Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

Shodai salvages some Ozeki pride by avoiding the double-digit makekoshi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

Shodai - Chiyoshoma was a surprisingly good meaningless bout.

Now if only Shodai wrestled like that throughout the basho...

• Like 1

Might Ura's high rank get him some bonus points, considering the other contenders are at M5 or M6? Are those low enough for the guy already near sanyaku to be favoured over Onosho or Hosh? 

Edited by Katooshu

54 kensho on the senshuraku musubi, according to Abema. If Mitakeumi wins that is a fat load of bonus cash to go with the yusho and his new rank.

Edited by Seiyashi

Who's that guy with the gold glittering suit dohyo side???

MITAKEUMI YUSHOOOOO!

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 2

And Mitakeumi seals it. An excellent effort from him.

• Like 2

Just now, Benihana said:

MITAKEUMI YOSHOOOOO!

I knew he could!   He's the next Ozeki.   Congrats. 

I love me some Terunofuji, but I'm very happy with this result. There can be no arguing with Ozeki Mitakeumi after this.

Brilliant basho, great matches and drama the whole way through. May it continue all year!

• Like 2

Say hello to new Ozeki Mitakeumi! Congrats! Three yusho ranked in Sekiwake.

Not the best bout, but more than enough drama anyway. The best thing about today was that all possible permutations were exciting in themselves. I think I would have been happy with any outcome: Mitakeumi for the win at the first attempt, Terunofuji forcing the tomoesen, either Abi or Kotonowaka in that tomoesen. It's been a long time since we had a basho where there was no chance of a real anti-climax.

Terunofuji has to wait another year to complete his 'career grand slam' though. *Eikokurai quietly closes the InDesign file*

Edited by Eikokurai

11 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Should be 3 openings shouldnt it? Mitakeumi going up, and Meisei and Daiesho going down.

I was waiting for the main event, now I agree. Three ranks to fill. 

Terunofuji clearly not 100%, Mitakeumi capitalized straight away. Deserving Yusho overall. Promotion to Ozeki SHOULD follow imo.

• Like 1

Heck of a job by Mitekeumi. Did a great job of staying low and standing Terunofuhi up. Congrats on the Yusho and promotion to Ozeki. Well deserved. 

Wanted to see the playoff but good for Mitakeumi to silence his doubters and fulfill his Ozeki promise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

I think I would have been happy with any outcome: Mitakeumi for the win at the first attempt

I have been a long-time fan of Mitakeumi.  So, Mitakeumi to beat Terunofuji was the only happy outcome for me.   I forgive Mitakeumi for all the 2nd half collapses, and blowing previous chances to become an Ozeki. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:
4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I think I would have been happy with any outcome: Mitakeumi for the win at the first attempt

I have been a long-time fan of Mitakeumi.  So, Mitakeumi to beat Terunofuji was the only happy outcome for me.   I forgive Mitakeumi for all the 2nd half collapses, and blowing previous chances to become an Ozeki. 

Now we hope that he will be a marginally more successful ozeki than his sekiwake record indicates. He fully deserves his promotion, but the work to live up to the rank only starts here.

According to NHK reports, Terunofuji injured his calf in the Meisei match

18 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

As someone who loves a good pattern, Mitakeumi has to win tomorrow to finish this one.

a%3E

Ah ...

a%3E

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Godango said:

Spectacular match in Kotonowaka vs. Abi. The young bloke can hold his head up high after that effort, very nearly had him.

Yes, that was a banger. Could have gone either way right up to the end. Thrilling!

2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

You could sense he wasn't able to resist the way he is able to when healthy.

3 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Colour me unsurprised.

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Now we hope that he will be a marginally more successful ozeki than his sekiwake record indicates. He fully deserves his promotion, but the work to live up to the rank only starts here.

You mean like 4 Yusho at Ozeki instead of just the three he's got at the rank of Sekiwake? =D

Edited by Thorbjarn
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

A play off would have been the last thing he needed 

According to NHK, the promotion committee is moving ahead to approve Mitakeumi's Ozeki promotion. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:
8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

You mean like 4 Yusho at Ozeki instead of just the three he's got at the rank? =D

He'll probably win a couple more yusho at least as Terunofuji fades out and the field remains this weak, although if Hoshoryu is promoted to sanyaku and the two young Kotos make their way up the banzuke, he will have new challenges to face. But even if he doesn't win yusho, at least going double-digits more often would be a good start. He really ought to have no problems hitting 10 regularly.

Also, is it just me or is Mitakeumi a lot less smiley this basho? Has he done a Kisenosato?

Edited by Seiyashi