Akinomaki

Hatsu 2022 discussions (results)

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Basically, your argument is sound, but essentially Abi won't be meeting a much different caliber of opponents up there.

Fair enough, although seeing as he was just outside the joi this basho, he didn't have the full joi schedule in week 1 as he used to. He had a whole bunch of M5s-M9s in week 1 and really only got the joi tour in the last 5 days, which is still an easier schedule by rank.

30 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

He had a whole bunch of M5s-M9s in week 1 and really only got the joi tour in the last 5 days, which is still an easier schedule by rank.

Exactly. B-)

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Am I reading too much into it to think he was saying to himself, "Tsurugisho, you magnificent bastard, you read my book!"

I think you are.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

As someone who loves a good pattern, Mitakeumi has to win tomorrow to finish this one.

a%3E

o <------- here's one.  I am predicting Mitakeumi to lose so that he actually wins.  He will not get promoted either.   The basho will be canceled due to a huge outbreak of Covid 22 among the rikishis.   Those are my 3 predictions of the day. 

6 hours ago, Thorbjarn said:

As said before, I prefer a close tournament over respective ranks dominating according to hierarchy. 

That being said...

I have a similar sentiment regarding the Sanyaku this basho, however pondering about it: While I agree that it isn't a good overall sanyaku result, it is necessary to put things into perspective. 

It is very worth noting that the junior sanyaku ranks are often unstable. Ejector seats if you will. A guy like Mitakeumi, who spends multiple tournaments in sanyaku on different occasions without getting promoted (so far) is more of a rarity than a norm from my anecdotal knowledge. And those who make it to Ozeki are still a minority compared to those who make sanyaku, I'd think. 

Means? There seems to be mostly a rotating crop of Rikishi who get to sanyaku, maybe stay a couple of tournaments at best, then get whacked out and rinse, repeat.

While is the result noticeable then? 

The Ozeki are more of a backbone to sanyaku, and this seems more worrying to me. Shodai seems to have lost all his mojo entirely, Takakeisho gets hurt a lot. We have a good Yokozuna, but he is very banged up. This might be why I hope for a quicker progression and more consistency from the "Juniors". 

Tl;dr: Bad results by Jr. Sanyaku seem to be somewhat inside the norm, bad results or a multitude of absences by Ozeki aswell as the ticking timebombs that are this Yokozuna's knees make me a somewhat worried Panda. 

Having seen how shaky Terunofuji has looked in several bouts this time, I'm not all that sure he will last much beyond the end of this year/early 2023.  He has a good chance of beating Mitakeumi but potentially having to fight three times on the final day may not be great for his knees.

It will be a shock if Shodai can retain his rank after March, Takakeisho will go the same way unless he can fight on the belt to some extent.  And you would have thought by this stage some of the young prospects would have made a clear step up (in terms of new generation coming through) but not much sign of that the moment, unless the like of Kotonowaka comes though. 

Swami

21 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

I'm not sure anything regarding Shodai will be shocking from this point

Shodai is simply puzzling for some time. I am wondering why he cannot employ his, basically fine, read-and-react style consistently. One valid argument that was already brought up is him getting in upright position too easily. But other than that, perhaps one of the more technically knowlegeable members here can chime in. It would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gospodin
editorial correction

2 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Shodai is simply puzzling for some time.

He's obviously lacking strength this time. Every rikishi harbours a cornucopia of minor or major ailments they don't necessarily talk about, especially when your rank implores you to be a Great Barrier. Something like "simple" back pains may be a sound solution for the puzzle.

• Like 2

Excellent basho so far. I would love an ending with a play off... with a Mitakeumi yusho and Ozeki promotion.

Prizes for Ishiura, Ura and Hosho Hoshoryu.

Kotonowaka and Abi seem to be in better physical condition after 14 days than Terunofuji and Mitakeumi. If Abi and Terunofuji win, I think Abi's movement in the playoff will be the key. If Kotonowaka and Terunofuji win, being Hatsu it's Kotonowaka's basho :-P 

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Am I reading too much into it to think he was saying to himself, "Tsurugisho, you magnificent bastard, you read my book!"

Great Patton quote     (Henka!!!)

