Sign in to follow this  
HappySumo

Has a sumo wrestler ever been to space?

Recommended Posts

This sounds crazy but I'm counting amateur sumo. 11 people of Japanese nationality have been to space plus a ton of Russians.  It's not impossible  but I didn't see any confirmation in my Wikipedia and Google dive.

 

Anyone have an answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not, considering that Russia has been on it since the cold war (as Soviet) and they only managed 1 ton of payload, while Japan hasn't got that much experience in space race and a single rikishi weighs half a ton.

 

Sorry, I'll show myself out :-P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hakutorizakura said:

Maybe not, considering that Russia has been on it since the cold war (as Soviet) and they only managed 1 ton of payload, while Japan hasn't got that much experience in space race and a single rikishi weighs half a ton.

 

Sorry, I'll show myself out :-P

That's probably the right take.  The Mercury astronauts were jet pilots, but 1) jets aren't big in the cockpit area, and 2) the Mercury capsule had to be trimmed of all excess weight and space, so the astronauts had a height limit of 5'11" (1.79 m).  Obviously, a 150 kg guy even at 1.8 m tall is going to take up too much space.

By the time of the International Space Station, restrictions had been relaxed, but you still have to get the crew up to the station in some capsule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of thought maybe a Japanese astronaut wrestled in college or high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked through the list of Japanese astronaut bios and tried a Google search, but nothing has bubbled up as yet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

I looked through the list of Japanese astronaut bios and tried a Google search, but nothing has bubbled up as yet.

I tried the same thing but I only read English . I appreciate you making the effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about Japan's 11 astronauts, but I think even in Japan the overwhelming majority of people have never done sumo. It's not like trying to find an American astronaut who played some little league when they were younger.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I know nothing about Japan's 11 astronauts, but I think even in Japan the overwhelming majority of people have never done sumo. It's not like trying to find an American astronaut who played some little league when they were younger.

I guess that's fair I just thought it might be a possibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember doing calculations about getting things into orbit during Physics lessons, and it's all about minimising mass. So, my first impulse would be to say rikishi haven't got a chance of being astronauts.

But then William Shatner went to space a couple of weeks ago, and he's probably getting on for twice the man he used to be when he was Cpt Kirk.

I'm not sure that qualifies as being an astronaut, but I guess anything's possible if Mr Bezos wants to pull a Japan-oriented publicity stunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I vaguely remember doing calculations about getting things into orbit during Physics lessons, and it's all about minimising mass. So, my first impulse would be to say rikishi haven't got a chance of being astronauts.

But then William Shatner went to space a couple of weeks ago, and he's probably getting on for twice the man he used to be when he was Cpt Kirk.

I'm not sure that qualifies as being an astronaut, but I guess anything's possible if Mr Bezos wants to pull a Japan-oriented publicity stunt.

If you're talking about an Alan-Shepard style up 'n' down like that, anyone could be an "astronaut", including Konishiki or Ichinojo.  The Blue Origin is meant to get people above the minimum altitude for space flight and do it in style, so there's plenty of room for heavy people.  To me, an astronaut™ has been all the way around the ol' Blue marble at least once.

[Editor's Note: When I saw the shape of the rocket I knew it was made to order for Shatner, IYKWIM.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And no chicken farmer has ever been an astronaut.  Several were born on farms where a few chickens were raised, but they left the farm when they reached adulthood.  One of the cosmonauts is rumored to have retired to a farm that cultivates broccoli, but there are no chicken farmers on record.  B-)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to guess, I would say Takaganja has been the closest to space (Laughing...) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Asojima said:

And no chicken farmer has ever been an astronaut.  Several were born on farms where a few chickens were raised, but they left the farm when they reached adulthood.  One of the cosmonauts is rumored to have retired to a farm that cultivates broccoli, but there are no chicken farmers on record.  B-)

However, Wikipedia says that while he was fighting to be reinstated to Ozumo, Sokokurai worked on a chicken farm in Fukuoka.  So, a rikishi hasn't been an astronaut, and a chicken farmer hasn't been an astronaut, but a rikishi has been a chicken farmer.

Therefore, all men are Socrates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly they missed the opportunity to shoot up Gagamaru in his prime and give us a second moon.

I would love to see a sumotori in micro gravity. With price/kg plummeting thanks to SpaceX and Starship, i'm pretty sure we'll see one in the future. For now i'd be happy with a sumotori riding the Vomit Comet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benihana said:

Sadly they missed the opportunity to shoot up Gagamaru in his prime and give us a second moon.

I would love to see a sumotori in micro gravity. With price/kg plummeting thanks to SpaceX and Starship, i'm pretty sure we'll see one in the future. For now i'd be happy with a sumotori riding the Vomit Comet.

With all the weight he's lost it's never been cheaper to put Gagamaru in orbit.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Roho and Hakurozan back in the day were getting close to space, given their habits.

 

Swami

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2021 at 18:41, Benihana said:

Sadly they missed the opportunity to shoot up Gagamaru in his prime and give us a second moon.

Gagamaru goes from an ozeki run to a moonwalk :-D
 

4 hours ago, Swami said:

Perhaps Roho and Hakurozan back in the day were getting close to space, given their habits.

Swami-san, I forgot about Roho, Hakurozan, and Wakanoho.

Edited by Kujo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, to sum up the first two weeks of the thread ... no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always funny how people consider the surface of our planet not being part of "space"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Always funny how people consider the surface of our planet not being part of "space"...

And sumoforum really is a space for nitpicking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Always funny how people consider the surface of our planet not being part of "space"...

I know; it's like how people consider geographers to not be "astronomers".(Detective...)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I know; it's like how people consider geographers to not be "astronomers".(Detective...)

To pick more nits: that's not astronomy, that's planetology. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this