Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

Watching the slow motion, frame by frame replay of Hoshoryu's face connecting with the tawara was both glorious and cringe inducing. Serious guts to say "well I could put my hand down and cushion the blow but I think I'll just faceplant instead...". I guess it got him the win though (and a mild 0.2 Muta crimson mask).

Also, Mitakeumi hurt his back in that bout. He couldn't bow properly at the end and was grimacing afterwards. Hope he can still go tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I personally don't need a strong elite every Basho, therefore I think this is a fantastic competition. A Terunofuji win and ensuing three-men-playoff would be great, aswell as Mitakeumi grabbing another Yusho at Sekiwake and finally making Ozeki, a goal that seemed unattainable at one point. Love it if senshuraku is like that, especially with a slow weekend coming up. 

@Morty kudos for the puroresu reference (back when I used to like it aswell, although I was more of an All Japan guy) 

Edited by Thorbjarn
  • Like 2

The NFL playoffs, the Australian Open, perhaps ? ;-)

Seriously, I don´t either, but a probable Ozeki corps of a current Shodai and Takakeisho, together with a talented rikishi but not known for his great training habits, that´s something I am going to need a few days to let it sink in.

We have been really spoiled for a very long time.

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

If Mitakeumi had been promoted and put up the same numbers as he had, he wouldn't be a great ozeki, somewhat Kaio-esque in his results... 

I suppose you are referring to the 33+ yo, post-2004 version of Kaio, who overall is probably the most successful ozeki ever.

20 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

I suppose you are referring to the 33+ yo, post-2004 version of Kaio, who overall is probably the most successful ozeki ever.

Yep. Not that alternating yusho and kadoban is a bad way to go either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kurowashi said:

2 Kadoban Ozeki, 1 Sekiwake and both Komosubi MK, this is the worst sanyaku since i‘m into sumo, iirc :-(

2 KK from the entire sanyaku is indeed a record low in the modern era, tied with Hatsu basho 2020 when Tokushoryu won the cup. Of course, it helps that the number of sanyaku rikishi is also at an all-time low (7).

But these things tend to even out in the long run. Less sanyaku means that it is easier to break into the top ranks, and of course under-performing sanyaku will be replaced. In Haru 2021 we had the opposite situation, with 7 out of 9 sanyaku rikishi getting KK including all komusubi and sekiwake, which made it very difficult to get promoted to komusubi.

Edited by Kashunowaka
  • Like 1

As said before, I prefer a close tournament over respective ranks dominating according to hierarchy. 

That being said...

I have a similar sentiment regarding the Sanyaku this basho, however pondering about it: While I agree that it isn't a good overall sanyaku result, it is necessary to put things into perspective. 

It is very worth noting that the junior sanyaku ranks are often unstable. Ejector seats if you will. A guy like Mitakeumi, who spends multiple tournaments in sanyaku on different occasions without getting promoted (so far) is more of a rarity than a norm from my anecdotal knowledge. And those who make it to Ozeki are still a minority compared to those who make sanyaku, I'd think. 

Means? There seems to be mostly a rotating crop of Rikishi who get to sanyaku, maybe stay a couple of tournaments at best, then get whacked out and rinse, repeat.

While is the result noticeable then? 

The Ozeki are more of a backbone to sanyaku, and this seems more worrying to me. Shodai seems to have lost all his mojo entirely, Takakeisho gets hurt a lot. We have a good Yokozuna, but he is very banged up. This might be why I hope for a quicker progression and more consistency from the "Juniors". 

Tl;dr: Bad results by Jr. Sanyaku seem to be somewhat inside the norm, bad results or a multitude of absences by Ozeki aswell as the ticking timebombs that are this Yokozuna's knees make me a somewhat worried Panda. 

• Like 4

As Godango put it, we have been spoilt for a long time by the number of ozeki. We started the Hakuho era with an average of 4 ozeki, gradually climbing to 6 in 2012, briefly dipping to 2 in 2013-2014 but returning to 4 in 2015. That lasted till early 2017 and since then we've never had 4 ozeki except during Terunofuji's brief return to the rank.

When you have 6 ozeki, two kadoban ozeki is fine. But when you only have 2, both going kadoban at the same time looks more dire, especially when both are a bit flaky. And while there is some self-correcting stability to this, in that a weaker sanyaku makes it easier to make ozeki based solely on H2H potential, none of the young crop have so far shown the necessary consistency amongst the hiramaku never mind the joi. Their sumo might be exciting and they might be fresh blood, but they are not ready to be sanyaku mainstays just yet.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

As someone who loves a good pattern, Mitakeumi has to win tomorrow to finish this one.

a%3E

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

As someone who loves a good pattern, Mitakeumi has to win tomorrow to finish this one.

a%3E

Reminds me the ol´ game "three in a row" or whatever it´s in English, we played clandestinely during boring lessons. Black is ahead 3-1, but Mitakeumi can still tie it with a win :-) 

Apologies for going off-topic.