• Like 1

The winner of Abi vs Kotonowaka is going to need a lot of effort from Terunofuji for that person to have a chance, but it means that we still have a chance to have a first time winner if Teru prevails. 

Yeah, they need effort from Terunofuji but I'm not sure how much of it... after all, Terunofuji won last seven matches (8 out of 9 since his comeback) and is 12-4[-1] against Mitakeumi.

Should Terunofuji win today, it would be the first 3 man tomoe sen playoff since Haru 1994 according to Nikkan

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202201220000926.html

Another publication had mentioned though that technically a tomoe sen did happen in Kyushu 1996, although that was when 5 men were tied and ended up in a playoff. The first two matches of the playoff eliminated Wakanohana III after losing to eventual winner Musashimaru, and Kaio was eliminated by Takanonami. The winners of those matches then advanced to the tomoe sen with Akebono, who qualified based on his drawing. Musashimaru would then defeat Akebono and Takanonami successively to win the yusho

Well this is kind of disappointing but for those who are getting them it is well deserved

Shukun-Sho --> Abi
Kanto-Sho --> Kotonowaka
Gino-Sho --> Mitakeumi

No honorable mentions for Ishiura, Onosho or Hoshoryu

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fashiritētā said:

Kotonowaka, another first time January Basho winner

Hatsu may strike again.

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

The winner of Abi vs Kotonowaka is going to need a lot of effort from Terunofuji for that person to have a chance, but it means that we still have a chance to have a first time winner if Teru prevails. 

2 hours ago, Ripe said:

Yeah, they need effort from Terunofuji but I'm not sure how much of it... after all, Terunofuji won last seven matches (8 out of 9 since his comeback) and is 12-4[-1] against Mitakeumi.

If Terunofuji's left knee was in the same condition as last basho, I don't think the other 3 would have a chance.

Today against Terunofuji (his knee was bad yesterday), the rikishi with the most movement (and who will make him go backwards) will have the advantage.

If Terunofuji gets the mawashi (and can go forward), there probably won't be any Hatsu surprise.

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Well this is kind of disappointing but for those who are getting them it is well deserved

Shukun-Sho --> Abi
Kanto-Sho --> Kotonowaka
Gino-Sho --> Mitakeumi

No honorable mentions for Ishiura, Onosho or Hoshoryu

Lame. Onosho beat Mitakeumi, who may be the yusho winner, as well as two Komusubi and an Ozeki. Ishiura kicked ass with a fine range of well executed techniques. And Hoshoryu hit double-digits for the first time. They at least deserved some conditional prizes, with wins today needed to get something.

• Like 2

Hosh had a 10-5 at M5 in July and got a G. Maybe they don't want to set the standard that he  gets a sansho anytime he gets 10 wins around that rank or something. That said, he's performed very well and has a win over someone still in the race.

I think Onosho should at least be up for one, even if conditionally. Guaranteed 10 wins and a win over the leader (who will at least make a playoff). He and Hosh have more impressive records than Kotonowaka's, though I know being in the yusho race is a factor in the choosing and neither of them are. Ishiura's been impressive, but I'm not particularly upset about a veteran at M12, who was never in the yusho race, being left out. Maybe they could've put him up for one conditional on Kotonowaka winning the yusho....

Edited by Katooshu

Disappointed in Kitanowaka losing 5 of his last 6 to end 8-7 after a much brighter start. Daishomaru winning by sukuinage is not something you see every day!

That said, he still didn't do any worse than Oho, Kotonowaka, and Hoshoryu did in their juryo debuts.

Edited by Katooshu

7 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Bushozan saved his sekitori status with the convincing win over Daishoho

Uh, I don't think it was in danger.  1-14 from J1 isn't a demotion by the numbers, and with records that bad, the numbers generally inflate how much the demotion actually is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Uh, I don't think it was in danger.  1-14 from J1 isn't a demotion by the numbers, and with records that bad, the numbers generally inflate how much the demotion actually is.

True, but sometimes with the ways the banzuke goes, you never know. I'm sure that with the lack of people with a strong promotion case that he was saved anyway like you say, but 2-13 makes for better numbers and cushioning his fall versus a 1-14