Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

Ishiura has served up some entertaining stuff this basho, I have to say. That was another great display of technique against Kotonowaka there. 

Edited by Eikokurai

Yep. The slow motion replay from Ishiura-Kotonowaka is also pretty interesting: Kotonowaka tries to throw first although it seems their feet placement is reversed from what it usually is, so Kotonowaka is trying to crush down Ishiura more than throw him. Usually the throwing rikishi has their leg under their aite so the leg can become a pivot point, but Kotonowaka had his over Ishiura. Probably a good thing Ishiura didn't try for the ashitori then and there since I'm not sure how he would have gotten the leverage to pull it off without being fallen upon at that point.

Kotonowaka's throw fails, and then it's Ishiura's turn to try: he gets the throw loaded properly but on seeing Kotonowaka hang on in an irrecoverable position, just simply removes his hand and lets gravity do the rest of the work. Great stuff from both rikishi.

Bonus shot of Magaki-oyakata looking pleased as punch in the hanamichi.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 2

No KK interview for Takarafuji?

edit: had to wait until after the news break and following match. 

Edited by rhyen

41 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Ishiura has served up some entertaining stuff this basho, I have to say. That was another great display of technique against Kotonowaka there. 

Some.  But Ura takes the cake in the "entertaining" department.  

How many wins does Mitakeumi need to get promoted?  14?

4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

How many wins does Mitakeumi need to get promoted?  14?

Technically 13 (9+11+13 = 33) but since the first was a 9-6 the NSK might ask for some more. Isegahama-oyakata even requested a 15-0 but it was interpreted more a joke than an actual request. I think Mitakeumi is going to try a zensho "just to be sure" anyway.

Edited by Hankegami

Abi snaps his losing streak (if two can be called a streak) and finally gets his KK. 

17 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

How many wins does Mitakeumi need to get promoted?

Anything from 12 to 15, depending on who you ask and what day of the week it is. 13 by the numbers, but some are of the mind he needs 14 or even a zensho, which personally I find a bit much. I'm not convinced he even needs the yusho. 13 should be fine. It's an upward trajectory. Moreover, we've got one kadoban Ozeki in March and potentially two given Shodai's current performance levels, so even a "strong" 12 could see him over the line if the Kyokai feels desperate (that is, if he beats Terunofuji, Shodai and Takanosho for the clean sweep of the titled ranks).

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Mitakeumi B finally shows up as our favourite guy was yorikiri'd (sorry, oshidashi'd) by Hokutofuji in a couple of seconds. Now it's to be seen whether Mitakeumi A will manage to save his (their) Ozeki run despite all.

Edited by Hankegami

18 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Moreover, we've got one kadoban Ozeki in March and potentially two given Shodai's current performance levels, so even a "strong" 12 could see him over the line if the Kyokai feels desperate (that is, if he beats Terunofuji, Shodai and Takanosho for the clean sweep of the titled ranks).

This. Today's loss isn't necessarily the end of the world, personally I think he just needs to beat one of either Terunofuji/Shodai with 13+ (12+ if Shodai looks to be kadoban).  

Come on Onosho ... he has a win over Terunofuji quite recently, I think when Teru was Sekiwake. Keep the yusho race on edge by repeating the feat, please.

Pff. Never even in it. Once he went inside, that was that.

Terunofuji now definitely the favourite for the yusho. He was anyway even when trailing just because he still had to face Mitakeumi, but now they're level, his odds go right up.

Edited by Eikokurai

Losing to Hokutofuji isn't a biggie for Mitakeumi's ozeki chances, I think. Hokutofuji is shaping up to be the Akinoshima of this generation: enough in the bag to surprise the big shots once in a while, not quite enough to consistently stay in upper makuuchi. His worst 0-win lopsided record is 0-3 against Hoshoryu, and only has 2-12 against Asanoyama and 2-10 against Shodai for other lopsided records - he is roughly even or better against every other opponent he has fought.

Edited by Seiyashi

Back on the straight track for a Terunofuji yusho - and for Mitakeumi to a 12-3 finish. No ozeki this time, I say

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Back on the straight track for a Terunofuji yusho - and for Mitakeumi to a 12-3 finish. No ozeki this time, I say

Might still be doable. Their day 14 clash will probably be the yusho decider assuming Mitakeumi doesn't drop any more bouts. If Mitakeumi beats Terunofuji then - a tall order but not Kotoshogiku v Hakuho levels of impossible - he might still get both yusho and ozeki. Mitakeumi starting with a 9-6 might not be fatal considering Shodai started with worse, but he really needs to finish very strong to even force the conversation.

I wonder whether he will ever be offered a Goeido condition, since he's been in sanyaku for so long, but he gets a bad rep in training (as opposed to Goeido who was the king of the practice ring and not that great on the actual dohyo).

Of course now I've said it, Mitakeumi is probably going to drop one. Abi and Takarafuji are probably going to be brought up to face him to round out his schedule, as he still has two bouts to spare for days 12 and 13 (assuming day 14 he fights Terunofuji and day 15 he fights Takanosho).

Edited by Seiyashi

Today's oyakata guest on NHK Kagamiyama has no idea about what the fans like - "I has become interesting" - I'd rather say it has become less interesting now that we see Mitakeumi turn back to the usual and Terunofuji back to the now usual overpowering yokozuna

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Didn't like the outcome but appreciated the skill on display 100%. Brilliance.

7 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Today's oyakata guest on NHK Kagamiyama has no idea about what the fans like - "I has become interesting" - I'd rather say it has become less interesting now that we see Mitakeumi turn back to the usual and Terunofuji back to the now usual overpowering yokozuna

Touché. I have nothing...

12 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Mitakeumi turn back to the usual

It was one bout. Even Terunofuji has lost one this basho. Zensho is rare.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:
14 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Mitakeumi turn back to the usual

I'll believe it if he drops the next couple, or especially if he loses to Shodai.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Abi snaps his losing streak (if two can be called a streak) and finally gets his KK. 

He snapped it yesterday. 

29 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Losing to Hokutofuji isn't a biggie for Mitakeumi's ozeki chances, I think. Hokutofuji is shaping up to be the Akinoshima of this generation: enough in the bag to surprise the big shots once in a while, not quite enough to consistently stay in upper makuuchi. His worst 0-win lopsided record is 0-3 against Hoshoryu, and only has 2-12 against Asanoyama and 2-10 against Shodai for other lopsided records - he is roughly even or better against every other opponent he has fought.

Mainoumi was of a different opinion. He thought that Mitakeumi getting driven out easily by a lower-ranked rikishi just as the powers that be were to begin musing about his promotion was a bad look for the Ozeki wannabe. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

But Terunofuji was shaky at the beginning of the basho till he at last lost one, and that made the beast in him wake up - now he looks like he won't lose another. Mitakeumi tends to break down once he loses

10 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Mainoumi was of a different opinion. He thought that Mitakeumi getting driven out easily by a lower-ranked rikishi just as the powers that be were to begin musing about his promotion was a bad look for the Ozeki wannabe. 

Meh. Bigger names than Mitakeumi have fallen to this "lower-ranked rikishi". He's a former komusubi with seven kinboshi to his name. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Nice to start the day with old school Tochinoshin lifting Shohozan out with a tsuridashi. That's the second time Tochinoshin has beaten Shohozan that way, though it's a sign of where they're at in their careers that the last time Tochinoshin was an Ozeki and Shohozan a Komusubi. Today, they're M15 and J3.

There was the feeling they fed a depleted Shohozan to the ex-Ozeki. I can’t be the only one.

27 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

He snapped it yesterday. 

Well, then today he was just making sure. :)

• Like 1