So, next basho, I want Aoiyama to do a Terutsuyoshi and hop on the dohyo. Those giant flabs are gonna catch wind, and flap-flap-flap he flaps away…

• Haha 1

It's too early to label Oho a choker indeed, but it's worth pointing out (1) he had problems late in the 2 basho before this and (2) it apparently wasn't too early to label him ozeki/yokozuna material, and highly praise all sorts of his talents earlier in this basho, based on similarly few top division bouts.

Edited by Katooshu

Abi's win today was the seventh kinboshi to be won on Day 14. It was also the first kinboshi by a Maegashira 6 since Gagamaru defeated Harumafuji in 2015 Natsu. For a M6w specifically, the last was almost 32 years ago in 1990 Natsu when Kotonishiki defeated Hokutoumi.

Basho		Winner		Rank	Yokozuna

1973 Aki	Onishiki	M11w	Kotozakura
1974 Aki	Ryuko		M9w	Kitanoumi
1975 Hatsu	Mienoumi	M6w	Wajima
1984 Aki	Konishiki	M6w	Chiyonofuji
2017 Hatsu	Takanoiwa	M10e	Hakuho
2019 Nagoya	Kotoshogiku	M5e	Hakuho
2022 Hatsu	Abi		M6w	Terunofuji

• Like 1

Mitakeumi. 12 wins and  guaranteed at least a playoff. Congrats to Ozeki Mitakleumi. Great win for Abi,  Onosho and Hoshoryu. There's going to be a lot of Sansho this basho. Or should be. 

• Like 1

Congrats indeed, though I'm still hoping Teru beats him the first time tonight and we get a 3-way (Punkrocker...)

I will be rooting for Mitakeumi to win outright tomorrow, for several reasons: a) it would be a slam-dunk ozeki promotion, b) the yusho would be won by someone in the joi meaning no "easy" schedule, c) the winning result would be 13-2 which I regard as the hallmark of a quality yusho.

That said, if it becames a three-way playoff it will involve Terunofuji, Mitakeumi and Abi/Kotonowaka. For Terunofuji to win he must beat Mitakeumi twice, plus Abi (whom he lost to) or Kotonowaka. For Mitakeumi to win a playoff, he must beat Terunofuji (whom he has just lost to), plus Abi (again) or Kotonowaka. And for Abi or Kotonowaka to get to playoff and win, they must beat all the other three. In either case the yusho will be deserved, even if it's Kotonowaka. I will however be rooting hard against the latter due to his low rank and generally unimpressive sumo, despite 11-3.

Fujishima when interviewed about Mitakeumi's ozeki promotion hopes told the press "he didn't know" (wakarimasen). That's still very equivocal for someone who would be promoted with a win or a yusho. And I don't think Fujishima is refraining from saying it outright to avoid jinxing Mitakeumi, either.

IMO he's done enough for promotion, but the complete lack of any apparent interest by the powers that be is concerning for his prospects. 

• Like 2

Y'all should watch Kotoyusho - Atamifuji match. Not for the skill involved, but the emotion and drama. 

• Like 2

Kinda just seems like a standard safe answer to give before it's all announced or confirmed, in a sport of blunt and boring answers that never really say anything. He's got it I think.

Edited by Katooshu

M11e    Sadanoumi (7-7)                         M18e    Oho (7-7)
M15w    Tochinoshin (7-7)                       M2w     Ichinojo (7-7)
M2e     Ura (7-7)                               M13e    Chiyomaru (7-7)

Bench Sumo torikumi makers wouldn't have done it better... Tough matchups for the low-rankers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Henkas on Chiyoshoma are one of the top three reasons to watch sumo. His obvious fury at being Chiyoshoma'd every time it happens makes it all the more fun. 

I can't say this is 100% gospel, but my recollection is that Chiyoshoma's reaction after being Chiyoshoma-ed is typically a villainish sneer and microscopic head nod before leaving the dohyo.  He seemed to give a little more of a bow this time, without much sneer.  Am I reading too much into it to think he was saying to himself, "Tsurugisho, you magnificent bastard, you read my book!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

a%3E

Tic-Tac-Tozeki

• Like 2

I have really been enjoying the return of Abi. I was a fan when he first entered Makuuchi, but his antics and immaturity started to rub me the wrong way. His suspension seems to have humbled him and given him time to mature into a very respectful rikishi. I look forward to seeing where Abi goes from here!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Iwayama said:

I have really been enjoying the return of Abi. I was a fan when he first entered Makuuchi, but his antics and immaturity started to rub me the wrong way. His suspension seems to have humbled him and given him time to mature into a very respectful rikishi. I look forward to seeing where Abi goes from here!

His first week will be key next basho. He's likely to be booted up into the sanyaku ranks, reclaiming at least his old komusubi spot. He had had a decent run there for four basho but never really impressed at the rank; he was arguably unlucky to not get promoted to sekiwake with three straight KK, though. If he can come out of the first week better than even, the odds are good he will be headed for greater things.

Edited by Seiyashi

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

His first week will be key next basho. He's likely to be booted up into the sanyaku ranks, reclaiming at least his old komusubi spot. He had had a decent run there for four basho but never really impressed at the rank. If he can come out of the first week better than even, the odds are good he will be headed for greater things.

Basically, your argument is sound, but essentially Abi won't be meeting a much different caliber of opponents up there.