Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

There's no way to save individual posts, is there? The above two posts need a few likes, thanks, and consulting for Guess Hokutofuji's Aite (Beingninja...)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

That's not quite true.  They could have had Terunofuji vs. Meisei earlier instead of later.  

The general, no exceptional circumstances, scheduling has all Y v Y matches as late as possible, with O v Y matches right before them, and Y v S and O v O matches just before them, and Y v K, O v S just before them, etc.  That means you would have Terunofuji-Shodai on 15, Terunofuji-Mitakeumi on 14, Terunofuji-Takanosho on 13, and then have a choice between Meisei-Terunofuji and Shodai-Mitakeumi on 12.  However, in order for the latter to happen on 12, they'd have to have done Meisei-Terunofuji on a previous day, and while they could have done it day 11, with them having already done Shodai-Takanosho Day 10, it stood to reason that Shodai-MItakeumi was more likely for Day 11, not breaking the pattern of whether SvO or YvK was higher priority. 

Connected with this, they will have 3 intrasanyaku matches on Day 15 planned to go with the kore yori sanyaku soroibumi ceremony, and then spread the remaining matches evenly on the rest of the days (including Day 15 if there's enough), which meant after Takakeisho's withdrawal there was only 1 such match each day.  That part's not relevant for why they couldn't do Shodai-Mitakeumi 14 or 15 (they were already planned to be scheduled against someone else), but it might be helpful in the future to figure out why the schedule looks the way it does.

As someone who is newer to the sumo world, this post was extremely helpful.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

And yet I was hoping they would postpone Terunofuji's final Maegashira matchup (i.e. giving him Meisei on day 11) to make him available for Abi or Takarafuji if necessary without some major skippings like last basho.

I also have hope, but not much confidence. 

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

That's not quite true.  They could have had Terunofuji vs. Meisei earlier instead of later.  

The general, no exceptional circumstances, scheduling has all Y v Y matches as late as possible,

They could have, in theory, but I was fairly certain it would happen the way it did this certain. I remember explaining the schedule on Tachiai during Tochinoshin's Ozeki run in an effort to counter some misinformation about scheduling, but I'm not sure the person who posts the bout previews noticed.

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

That said, I won't be surprised for them to take the circumstances of this basho and do Terunofuji-MItakeumi on Day 15.  They already broke the unwritten rule of the highest ranked rikishi fighting in the last match of the tournament back when Terunofuji was Komusubi, simply to get the relevant match on the last day.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see them skip Terunofuji-Shodai to put Terunofuji against Abi or Takarafuji, not only for the Yusho race's sake, but because they want to do as much as they can to get Shodai his KK that's not totally obviously done for just that purpose.  WIth the pattern as I mentioned in my previous post, there wasn't a way to skip Shodai-Mitakeumi without arousing suspicion, since there are still plenty of days left for the maegashira to lose to other people.

I did wonder if they would do Terunofuji - Mitakeumi, Shodai - Takanosho on day 15, but realised that in order to do that they would have had to start changing the order of match-ups fairly early on. They could easily skip Terunofuji - Shodai on Day 15 for the yusho race, but only for Abi. Takarafuji is the same stable as Terunofuji.

• Like 3

Heads-up for anyone that might care: I was hoping to have time to do the Promotion/Demotion thread at least from Day 10 onwards this basho, but sadly I don't. Go right ahead if somebody wants to get a separate discussion rolling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Thankfully Mitakeumi has a record of making these ozeki promotion decisions easy for the committee and his eventual 11-4 won't please the fishmongers. 

9 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Karma came a-knocking for Ichinojo today. Flow of the match and all that, but Tamawashi kept that nodawa going until the big fella was right off the dohyo...

That was awesome; I thought maybe his hand got stuck to Ichinojo's neck.  Reminded me of that scene from Top Secret. https://gifer.com/en/G3Kp

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

And yet I was hoping they would postpone Terunofuji's final Maegashira matchup (i.e. giving him Meisei on day 11) to make him available for Abi or Takarafuji if necessary without some major skippings like last basho.

A rare error from someone as distinguished as yourself, seeing that the only way Teru would face Takarafuji is on senshuraku, if things go a really weird way

Edited by WAKATAKE

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

I remember explaining the schedule on Tachiai during Tochinoshin's Ozeki run in an effort to counter some misinformation about scheduling, but I'm not sure the person who posts the bout previews noticed.

I've tried too, but I think my fellow blogger likes the idea of narrative-driven scheduling too much.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rocks said:

I may be wrong but I don't think Shodai has come back to KK from 4-6 in his whole career.

He's been 4-6 four times previously and pulled it out once (at M7w), so you're bang on that the odds are well against him here.

