Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

He did it!! Kudos to M for staying in close combat with Teru. I thought he was gonna do the pushy-pushy a la Abi/Tamawashi. Extra points for ozeki promotion!

5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Now we hope that he will be a marginally more successful ozeki than his sekiwake record indicates. He fully deserves his promotion, but the work to live up to the rank only starts here.

I'd say that his record over the last two years is already ozeki level. If he can be a yusho-challenging ozeki: good, but not all ozeki have to be that.

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Ah ...

a%3E

Just noticed his previous three basho ended like this. The Mitakeumi Code. He's sending a message, I'm sure of it. (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

a%3E

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Just noticed his previous three basho ended like this. The Mitakeumi Code. He's sending a message, I'm sure of it. (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

a%3E

Now, how about next basho :-D

Special meeting to be called by the rijikai announced during the interview

4 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:
12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Now we hope that he will be a marginally more successful ozeki than his sekiwake record indicates. He fully deserves his promotion, but the work to live up to the rank only starts here.

I'd say that his record over the last two years is already ozeki level. If he can be a yusho-challenging ozeki: good, but not all ozeki have to be that.

One doesn't need to be a yusho-challenging ozeki to do better than he has, though. As I've pointed out elsewhere, his sekiwake record isn't that much better than Shodai's as an ozeki; he has a lot of 8-7/9-6 bare minimum KKs and relatively few double digits. Hitting double digits every other basho instead of 1 in 4, for instance, would still be a better record than what he has. Maybe not to Asanoyama's level, but still better.

Edited by Seiyashi

I think people have done the math before, but Mitakeumi at Sekiwake has a winning average above 9 wins per Basho, which would be a decent average for an Ozeki. I still agree with @Seiyashi that I would like a competitive Ozeki, but with all the disappointment we felt regarding the guy: Mitakeumi was a damned fine Sekiwake. 

• Like 1

Just now, WAKATAKE said:

Special meeting to be called by the rijikai announced during the interview

Mitakeumi couldn't hold in the smile when he heard that, and he took quite a while to reply.

• Like 2

Just now, Seiyashi said:

One doesn't need to be a yusho-challenging ozeki to do better than he has, though. As I've pointed out elsewhere, his sekiwake record isn't that much better than Shodai's as an ozeki; he has a lot of 8-7/9-6 bare minimum KKs and relatively few double digits. Hitting double digits every other basho instead of 1 in 4, for instance, would still be a better record than what he has. Maybe not to Asanoyama's level, but still better.

Tonight, we just enjoy Mitakeumi's promotion & yusho.  Time to open a beer ....

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Mitakeumi couldn't hold in the smile when he heard that, and he took quite a while to reply.

'twas bloody lovely, that.

Purely by chance a couple years ago I visited a soba shop in Matsumoto, Nagano operated by his aunt and uncle. The walls were filled with Mitakeumi photos. 

I told them I was a fan and I hoped he would make Ozeki one day. They replied something to the effect of thanks but he keeps blowing it.

I'm sure they're celebrating happily today. 

• Like 6

Those are some shoes to fill, even more than two centuries removed. 

"Hey, wanna know who was the last guy who did what you did from our hood? Only a freaking demigod-like mythical legend who transcends life and death..." 

Seriously though, it only adds to Mitakeumi's achievement imo. 

Just to note, since it's been overlooked, but this is the first time Terunofuji hasn't got even a jun-yusho since September 2020 when he was M1e, ending a streak of seven basho in which he finished top two.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Just to note, since it's been overlooked, but this is the first time Terunofuji hasn't got even a jun-yusho since September 2020 when he was M1e, ending a streak of seven basho in which he finished top two.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes kyujo for March. 

13 minutes ago, Rocks said:
24 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes kyujo for March. 

The Next Yokozuna Mitakeumi, anyone?

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

The Next Yokozuna Mitakeumi, anyone?

Would be fancy, innit? If Terunofuji really goes kyujo this prospect might seem way less laughable though. His only serious foe is Abi, more Takakeisho when not kyujo himself. I'd say that, with Terunofuji on vacation, there would be a two-men run to the rope between Takakeisho and Mitakeumi.

Would be entertaining.

5 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

Would be fancy, innit? If Terunofuji really goes kyujo this prospect might seem way less laughable though. His only serious foe is Abi, more Takakeisho when not kyujo himself. I'd say that, with Terunofuji on vacation, there would be a two-men run to the rope between Takakeisho and Mitakeumi.

Would be entertaining.

Sorry, but Takakeisho missed his opportunity. Given his health problems, he'll be lucky to stay Ozeki.

This Basho has been the most hopeful for quite a while. Several healthy wrestlers showed marked improvement and will fill the top ranks shortly (Abi, Kotonowaka, Mitakeumi, Hoshoryu, Wakatakakage). This is great since Teranofuji, Shodai and Takaleisho seem unlikely to hold on to their spots for long. I think neither Ozeki will be able to advance or even remain Ozeki the full year. And Teranofujis knees seem to have gone as far as they will take him :-(

As a bonus Ishiura and Ura provided a lot of exiting sumo, even if they do not have the physique to go all the way to the top.

2022 seems set for a lot of exiting sumo!

Edited by Orudo Toriitorunku

1 minute ago, Benihana said:

Sorry, but Takakeisho missed his opportunity. Given his health problems, he'll be lucky to stay Ozeki.

Health problems aside, everyone was saying the same about Mitakeumi's Ozeki prospects until, well, the other day. To be clear, I am not saying Takakeisho is going to become Yokozuna. I say he will try the impossible to get it. You all know how much he wants that fancy white rope.

4 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

Health problems aside, everyone was saying the same about Mitakeumi's Ozeki prospects until, well, the other day. To be clear, I am not saying Takakeisho is going to become Yokozuna. I say he will try the impossible to get it. You all know how much he wants that fancy white rope.

That fancy white rope will forever dangle right over his head and he'll never be able to catch it with his tiny T-Rex arms. Abi on the other hand... 

Mitakeumi struggling so long for his promotion wasn't really connected to being injury prone.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2