Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Rikishi talketh once in a while- Kyushu 2021

Day  5:  

Shoudai, second loss, today to Okinoumi: "I couldn't generate any power at the tachiai. My upper body went high really quickly. I've been doing badly against him lately (three straight losses)  and I think I was overly conscious of it in my sumo today and that was a bad influence on my sumo.. I think the content is good if I do a proper tachiai, and I need to concentrate more than usual so I can see to it that a tachiai like today won't repeat itself," he offered.

Takayasu, having an under 37 minute bout for a change and beating Houshouryuu: "I was able to go at it intensely today. Short sumo is the best sumo, right? This kind of intense and quick sumo should lead to tomorrow as well. I'm having some difficult bouts, but I will gambarize and will aim to do more intense sumo. The first part is over and I hope that the middle part will continue well," he said.

Abi, living away from home at the heya (still living there even though the punishment is over, away from his wife and small daughter) after getting punished for tomfoolery and on a 5-0 start: "I'm not too conscious of the numbers. I want to get that Makuuchi kachikoshi so that I will be able to say to myself 'well done' and return home.  At this point, all I'm thinking about is sumo, Today, I didn't want to let my opponent near my belt. I wanted to keep him at bay at the distance I like. That was all I was thinking about. It's important to win, but I feel it's important for me to show that I'm healthy. I just want to do better and better sumo. My mental state and my circumstances are totally different from when i was last in Makuuchi. I think I am earnestly immersing myself in sumo,"  he said.

Terunofuji, five straight wins, although he had a scare there for a second: "I think it was good. I was calm.."

Tochinoshin, entering the basho on day 5 after back spasms forced him to stay out so far: "My lower back is much better. I was really depressed while I was out and did not watch any sumo.."

Ura, 4-1 now: " We've only just begun. I don't need a carpenter. I don't know how all this will end.."

Shimanoumi, getting the nod from the gyoji, but the decision was overturned with a monoii, so no first win just yet this basho: "I lost, but I managed to have a good tachiai and moved forward. The content is getting better day by day.."

Ounoshou, five straight losses: "My feet are not moving well. I'm just trying to do attacking sumo.."

Meisei, third win, beating Kiribayama: "I was pushed back, but I was able to be patient. I'm able to concentrate and do good sumo.."

Wakatakakage . beating his college senpai Mitakeumi: " I patiently attacked from under. I'm giving it all I have!" (Has anyone else noticed that in every single interview he has, he mentions the "attacking from under" thingy?)

Takanoshou, beaten by Terunofuji: "I knew that if I don't constantly move around I have no chance. I stopped moving and that was bad.."

Terutsuyoshi beating Aoiyama who is 60 kilos heavier than him in a looong bout: "I'm tired. Bushed. Spent. It's good to be able to win long bouts."

Takakeishou, beating Myougiryuu and going 5-0: "The weather is good and I am able to concentrate while feeling good.."

Daieishou, stopping his losing streak at three, beating Ichinojou: "My hands and feet responded well. I hope to be able to ride this feeling from here on. I want to properly go about it each and every day!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Ura, 4-1 now: " We've only just begun. I don't need a carpenter. I don't know how all this will end.."

Him at the top of the world, I hope (Sigh...)

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takakeishou, beating Myougiryuu and going 5-0: "The weather is good and I am able to concentrate while feeling good.."

LOL this guy is kicking butt and what he's been talking about is the weather :-D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

We've only just begun. I don't need a carpenter.

白いレースと約束

Tobizaru looked beat after that bout (had trouble getting back to his position).  Aoiyama, on the other hand, looked stoic as usual; I think he's in better shape than I thought.

4 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Terutsuyoshi rather than Tobizaru...

Well, some little guy was knackered afterwards (Sigh...).

Day 6:

Local boy Shoudai loses for the third time. " I'm kind of surviving at the tachiai as a whole and doing 'receiving' sumo.. Not good. I had a feeling overall that things were somehow going my way. I just couldn't get that first step in.."

Abi, six straight wins:, winning by tokkurinage, a kimarite seen in Makuuchi only for the second time ever: "It was the first time I did that since turning pro. It was accidental.. My body was moving well so I guess i just followed it. I want to do good movement sumo tomorrow as well.."

