Yubinhaad

Rikishi Status - 2021 Kyushu Basho

As already mentioned in the general talk thread, every eligible sekitori will start the Kyushu basho, the first in Fukuoka for two years. Only Asanoyama remains on the sidelines as he continues to serve his suspension.

---------------------

M10w Asanoyama

Ms31w Okinohama
Ms40w Yoshii

Sd9w Omoto
Sd12w Sadanogo
Sd25e Chiyonokatsu
Sd26e Marusho
Sd27e Nogami
Sd39w Shogun
Sd41e Kamitani
Sd48e Toma - reportedly intai
Sd51e Kototora
Sd53e Masuminato
Sd54e Nankairiki
Sd59e Mitotsukasa
Sd63w Hitoshi
Sd73e Seigo
Sd81e Asashinjo
Sd91w Fujiizumi
Sd92e Kotorikisen

Jd10e Hidano
Jd11w Yamane
Jd13e Takataisho
Jd23e Kotomaeda
Jd30w Kitanomine
Jd41w Asadaimon
Jd53w Wakayama
Jd76w Tanimoto
Jd79w Sadatsuyoshi
Jd80w Kotetsu
Jd84e Mihonoumi
Jd84w Nakashima - third consecutive kyujo due to a back injury, he has stayed in Tokyo for treatment, reports Musashigawa-beya.

Jk8w Takatairiku
Jk11e Imafuku
Jk14e Kitamura
Jk15e Tochihayate
Jk15w Tairikuyama
Jk20e Fukuminato - just returned to the banzuke after an unconvincing maezumo appearance in September, we may see him enter late to stay on the banzuke.

Isegahama-beya's Jonokuchi gyoji Shikimori Sota retired as of the 10th, after a year and a half in the job. I can't say I'm surprised, he never quite seemed to settle into the role.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4

Any idea if any is going to enter the basho injured and should withdraw in the first few days (or stay until the end and finish with 2 or 3 wins)?

Edited by Asapedroryu

Lower division absentees added to the top post.

12 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Any idea if any is going to enter the basho injured and should withdraw in the first few days (or stay until the end and finish with 2 or 3 wins)?

If I knew that, I could be UDH champion every basho! (Laughing...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Terunofuji perhaps? He can kyujo without being demoted*)

*) then scolded by YDC.

Edited by code_number3

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Unexpectedly, Yomiuri reports that M13w Tochinoshin is kyujo from the opening day of the basho. Yutakayama will get the fusensho.

Guess he will be drinking wine in Georgia pretty soon…

• Haha 1

Senior sanyaku yobidashi Jiro is kyujo due to a broken toe, one month rest needed. Katsuyuki is doing the yobiage for the last two bouts of each day this basho.

12 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Unexpectedly, Yomiuri reports that M13w Tochinoshin is kyujo from the opening day of the basho. Yutakayama will get the fusensho.

Acute lower back pain came on suddenly yesterday, requiring two weeks rest according to the medical certificate. His shisho says he may enter later if his condition improves sufficiently (and if he wants to stay out of Juryo, he'll have to).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

J12w Hokuseiho is kyujo from Day 2, no reason seen yet. Asanowaka gets the fusensho.

Wow.

Hagiwara just got wheeled away in a pretty sorry looking state. Looked like something with his right knee.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, yohcun said:

Hagiwara just got wheeled away in a pretty sorry looking state. Looked like something with his right knee.

Crud! He's gone 8 straight KK since his debut.

Bit late, but ahead of Day 3, one rikishi joined the basho while another withdrew.

Entering:

Sd41e Kamitani

Withdrawing:

Ms7w Oshoumi

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Dang, some disappointing kyujo from the Naruto crew

Especially considering Naruto Oyakata put his deshi on the Bulgarian Yogurt Diet he assured them would prevent injury. 

Two withdrawals from the lower divisions ahead of Day 5:

Ms35e Hagiwara - as reported further up the page, an apparent knee injury in his last bout.

Jd21w Kakutaiki

10 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Tochinoshin is back tomorrow. He will face Kagayaki on day 5.

Hatachiyama-oyakata (former Komusubi Tochinohana) was on the broadcast today, he reported that Tochinoshin's recovery has gone quicker than expected, he was feeling better day by day and was able to do some light exercises in the keikoba yesterday.

Edited by Yubinhaad

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Two withdrawals from the lower divisions ahead of Day 5:

Ms35e Hagiwara - as reported further up the page, an apparent knee injury in his last bout.

Jd21w Kakutaiki

Hatachiyama-oyakata (former Komusubi Tochinohana) was on the broadcast today, he reported that Tochinoshin's recovery has gone quicker than expected, he was feeling better day by day and was able to do some light exercises in the keikoba yesterday.

That's devastating for Narutobeya.  Oshoumi at Ms7 is tied for their highest rank ever, and Hagiwara at Ms35 has an eight basho KK streak.  This leaves Oshoma/Delgerbayar and Oshoryu in upper Makushita to try for sekitori.

Just one change ahead of Day 7, Ms31w Okinohama begins his basho with a bout against Katsunofuji tomorrow.

Oshoumi is a really disappointing one for me. Asagyokusei had his arm wrenched, but Osh didn't appear to be too uncomfortable after the bout and I wasn't expecting a kyujo. He was on a really nice and perhaps a bit under the radar of a run . I've liked his style since the amateurs - strong, technically sound, and well rounded sumo - and I hope his recovery is speedy.

Is Naruto quick to pull his rikishi out? That's not a criticism, just seems like his guys take a lot of kyujo from what I remember.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Oshoumi is a really disappointing one for me. Asagyokusei had his arm wrenched, but Osh didn't appear to be too uncomfortable after the bout and I wasn't expecting a kyujo. He was on a really nice and perhaps a bit under the radar of a run . I've liked his style since the amateurs - strong, technically sound, and well rounded sumo - and I hope his recovery is speedy.

Is Naruto quick to pull his rikishi out? That's not a criticism, just seems like his guys take a lot of kyujo from what I remember.

It seems to me that the heya has had an uptick in the injury rates this year in particular, as for a sensible kyujo policy it's hard to know from a distance of course, only they really know the severity of the injuries sustained.

Oshoumi might yet return to the basho, looking at the hoshitori table on the heya website he's not shown as yasumi all the way to senshuraku, whereas Hagiwara is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

It seems to me that the heya has had an uptick in the injury rates this year in particular, as for a sensible kyujo policy it's hard to know from a distance of course, only they really know the severity of the injuries sustained.

Oshoumi might yet return to the basho, looking at the hoshitori table on the heya website he's not shown as yasumi all the way to senshuraku, whereas Hagiwara is.

Of 16 rikishi in Narutobeya, it appears 4 are out: Oshoumi (Ms7w), Hagiwara (Ms35e), Marusho (Sd26e) and Yamane (Jd11w).  Kawamura is back after 2.5 basho off for injury, falling from his career high of Sd55w all the way to Jk13e.

As if on cue, one rikishi returns to the basho, while two others pull out ahead of Day 9.

Returning:

Ms7w Oshoumi (withdrew Day 3)

Withdrawing:

Sd23w Matsuda (fusenpai Day 8) - first career kyujo

Jd71e Kirizakura

• Like 2

One rapid returnee and one withdrawal from the lower divisions, ahead of Day 11.

Returning:

Sd23w Matsuda (withdrew Day 9)

Withdrawing:

Ms21w Nishikawa (fusenpai Day 9)

No sign of anything being wrong in Nishikawa's previous bout, which he won, so it's a mystery for now.

• Like 1