Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

At the rate that he is going Takakeisho might well be the Kaio of our times. Good enough to win yusho multiple times, bad enough health to never make it back to back, and will go kadoban repeatedly as a result too.

10 minutes ago, Benihana said:

That fancy white rope will forever dangle right over his head and he'll never be able to catch it with his tiny T-Rex arms. Abi on the other hand... 

Mitakeumi struggling so long for his promotion wasn't really connected to being injury prone.

Yes, I know. I would give better shot to Abi and (later on) Hoshoryu myself. Yet again, Takakeisho is only 25 and went back to the dohyo every time after being kyujo, usually providing Ozeki-level results on top of it (differently from Shodai). I believe we can give him some other 5 years as active wrestler. He might provide an upset sooner or later. Or might not.

Talking back about Mitakeumi, him being quite healthy despite being a discreet wrecking ball himself might play in his favour. The only problem with him it's he's already 29 years old. His age might catch him up relatively soon. Well, we will see. In any case, if Terunofuji comes back for Haru we might have had this conversation for nothing. A fully healthy Terunosaurus seldom leaves crumbles to anyone.

1 minute ago, Hankegami said:

Yes, I know. I would give better shot to Abi and (later on) Hoshoryu myself. Yet again, Takakeisho is only 25 and went back to the dohyo every time after being kyujo, usually providing Ozeki-level results on top of it (differently from Shodai). I believe we can give him some other 5 years as active wrestler. He might provide an upset sooner or later. Or might not.

Talking back about Mitakeumi, him being quite healthy despite being a discreet wrecking ball himself might play in his favour. The only problem with him it's he's already 29 years old. His age might catch him up relatively soon. Well, we will see. In any case, if Terunofuji comes back for Haru we might have had this conversation for nothing. A fully healthy Terunosaurus seldom leaves crumbles to anyone.

Oh, i don't see Mitakeumi as Yokozuna. Maybe if Terunofuji busts his knees in the near future and he manages to keep up his game. But at the moment i'm sure others will surpass him in the long run. 

Just to be clear, I was entirely joking about Mitakeumi being #74, but in the extremely unlikely event that he does, you heard it here first...

On yesterday's broadcast, guest commentator ex-Goeido remarked that if Hoshoryu puts on another 10 kilos, this time next year he very well could be on his own Ozeki run. 

I expect Abi to be right there with him. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Just to be clear, I was entirely joking about Mitakeumi being #74, but in the extremely unlikely event that he does, you heard it here first...

I think no one was 100% serious. Mitakeumi would seriously need Terunofuji out of the picture to even get a shot. And also in that case he'd have to gambarize like hell.

But I'm sure everyone would agree to leave you the "Original Yokozuna Mitakeumi Soothsayer" badger in case it happens. You'd earned it.

Edited by Hankegami

Mitakeumi doesn't need Terunofuji out of the picture, he just needs to make sure that his loss to Terunofuji doesn't hurt his yusho chances (like the circumstances of today's bout) such that he ends with a D or better, or a sole JY one win behind Terunofuji. Terunofuji made his promotion even with a senshuraku loss to Hakuho, anyway.

And, perversely, if Terunofuji is actually injured, then Mitakeumi benefits from Terunofuji being in the field - he's still a force to be reckoned with + he becomes easy pickings for Mitakeumi himself.

47 minutes ago, Orudo Toriitorunku said:

And Teranofujis knees seem to have gone as far as they will take him :-(

11-4 is a perfectly respectable yokozuna score, and as another forum member pointed out, this is the first basho since Kyushu 2019 that Terunofuji hasn't been Champion or Runner-Up. Very premature statement, especially since the talk is of a calf injury (which visibly hindered his last few days). No reason to believe he won't be back as the force for Haru.

• Like 2

Wakatakakage and Wakamotoharu both won today Wakatakamoto had a no match since he was in Makushita.

Oho lost and will likely go back to Juryo, it sucks.

13 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Mitakeumi doesn't need Terunofuji out of the picture, he just needs to make sure that his loss to Terunofuji doesn't hurt his yusho chances (like the circumstances of today's bout) such that he ends with a D or better, or a sole JY one win behind Terunofuji. Terunofuji made his promotion even with a senshuraku loss to Hakuho, anyway.

And, perversely, if Terunofuji is actually injured, then Mitakeumi benefits from Terunofuji being in the field - he's still a force to be reckoned with + he becomes easy pickings for Mitakeumi himself.

I was actually thinking about getting another yusho. Mitakeumi got this one much because Terunofuji was hurt, but everyone knows that a Sekiwake yusho is not "really" counted for the rope. Terunofuji himself had to go through a Y-Y-J for his rope. I was thinking about a same scenario. Clutch another yusho in Haru without Terunofuji, and work hard for a JY in Natsu (especially if Teru comes back).

Let's be serious. It's now or never for the likes of Mitakeumi. He's 29 years old with his best contenders all younger than him: Abi (27), Hoshoryu (22), Wakatakakage (27), Kotonowaka (24). If Terunofuji is REALLY going kyujo (it might simply not happen, as Godango rightly pointed out) it's perhaps his only opportunity to get a shot. Otherwise, at least Abi and Hoshoryu will catch him up soon.

Edited by Hankegami

Oh wow, congratulations to next ozeki Mitakeumi on yusho #3!

