Sign in to follow this  
HappySumo

With American Thanksgiving underway what is everyone thankful for?

I'll start. I'm thankful for starting sumo. Even with 0 experience the attempt to build a body that can compete has improved my life in numerous ways.

At 37 I've reconnected with my body in an intense way. I can feel when my legs aren't warmed up, I refer to them as having not woken up. The third set of Shiko is when they wake up. I have forced myself to work on my weaknesses. I am still struggling for an unaided pull up but I'm going to keep working hangs and negatives till my shoulders catch up. I can tell when I haven't eaten cleanly. My body won't preform if all I eat is fast food or if I don't eat enough.  In short I feel aware of my body's condition in ways I never noticed before. I'm thankful for that experience. 

I'm also thankful my body has responded well to the frankly unreasonable demands I placed on it. Shiko has made my knees feel strong and my legs feel solid. Training with my coach gave me confidence in my power. I have work to fix areas I ignored but my body has kept up.

I've also dropped bad habits, made new friends and had adventures. All this and it's still brand new.

I have no desire beyond having a place to compete with my all and I'm l thankful sumo has gave me the opportunity. 

Happy (American) Thanksgiving

• Like 3

I'm thankful for folks at any age who take up something new, fall in love with it, and continue to enjoy it, until their body doesn't allow them to do it anymore.

• Like 1

Life, and family. Life and family.

• Like 1

To have lived in the time and space where life was best for humans - that time is over now unfortunately

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

To have lived in the time and space where life was best for humans - that time is over now unfortunately

...just like billions of years before.

11 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Always funny how people consider the surface of our planet not being part of "space"...

...just like billions of years before.

Two very deep (space) comments from Jakusotsu today :-P

I am thankful that Black Friday in Japan will never turn into Flash Mob Friday like it has in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kujo said:

Two very deep (space) comments from Jakusotsu today :-P

I am thankful that Black Friday in Japan will never turn into Flash Mob Friday like it has in the US.

I'm odd in that I really like the big crowds during Christmas shopping. It's all part of the holiday season to me.

There is something to be said for all the people scrambling to buy gifts for loved ones. It's not just consumerism, there is an element of showing your love in the gift giving tradition. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HappySumo said:

I'm odd in that I really like the big crowds during Christmas shopping. It's all part of the holiday season to me.

There is something to be said for all the people scrambling to buy gifts for loved ones. It's not just consumerism, there is an element of showing your love in the gift giving tradition. 

My son works at Wal-Mart.  He has seen the seamy underside of Black Friday.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

My son works at Wal-Mart.  He has seen the seamy underside of Black Friday.

When I was a kid I  worked a few Black Friday's in retail. Day after Christmas is rough too.