Terunofuji, 6-0 as well: "I think the quality of sumo was good. There's no use in hurrying things, so i was thinking I should do what needs to be done..I'm thinking my body is moving well and I'm also thinking I'd like to gambarize for the rest of the basho."

Shouhouzan, struggling in Makuuchi with five losses: "Seems I've been doing everything as usual. I've still got a lot to give. No use making any changes at this point. I think I want to go on with the feeling that everything is as usual.."

Yutakayama, beaten by Chiyotairyuu: "I was totally beaten at the first step. It became my opponent's game.  I feel I'm going nowhere, treading water. If I overthink this these losses will pile up. I just want to think about tomorrow."

Hokutofuji, two straight losses after starting the basho with four straight wins: "The balance between my upper and lower body was not good. Tomorrow I'm facing a rikishi who is in good shape (Abi) so I need to properly do my own sumo all the way. Win or lose, if I do my own sumo, it will lead to good things."

Ura, beating ex- Ozeki Takayasu with that leg grab  and getting his fifth win: "I really don't think I'm especially in good shape. I'll feel that if I finish the basho with a good record. Right?"

Tamawashi, five straight wins: "We've only just started so i 'm not thinking about that. I think my hands extended well, but I have no idea what happens next.. I want to continue to do my own sumo all the way!"

Mitakeumi, winning after an initial henka: "It's because I hesitated. My opponent  (Myougiryuu, 6-5 in the past) does well against me so I was a bit lost.. My body is moving well so i think if I continue doing my own sumo in the second half of the basho I'll do well.."

Meisei, losing today tov Daieishou: "My legs did not move..My chin was high. I'd like to mount the dohyo, properly concentrate and believe in my own sumo!"

Takanoshou, beating Shoudai after a redo: "I was able to move forward and that was good. It's a big boost for my morale to beat an Ozeki. This will connect to tomorrow..'

Takakeishou, sixth win, beating Takarafuji easily: "All I can do is properly prepare for each bout every day. You can only have one bout a day. I can only do what I am able to do.. I shall properly concentrate tomorrow as well..."

Chiyotairyuu, fourth win, three straight, had his birthday on the 14th : "I got a coffee maker as a present and I'm drinking coffee every day and relaxing, and that is good..I used to drink coffee with milk but I  am suffering from diabetes so now I've started liking that bitter black coffee.."

Kotonowaka, winning on his 24th birthday: "If I can do sumo like today, that would be good. I've got to get higher in the ranks.. I want to show how good i really am."

Wakatakakage, fourth loss, losing to Ounoshou: "I was one step behind. I want to turn things around."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Day 7:

Mitakeumi, beating Kiribayama for his sixth win: "I am not happy with my sumo these last two days. I can't agree with that.."

Chiyonokuni, 4th win after a fierce thrusting bout against Shouhouzan: "I went all out with the intention of 'borrowing his chest'. It was fun.."

Terunofuji, 7-0, beating Myougiryuu who beat him the last time they met: "I was planning on going about it calmly. All I can do is concentrate a bout a day.."

Ichinojou, blasting Wakatakakage out with brute force: "I was able to do it as I had planned. I didn't want him to get close to me and planned on pushing him away while moving forward.."

Takakeishou, plowing forward and beating Okinoumi: "I think I properly prepared for this bout.  I wanted what I did during training to show on the dohyo. I'll only know what I will achieve after the last day.."

Shoudai, winning today but still not happy: "I'm not able to follow through on my tachi-ai yet. I want to pick up the pace from here on and get some consecutive wins!"

Ex-Makuuchi Tomokaze who dropped through the ranks due to a serious injury and was out for six bashos (26-6 since his return to the dohyo) got his kachikoshi today in lower Makushita (3rd division).: "I hit properly today and responded well.. My body is following well. I'm thankful to be able to do any sumo at all. I have  a personal trainer and a personal physician who have helped me build my body. It's not only my body, I'm carrying everybody's thoughts.."

