
    • Juryo
    • Makushita or lower
    • He will never lose in 2022!
  3. 3. What will be Mitakeumi's HIGHEST rank on the banzuke between January 2022 and January 2023 (inclusive)?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/22 at 08:00

In 2021, Mitakeumi had three bashos at the rank of komusubi, followed by three at the rank of Sekiwake.  He will start 2022 at the rank of Sekiwake East. He will be turning 30 on Christmas Day, 2022.

So, before he hits the big thirty, the only way is up! - or down...!

What do you think will be in store for this rikishi still in his twenties?

Please comment below, in case a tie-breaker is required to decide the yusho. (Any comment is automatically better than none.) 

Previous polls:

He will come up short (again) on the current ozeki run, but will stay at S and make it to O eventually.

Edited by hakutorizakura
Bad English

I think I predicted in a different poll that he wouldn't reach Ozeki, so now I'll hedge my bets and say he does.

He is now into the top 10 junior sanyaku rikishi of all time, has passed (or will pass) perennial sekiwakes such as Akinoshima, Takatoriki and Wakanosato. But he still has Kotonishiki's record to go for, so I'll say that he gets that in early 2023. Not ozeki during 2022.

Same same Wakanosato clone. Sekiwake forever with intermittent drops to high Maegashira. 

• Like 1

He'll drop to M4 but pop right back. He'll lose to an M5. He'll surprise me more than getting a pony for my birthday if he gets higher than sekiwake.

First it will be promoted to Ozeki and then when Terunofuji will have covid, we will have a new Yokozuna
Worst loss against Tamawashi (M6w)

in 2022 he will have 5 KK and 1 KK, so he will be Sekiwake 5 times, and one Basho at Komusubi

Pitinosato

He gets his Ozeki run completed this summer

Won't make it to ozeki, will have one bad basho that drops him to M3. Will have a jun-yusho of 12-3

Mitakeumi will have a seriously bad MK at some point in the first half of this year.

At the time of typing, I have just watched Mitakeumi grab his early KK on Nakabi in the hatsu basho! So, he will at least keep his rank after this basho. Looking at his recent records, I guess he has a chance of promotion to Ozeki for March if he has a good second week. That would make the prediction of 'Sekiwake' being his lowest rank (around a third of us said that) being fairly safe.

He has not (yet) lost to anyone this basho. There might be a chance of him meeting one of the genki lower rankers with yusho chances in the second week, which could make the second question relevant. 

Will he make it to Ozeki? Even chishafuwaki's sole brave prediction of 'Yokozuna' is not looking completely ridiculous at the time of typing.

Well, things change quickly in sumo.... let's see how it all looks next Winter (Summer for those living in the South)....

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 09:57, Jejima said:

At the time of typing, I have just watched Mitakeumi grab his early KK on Nakabi in the hatsu basho! So, he will at least keep his rank after this basho. Looking at his recent records, I guess he has a chance of promotion to Ozeki for March if he has a good second week. That would make the prediction of 'Sekiwake' being his lowest rank (around a third of us said that) being fairly safe.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch... Even with an ozeki promotion in March, he could still do an Asanoyama and plummet to juryo. Anything is still possible! (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)