Sign in to follow this  
HappySumo

Had my first sparring match with a partner

IMG-1338-1.jpg

Dude on the right with his fists up is my partner and I'm on the left.

He has a ton of experience in martial arts and threw me around like a sack of potatoes until we talked about me running straight into his throw.

Absolutely the best time I've had in years. Also my cardio is horrible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did your partner wear his mawashi like that during training?

How do you feel now?

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Did your partner wear his mawashi like that during training?

How do you feel now?

I may have pulled it up during sparring. 

I feel pretty good. My shoulders, back and pecs were sore. My legs were completely unaffected. Today I rested completely and I feel fine. I have a few bumps but nothing I'd complain about. 

I have a theory I'm trying to throw him with my upper body not my legs. But also I have developed my legs far more than my upper body. 

It is essentially all I've thought about. I learned more in that session than all my solo training. 

Mostly what I learned is to be more judicious with what I try to do. I shouldn't just try to run over a guy who outweighs me. 

At the very end I tried circling and it opened up a lot of opportunities  and took his weight off me. But I was too tired to do anything with it.

Oh my big lesson was with throws. I thought I was strong enough to resist any throw but he demonstrated that with a good throw I won't see it coming. 

So I shouldn't over commit. 

36 minutes ago, HappySumo said:

Oh my big lesson was with throws. I thought I was strong enough to resist any throw but he demonstrated that with a good throw I won't see it coming. 

So I shouldn't over commit. 

My clubs coach who also takes part in sparring is a judo brown belt and yes, I've definitely learned resisting throwing has very little to do with strength and all about not giving an opening.

Glad to see you got to give it a go! Embrace the bruises. I definitely notice my chest/shoulders the day or so after training.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Godango said:

My clubs coach who also takes part in sparring is a judo brown belt and yes, I've definitely learned resisting throwing has very little to do with strength and all about not giving an opening.

Glad to see you got to give it a go! Embrace the bruises. I definitely notice my chest/shoulders the day or so after training.

Yeah I kept trying to power him back and all of the sudden I was on my back. Quite the experience.  That stopped once we talked about it. Or happened less frequently.