Tomokaze's bout today against Naya, another of ex- Taihou's grandsons:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Day 11:

Wakamotoharu, Wakatakakage's brother, kachikoshi at the top of Juryo, virtually assuring him of a promotion to Makuuchi next basho, beating Ouhou. It will be the 12th time brothers will be in Makuuchi together:: "Well, we're mostly thinking of ourselves at this point. The promotion itself is not the point, the point is to gambarize and achieve good records when I'm up there.. "

Hakkaku, on Abi, 10 wins in his return to Makuuchi, beating Ura today: " He is thrusting well without pulling at all, and that is a powerful thing. That is why Ura crumbled. He gives the feeling that he just wants to do good sumo.  It seems that he is concentrating more on showing good sumo than the wins. Even if he loses the first step, he manages to move forward.."

Takakeishou, right behind the leader with one loss, beating Endou who beat him in their last two outings:: "I feel I need to properly prepare for each bout. I'm thinking what needs to be done in order to win, and this was the result. Terunofuji? I'm just thinking of myself and I am only concentrating on my own affairs..'

Mitakeumi, nine wins and getting closer to double-digit wins, beats Takayasu who had an 18-8 record over him: "Today my body was moving and I managed to get inside. My opponent never gives up until the very end. I lost yesterday but I guess i was able to bounce back. I intend to achieve the goal I had for this basho - I'd like to properly finish with double digit wins."

Shoudai, beating Meisei for his seventh win, getting closer to that kachikoshi: "After the tachiai I was able to get my left in and was able to generate pressure on my opponent. Yesterday i was pushed back by Takayasu so i was planning to move forward. I've still got the other  top rankers to face and I need to face them with a lot of concentration."

Terunofuji remains unbeaten and in the lead: "My tachiai was bad. It was not sumo that I can be happy with, but I'm happy I went about it calmly. " He is being chased by two rikishi with one loss and three more with three losses. Mental state? "I will not change a thing," he summed. 

Houshouryuu beats Tobizaru and stops his two straight losses streak: "Today i wanted to grab my opponent. I calmly kept my eyes on my opponent and it became the sumo I had planned." Tomorrow, his uncle Asashouryuu is planning to visit the venue. "Man, I'm really pumped up for tomorrow," said ex-Asashouryuu. It's going to be the first time Houshouryuu performs in front of his uncle. "If he does come, i better do good sumo.."

Abi, beating Ura, 10 wins: "I decided to  properly get  my first step in and calmly go about things. I think it went well. I'm not thinking about winning or losing, I'm just thinking of doing all-out sumo. In the past I used to go with my gut feelings. Nowadays I prepare while watching videos of my opponents and studying them well.. Guys like Tobizaru (yesterday) and Ura (today) - you never know what they'll come at you with.. If I don't think too much about the results, I can concentrate on my sumo."

Hokutofuji, only two losses, as he is ranked low: " I know more than anyone the difference between the lower ranks and the joi, I felt it on my skin.. I'm passing every day with composure.."

Akua, doing well at the edge but losing after a monoii: "I thought my opponent's foot went out first but I guess my body went dead first. I hope to face the next four days without doing anything unnecessary.."

Shouhouzan, local boy who got his makekoshi yesterday, overwhelms his opponent today: "My body moved better than I thought. It's been a while since I did good sumo. I was able to respond to my fans. I am getting cheered even when I lose, so I want to do good sumo in the remaining days."

Tamawashi, 37 year old veteran, ninth win: "A lot of young guys around me. If I pile on those wins I get to face the guys who are in good shape. I'm looking forward to that.."

Shimanoumi, winning streak stopped at five: "I'm not thinking at all. It's still hard to accumulate those wins.."

Wakatakakage, his brother clinching his kachikoshi and promotion to Makuuchi: "It's a great stimulus for me mentally. I will be concentrating on my own sumo.." (Talk about brotherly love- both of them seem to indicate they don't give a toss about the other..). 

Kiribayama, winning by tsuridashi: "It's not like I planned it. It came with the flow. I'd rather win by going forward.. Win or lose, I just want to show good sumo."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 21/11/2021 at 22:32, Thorbjarn said:

Takakeisho seems hell-bend on bringing that p-word back... 

It looks like calmly is the new properly...

• Like 1

Properly is passé now; many of the sekitori are beginning to unveil the until-now closely guarded secret: in order to win, oo-yay ave-hay oo-tay oove-may.

1 hour ago, hakutorizakura said:

Didn't know he's back in makuuchi ;-)

The Uncle is coming today, yay!

