Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

Anybody else LOL and shout out loud, "What a BURN!" when seeing Chiyoshoma henka'd by, of all people, the ungainly Tsurugisho. I'll say it again: "What a BURN!" HA!

Edit: I see already others did. Knew I wasn't alone.

Edited by since_94
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

He's young and this is his Makuuchi debut. A bit early to be labeling him a type me thinks. 

I know, and I am rooting for him for his future. It's just quite frustrating seeing him wasting very winnable matches.

4 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Anybody else LOL and shout out loud, "What a BURN!" when seeing Chiyoshoma henka'd by, of all people, the ungainly Tsurugisho. I'll say it again: "What a BURN!" HA!

I shouted "justice!"

19 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

It seems we have yet another "week 2" rikishi. Oho 2 is currently ruining what Oho 1 was able to build up during last week. I was obnoxiously sure that Oho would have run over poor overbeaten, MK Akua today to get his KK. Conversely, Akua won and now 7-7 M18e Oho is going to put his staying in Maakuchi on the line tomorrow. Wow.

this is also his first tournament facing top division rikishi, and he's been wrestling his way up the banzuke.

9 minutes ago, Hankegami said:

I know, and I am rooting for him for his future. It's just quite frustrating seeing him wasting very winnable matches.

Even if he chokes his way back down to Juryo, it'll be a good learning experience and he'll probably be better for it in the long run.

That said, hope he gets the win for kachikoshi tomorrow. 

Oho's tournament trajectory is very much like Enho's was when he debuted. Lots of Matchpoints, yet no kachi koshi so far. He appears to have grown unsure of himself and his sumo all of the sudden. 

Oho can still secure kk tomorrow. 

Just checking results and Wakatakakage and his brothers all got kk by winning today.

• Like 1

Oho is having a terrible collapse, but that happens when you're young and inexperienced. I only hope he can scrape over the line tomorrow or else it's back to Juryo for him.

29 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Edit: I see already others did. Knew I wasn't alone.

Henkas on Chiyoshoma are one of the top three reasons to watch sumo. His obvious fury at being Chiyoshoma'd every time it happens makes it all the more fun. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

Oho's tournament trajectory is very much like Enho's was when he debuted. Lots of Matchpoints, yet no kachi koshi so far. He appears to have grown unsure of himself and his sumo all of the sudden. 

He has moved up with the big guys who study his strengths and weaknesses.  It's the old familiarity problem.  Make changes to overcome it or live life in the slow lane. Every day, he now has 5 likely opponents and four or five oyakata on or near the dohyo watching every move he makes.  If he goes for degeiko, he gets more attention.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Henkas on Chiyoshoma are one of the top three reasons to watch sumo. His obvious fury at being Chiyoshoma'd every time it happens makes it all the more fun. 

I hear ya, but I thought he took it in stride today. Haven't re-watched, but I seem to recall he even proffered a semblance of a bow in despite the ignominy of defeat, hoisted with his own petard, as it were. He's growing. As a person.

• Like 2

Mitakeumi's chance of becoming an Ozeki is now at 130%.  His chance of getting his 3rd yusho tomorrow is even money, at 50%, half-half, a coin toss.  

I'm kind of embarrassed and shocked, but I really didn't realize that Kotonowaka is still kind of in the race aswell. Let's see what Abi will do... 

Mitakeumi looked good, Takarafuji looked to be giving up in the end, but he withstood that initial charge of Mitakeumi that nobody had any answers for in week 1. With Mitakeumi having secured 32 wins, staying in contention until the final day AND being a proven commodity among sanyaku, he might actually have a shot at getting promoted. At the very least this is his most serious go at Ozeki yet despite the two Yusho he scored at Sekiwake before. 

Edit: With the end of the Hoshoryu vs Shodai bout I have to ask the stupid question... Is the gyoji actually allowed to call a torinaoshi himself? 

Edited by Thorbjarn

That could have been the third sashichigae for Inosuke, but with Fujishima we have a reasonable shimpan

2 Kadoban Ozeki, 1 Sekiwake and both Komosubi MK, this is the worst sanyaku since i‘m into sumo, iirc :-(

Just now, Kurowashi said:

2 Kadoban Ozeki, 1 Sekiwake and both Komosubi MK, this is the worst sanyaku since i‘m into sumo, iirc :-(

There’s plenty to be enjoyed about a level playing field though while we have it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kurowashi said:

Indeed. Feels like the nadir. Yet I am still entertained by today's bouts, and there are a lot of rikishi to support/follow, nothwithstanding.

Terunofuji seems very ginger walking onto the dohyo today. I hope it's not a portent of how the bout is going to go.

EDIT: It was. Second kinboshi in a basho given up. Terunofuji had no opportunity to get his legs set. Mitakeumi is back in the sole lead with Terunofuji, Abi, and Kotonowaka all chasing him. That pretty much confirms Abi will play Kotonowaka to keep one of their playoff hopes alive if Terunofuji beats Mitakeumi tomorrow, but Mitakeumi can beat Terunofuji to secure the cup outright. And there's no better time with how vulnerable Terunofuji is looking than right now.

Edited by Seiyashi

I recognise how gingerly Terunofuji stepped off the dohyo from my own knee troubles going downstairs. He's not in a good way.

Wow. Abi now the favourite for the yusho?

Sorry, got ahead of myself. I thought that win brought Abi back level with Mitakeumi.

Edited by Eikokurai

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Terunofuji seems very ginger walking onto the dohyo today. I hope it's not a portent of how the bout is going to go.

Your fault, for the jinx.

Now that's a proper (after) next ozeki - after Hakuho left, Abi is my favourite, and the most interesting rikishi at the moment

Just now, since_94 said:
4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Your fault, for the jinx.

Mea culpa... (Oops!)

Terrific sumo by Abi and not at all a fluke. My Abi Ozeki predictions from years ago aren't looking so far-fetched these days.