Prior instances (and remaining days):

Hatsu 2017 (S1w | 7-8)
Day 11 Loss K1e Takayasu 8-3 (11-4)
Day 12 Win M2e Shohozan 4-8 (7-8)
Day 13 Loss M3e Okinoumi 3-10 (4-11)
Day 14 Win O2e Terunofuji 4-10 (4-11)
Day 15 Win M3w Ikioi 8-7
Aki 2017 (S1w | 7-8)
Day 11 Loss K1e Takayasu 8-3 (11-4)
Day 12 Win M2e Shohozan 4-8 (7-8)
Day 13 Loss M3e Okinoumi 3-10 (4-11)
Day 14 Win O2e Terunofuji 4-10 (4-11)
Day 15 Win M3w Ikioi 8-7
Kyushu 2017 (M7w | 9-6)
Day 11 Win M13w Aminishiki 7-4 (8-7)
Day 12 Win M12w Kagayaki 6-6 (7-8)
Day 13 Win M14e Kotoyuki 7-6 (8-7)
Day 14 Fusenpai M15w Myogiryu 6-8 (6-8-1)
Day 15 Win M14w Daiamami 6-9
Hatsu 2019 (M3e | 7-8)
Day 11 Loss K1e Myogiryu 5-6 (5-10)
Day 12 Loss M2e Nishikigi 5-7 (7-8)
Day 13 Win M1e Tochiozan 5-8 (6-9)
Day 14 Win M4e Kotoshogiku 5-9 (6-9)
Day 15 Win M1w Ichinojo 6-9

Based on the above, with the schedule he's about to have, I don't think he has it in him. The one time he pulled it out he faced no-one above M12w.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:
4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

A rare error from someone as distinguished as yourself, seeing that the only way Teru would face Takarafuji is on senshuraku, if things go a really weird way

[Takarafuji] was just a placeholder for any guy without neck, of course. B-)

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

That was awesome; I thought maybe his hand got stuck to Ichinojo's neck.  Reminded me of that scene from Top Secret. https://gifer.com/en/G3Kp

Anybody remember Ichinojo’s dramatic throat slam of Yoshikaze on Day 12 of Hatsu 2018? Maybe a bit of karma coming back on him

BA435130-C1B7-427B-91CA-59C744982EAC.jpeg

Edited by since_94
  • Like 1

Turning back  to our Oho watching, my involuntary exclamation watching his dispatch Chiyotairu with a hitakikomi was an appreciative  “Smooth!” So well executed. Again, he just looked so poised throughout the bout, and there’s no denying his physique looks like he’s built for at least Ozeki, IMO, barring injuries. 

Ura brought the excitement with the Superman-esque fully launched oshitaoshi push out of Daiesho. Fans liked it more than the recently discussed leg-pick.

Abi showed impressive ring awareness in a recovery against the (sometimes) wily Okinoumi, circling and getting behind him after nearly being pushed out himself.

• Like 1

I imagine the Torikumi will be late tonight with 2 more guys dropping out. 

30 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Magaki is the guest commentator on today's NHK broadcast. 

Not the first time he's commentated, right? How's the quality of his commentary relative to his fellow oyakata? 

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Not the first time he's commentated, right? How's the quality of his commentary relative to his fellow oyakata? 

Debuted last basho. Not as talkative as ex-Kisenasato (no one is). Quite similar to Kakuryu in style, both speak near-perfect Japanese, both have a wealth of knowledge and insight to offer, particularly as they're intimately familiar with the current crop of rikishi, having faced most of them numerous times. And he is the GOAT, after all. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

6 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

both speak near-perfect Japanese

I often wondered how fluent they (and other foreign rikishi) are. Are they perfect, but with an accent? Or do they still fumble some words? Or both?

8 minutes ago, Godango said:

I often wondered how fluent they (and other foreign rikishi) are. Are they perfect, but with an accent? Or do they still fumble some words? Or both?

Hakuho and Kakuryu speak near perfect Japanese, with little if any accent or word fumbling. Not too surprising as they've lived in Japan over half their lives since they were teenagers.

Terunofuji's Japanese is quite good, but has a noticeable accent, and likewise Harumafuji when he was still around. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Thanks 1

If there was ever a time for a vintage Chiyoshoma henka, this is it. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

If there was ever a time for a vintage Chiyoshoma henka, this is it. 

I was just saying to my wife to watch out for it. 

If it does happen, and Terunofuji falls for it, he deserves the loss really.

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

No henka! That was a respectable effort by Chiyoshoma, but as expected to no avail. 

He gave us a show, which was great and much appreciated by me. 
Anyway, it wasn't worth trying a henka as no one could get any cheaper than Hoshoryu today! Almost classic HNH, but I felt robbed of a bout this time.

---

For the first time ever during a basho, I went to the 'Ozumo discussions' before this thread to see if there was any mention of Myogiryu's and Shimanoumi's unexpected kyujo. Nothing as I type. 
Have they been caught up in the Hidenoumi thing? is what I'm wondering.

---

Again, some very entertaining sumo today. Has Kotoeko got extra dense bones or something? He's yorikiri-ing people like someone twice his size. 
I loved that matador finish to Terutsuyoshi's makiotoshi.

---

I thought that was one of Shodai's better efforts this basho, but Mitakeumi really wants it, doesn't he?
That was a great, full-on yotsu win for him, tantamount to telling the judging committee "See? I'm not a one-trick pony, either."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

For the first time ever during a basho, I went to the 'Ozumo discussions' before this thread to see if there was any mention of Myogiryu's and Shimanoumi's unexpected kyujo. Nothing as I type

there is a seperate thread for kyujos in this subforum

Rikishi Status - 2022 Hatsu Basho

• Thanks 1