I've been a fan of his since he first appeared in makuuchi with hair too short for a mage. I got really excited about his ozeki prospects when he went on his first giant-killing run 5 years ago at Hatsu 2017 (in fact @Seiyashi, I also enthused about his prospects for the rope...), disappointed when he repeatedly failed to follow through, but eventually happy to support him as a perennial sekiwake. 

So I got quite emotional when he put Terunofuji over the tawara today.

Re: Sansho. The only real surprise for me was that Mitakeumi didn't get a shukun-sho (conditional on winning) to go with the expected gino-sho.

3 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

(in fact @Seiyashi, I also enthused about his prospects for the rope...)

22 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

But I'm sure everyone would agree to leave you the "Original Yokozuna Mitakeumi Soothsayer" badger in case it happens. You'd earned it.

Looks like I'm ceding it to @RabidJohn (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Looks like I'm ceding it to @RabidJohn (Laughing...)

Nah, the only badge I deserve is the one with "Couldn't have been more wrong!" on it (although I'll have to wait until @Kintamayama is done with it...).

I suspect Mitakeumi's reached his limit, but never say never and all that. Like all ozeki, he's 'just' 2 back-to-back yusho from the rope now.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Haha 1

In the yusho excitement I almost forgot... Meisei losing at the tachi-ai like that to Daieisho reminded me of the "I think he broke his ******* neck" scene from The Mean Machine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

That's got to hurt for Oho, from 7-3 to 7-8 and back to Juryo.

I can hear Kagayaki laughing. 

Thoroughly enjoyable basho. Really pleased for Mitakeumi. I must admit I had settled into a kind of equilibrium with him where I thought he was stuck at Sekiwake and would never work out how to take the next step. I did the same thing with Kisenosato and winning a yusho/making it to Yok - I think in that case I made a lot of posts on this forum about how he really needed a good sports psychologist, and then, like Mitakeumi, he went and achieved it on his own when I had convinced myself he couldn't. For Mitakeumi 33 wins over three basho with a 9/11/13Y progression, with the yusho clinching win over the reigning Yokozuna, is about as solid an Ozeki run as you can get. 

With regard to the other two Ozeki, while both kadoban, I think it is a mistake to lump them in the same boat as "failed ozeki who will never make it to Yok". They are clearly different. Shodai has clearly struggled (looks mental rather than physical/talent based to me), while Takakeisho has shown that he is the real deal when he's fit. I suspect Shodai will not last at Ozeki much longer, while Takakeisho will go on to be quite successful at the rank

Edited by Morty
  • Like 1

Shodai needs a sports psychologist as well. Takakeisho is more or less alright but really needs to take care of his body; he is pretty much the epitome of the "kadoban only when injured" type of ozeki except he gets injured pretty often.

What a final day for a great basho!

Mitakeumi is the first rikishi ever to win three yusho before being Ozeki, a record that highlights the ups and downs of his career. I wish him luck for his tenure as Ozeki, I am sure he will be more consistent than the last four (Tochinoshin, Takakeisho, Asanoyama and Shodai).

A good basho for the future of Sumo as well: Abi, Hoshoryu, Kotonowaka, Wakatakakage... they are the ones I expect to compete for a Yusho in the short term.

A moment of recognition to Ishiura. I can't believe this is the same guy that was obsessed with henkas two years ago. I would love to know if Hakuho's retirement has something to do with this change.

Finally, I hope that Ōhō has taken notes of what happened since he was 7-3. I kinda think he thought it was done after his seventh win.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kotomiyama said:

I am sure he will be more consistent than the last four (Tochinoshin, Takakeisho, Asanoyama and Shodai).

Well, Asanoyama's lack of consistency isn't on the dohyo - at least double digit wins in all tournaments he finished since hitting sanyaku, including 6 in a row starting from M2, and only one injury kyujo (only one of his career) after that followed by 2 more double digits.  If he doesn't get hurt on his way back up he should have little problem returning to Ozeki and will be a reasonable candidate for Yokozuna given how he fared previously at Ozeki.

Edited by Gurowake

Did Tochinoshin really just try to tsuridashi Ichinojo? He's just about the worst guy to try that against.

7 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

I'd say that his record over the last two years is already ozeki level. If he can be a yusho-challenging ozeki: good, but not all ozeki have to be that.

Well they don't have to be to survive but the expectation is to be regularly in contention.

45 minutes ago, Sue said:

Did Tochinoshin really just try to tsuridashi Ichinojo? He's just about the worst guy to try that against.

He DID it inthe past...:)

With a different set of knees of course... :(

6 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Well, Asanoyama's lack of consistency isn't on the dohyo - at least double digit wins in all tournaments he finished since hitting sanyaku, including 6 in a row starting from M2, and only one injury kyujo (only one of his career) after that followed by 2 more double digits.  If he doesn't get hurt on his way back up he should have little problem returning to Ozeki and will be a reasonable candidate for Yokozuna given how he fared previously at Ozeki.

Of course Asanoyama is an excellent Ozeki in the dohyo, but he is the prime example of how the rank is expected to behave in and outside of a tournament. I did include him in the list on purpose because of that. I do not expect Mitakeumi to misbehave.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Mitakeumi for the yusho.  I hope that he will be promoted to Ozeki after this performance. (Onthebanzuke...)

I know that some people were hoping for a three way playoff but I am very happy that Terunofuji did not have to spend any more time on the Dohyo. I believe that had their been a second Yokozuna on the banzuke, Terunofuji would have withdrawn from the tournament after getting injured.