Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

Tied for the record...with 7 wins he'll get to stay in makuuchi and thus have a chance to set a new record next basho

Edited by Katooshu

Great big-man belt sumo from Tochinoshin and Ichinojo.

It's looking like we will have significantly more eligible contenders for lower sanyaku than slots available.

55 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

That's got to hurt for Oho, from 7-3 to 7-8 and back to Juryo.

I think some of us jinxed him with our praise for his performance up to Day 10:-S

6 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Eh, he's a makuuchi veteran and only beat 1 opponent higher than M8. Wasn't a serious contender in the yusho race either. Good stuff but no big deal he didn't get a sansho.

Not everyone who performs well is going to get one.

Sure, but 11-4 at M12 has been enough for a sansho plenty of times. Aoiyama has had two in less than two years with 11-4 at M12 and M13, and he's more of a veteran than Ishiura.

And many times it hasn't. I don't think he's been too hard done by. Ishiura also didn't get a J, was never seriously in the race, and didn't beat a winner or runner-up.

Edited by Katooshu

Sansho selection is a show (i.e., too subjective).  I can never take it seriously. Only the yusho is real. 

1 minute ago, Katooshu said:

And many times it hasn't. I don't think he's been too hard done by.

It's about even. Since 1958, 11 wins at Maegashira has got a sansho 181 times and not got a sansho 157 times.  

Wakatakakage just did the banzuke committee a favor by knocking Onosho out of contention for sanyaku. Sekiwake next basho for the Onami brother! We'll probably be seeing komusubi Ura next basho too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

And many times it hasn't. I don't think he's been too hard done by. Ishiura also didn't get a J, was never seriously in the race, and didn't beat a winner or runner-up.

Kotonowaka has been in makuuchi 10 bash now and he wasn't in the race till yesterday. The only top guys he beat were a fading Tamwashi and Takanosho. Hoshoryu should have at least been a conditional sansho. 

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

It's about even. Since 1958, 11 wins at Maegashira has got a sansho 181 times and not got a sansho 157 times.  

Right, so pretty normal not to get one. From a quick query it also looks like the numbers become less favourable when only low or mid maegashira ranks are considered (e.g. m16-m8, 11 wins = 96 sansho and 133 non-sansho). If Ishiura had done this as a high maegashira he'd probably have a better shot.

Edited by Katooshu

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

Kotonowaka has been in makuuchi 10 bash now and he wasn't in the race till yesterday. The only top guys he beat were a fading Tamwashi and Takanosho. Hoshoryu should have at least been a conditional sansho. 

So in other words, he was in the race going into the final day.

Agree on Hosh.

Edited by Katooshu

1 minute ago, Katooshu said:

So in other words, he was in the race going into the final day.

Agree on Hosh.

What happened to seriously? He needed lots of losses by others to even get near it.  if  Ishiura didn't even deserve consideration Kontonowaka's should have been conditional on beating Abi. 

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

What happened to seriously? He needed lots of losses by others to even get near it.  if  Ishiura didn't even deserve consideration Kontonowaka's should have been conditional on beating Abi. 

Kotonowaka only needed to win on day 15 to get to a playoff, he was right in it.

Edited by Katooshu

I wonder if they will consider Ura for Komusubi. Kachi koshi from this rank with at least two free sanyaku positions, yet again some froggy dudes might leap over him because of better records. Takanosho probably saved his sanyaku position, although it will be Komusubi, not Sekiwake. 

Takanosho finishes 7-8 to make his case for only dropping to Komusubi.

Just now, Katooshu said:

Kotonowaka only needed to win on day 15 to get to a playoff, he was right in it.

He needed to win AND Mitakeumi to lose. The same way he needed Terunofuji to lose to even get him that close. 

Should be 3 openings shouldnt it? Mitakeumi going up, and Meisei and Daiesho going down.

Just now, Katooshu said:

Should be 3 openings shouldnt it? Mitakeumi going up, and Meisei and Daiesho going down.

Waka and Abi are certain to take two of the spots. I guess one of Ura/Hoshoryu/Onosho for the third

2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

He needed to win AND Mitakeumi to lose. The same way he needed Terunofuji to lose to even get him that close. 

True, but that's hardly far fetched. He needed to win and another guy needed to lose for him to make a playoff. Hardly took a million different pieces coming together.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

I wonder if they will consider Ura for Komusubi. Kachi koshi from this rank with at least two free sanyaku positions, yet again some froggy dudes might leap over him because of better records. Takanosho probably saved his sanyaku position, although it will be Komusubi, not Sekiwake. 

Ura may be out of luck.   Abi, Onosho, Hoshoryu ma leapfrog Ura.

3 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

Ura probably is going to be M1w