The uncle is coming to bring Enhou back to Makuuchi? Enhou has special permission to be wherever he wants to be, calmly and properly.

• Like 1

Final day:

Ichiyamamoto, will be back in Makuuchi after his Juryo yusho today: "I'm happy. If I can do the kind of sumo I did this basho consistently, I can win more bouts..I was watching Koutokuzan's bout  nervously (A loss would have handed Ichiyamamoto the yusho outright), and  when he lost, I was relieved. Yes, many people say I look like Abi. so i would like to show how we are different.." (I am totally looking forward to that matchup..)

College champ Kitanowaka 5-2 at Makushita 3, on his way to Juryo, beating Juryo veteran Mongolian Kyokushuuhou and sending him to Makushita:: "I was expecting a throw, so I knew i had to counter. I was able to do my own calm sumo till the end. I think it took me a bit too long to achieve this promotion (entered in March 2019). I've finally made it to the starting line. I want to go about it without losing my focus. I don't ant to overreach myself and will not try to rush things.."

Ura, first ever special prize (technique), losing today to Chiyomaru when his attempt at a leg pick backfired badly: "The final result was regretful.: I'm really happy with the fighting spirit prize. It's been a dream of mine since I entered sumo. I heard about the prize when i came in today. With all the injuries I suffered,  I never thought I would be able to make it back to Makuuchi, let alone win the prize so I was surprised.. More than I wanted it, I'm going to be part of the joi next basho. I want to be there without getting injured."

Abi, ends the basho with three losses and the fighting spirit prize, back in Makuuchi after that suspension: "I really wanted to crown this with a win, but I couldn't do my own sumo in the end.  I now know what I need to do. I guess I've changed.. It's been a year where I had to confront the way I face sumo. If I can have a sharper tachiai, I will be able to explore a lot of unexplored territory.. I will be discussing my return to my home with my wife after living at the heya for a year, as soon as I establish myself firmly in Makuuchi.""

Hokutofuji, 11 wins down at Maegashira 12: "I've dropped quite far down the banzuke, so I feel I will be closer to where I was before soon..I felt the difference between the joi and the lower ranks. It's the same Makuuchi but a totally different world- totally different pressure and tension.."

Takanoshou, beating Abi today and getting the fighting spirit prize, which was dependent upon his winning today: "I was a bit nervous but I'm really happy.  I'm glad i managed to win. I think my forward moving sumo was evaluated favorably by those who chose to give me the prize. This has given me confidence. I think this good feeling will connect to the next basho."   

Ouhou, ex-Taihou's grandson, finally looks like he will be promoted to Makuuchi with his 11 wins from Juryo seven: "I was able to properly move forward. More important to me than my position on the banzuke is my ability to do good sumo. It would be good if more and more people will be cheering for me.."

Kotonowaka, two straight losses and managed only 6 wins: "Things I need to improve need to all be improved, or else.. I'm still lacking in strength. I will be thinking of doing sumo by initiating the attack more."

34 years old  veteran Sadanoumi, nine wins in front of his hometown fans: "I really wanted to get a kachikoshi in Kyushu. My body is in the best shape since i joined sumo. I want to return to the upper ranks of Makuuchi as i still have a few good years in me.."

Kaisei, lowest east rank in Makuuchi and going makekoshi on the last day, losing to Endou.: "I'm Kaisei with the makekoshi. I'm ranked at M17 and Endou is ranked at M4 so when I saw i had to face him I was startled.. Maybe i was meant to drop to Juryo.."

Takayasu, winning today but makekoshi: "It was  a year of trials and tribulations but I've learned from it. I will properly be forging my body from scratch and  going from there."

Wakatakakage, six straight wins and kachikoshi: "Being able to fight against Joey the top rankers has given me a lot of confidence, but I'm still far from reaching my potential.  I will be properly polishing my own brand of sumo."

Daieishou, five straight wins, looking at a possible sanyaku return after four bashos: "I'm relieved, but the quality of my sumo was not good. i want to get my kachikoshi much sooner."

Takakeishou, losing to Terunofuji: "All i can do is get stronger. Believing that everything is a good experience, I will be facing the coming year and will continue to gambarize!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 10