Sign in to follow this  
Inside Sport Japan

2021 All Japan College Championships

I think sumoforum can claim credit for Kawazoe's win, since he was obviously spurred on by our recent discussion of him :-D

21 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Huh, so much for the Federation's "Due to the NHK television broadcast, day 1 will not be livestreamed" remark on their website...

The video, despite the title didn't seem to be live. At least in Japan it wasn't accessible until after all the action had concluded.

Final bout shots

• Like 2

Unfortunate, I appreciate the confirmation.

While I'm at it...Team Class C results (via the aforementioned account):

Winner Hokkaido University
Runner-up Nagoya University
Semifinalists Rikkyo University & Tohoku University

Also part of the C competition were Hiroshima University and the National Defense Academy.

IIRC the top 4 are joining the 12 B-ranked universities for the Class B competition, of which the top 4 in turn will become part of the Class A tournament alongside the best 12 teams.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

While I'm at it...Team Class C results (via the aforementioned account):

We had that as well ;-) 

Going to try and have someone at more amateur meets going forward.

17 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Unfortunate, I appreciate the confirmation.

Is there something not shown on his account that you need? Can ask Lionel (the ISJ photographer who was there yesterday) to scan or take a shot of what you need.

Edited by Inside Sport Japan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Inside Sport Japan said:

Is there something not shown on his account that you need? Can ask Lionel (the ISJ photographer who was there yesterday) to scan or take a shot of what you need.

I appreciate the offer, it's mostly just that digital documents are vastly more helpful for somebody with my limited means of using Japanese. :-) There's indeed a wealth of material in that user's tweets as is, so I'm fine on the "amount of content" front.

Edit: Oh, the Federation even had video of the Class C team event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRI1w35zbe8

QF
Rikkyo bye
Nat'l Defense 1-4 Hokkaido [starts at 5:10]
Tohoku bye
Nagoya 3-2 Hiroshima [10:30]

(one Nagoya win by default, Hiroshima only had 4 team members available)

SF
Rikkyo 2-3 Hokkaido [16:00]
Tohoku 1-4 Nagoya [21:20]

(again one Nagoya win by default, although the roster list had Tohoku with 6 available participants)

F
Hokkaido 3-2 Nagoya [27:30]

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

I appreciate the offer, it's mostly just that digital documents are vastly more helpful for somebody with my limited means of using Japanese. 

So scans or photos of pages are no help then right?

Ok well usually the hositori pdf is on file somewhere in the Japan Sumo Federation offices. We've been planning to get all the data from them for past Sumo World Championships and various major meets in Japan anyway so once we get around to that we'll send it on.

• Thanks 1

Team semifinals

Nittaidai 3-2 Nichidai; Kinki 3-2 Toyo

Nichidai raced to a 2-0 lead on Nittaidai in the semis, but the latter then pulled off 3 straight wins, including Daiki Nakamura beating individual champ Kawazoe (below). Nakamura has beaten Kawazoe all 5 times I've seem them face each other. It was sad to see that Nichidai's Kawabuchi, one of the best on the college scene, was injured and could barely kneel before his match. He then immediately crumbled when it started and had to be helped off by several teammates.

hh2.png

hh.png

Kinki also pulled off a comeback from 2 down, beating Toyo in the other semi. The Kinki team is fairly small in size, but skillful. They also outperform what you'd expect of them just looking at each of their showings in individual competition.

Kinki's Tanioka getting his team the 3-2 win.

tan.png

Team final

Nittaidai 3-2 Kinki

In contrast to the pair of come from behind semifinals, Nittaidai seals the deal in the first 3 matches, before losing the final 2.

The decisive match was won by an ecstatic Nakamura (below), who went 6-0 in the team competition and 11-1 overall (including beating the individual champ) for perhaps the most well-rounded performance of the tournament. Hanada and Imazeki for Nittaidai won all their team matches until the final, but then both were defeated, perhaps after losing some motivation with the victory secured.

This was Nittaidai's first win in this tournament since 2014 (then with another Daiki Nakamura on the team), despite them having won many other team and individual titles in that time.

bc38cfa6.jpg

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I think sumoforum can claim credit for Kawazoe's win, since he was obviously spurred on by our recent discussion of him :-D

I was thinking the same thing lol

Keita has now leapfrogged Fuma as the most successful sumo wrestler in the family.

• Like 1

Pics from the papers

student yokozuna Kawazoe

final vs. Hanada

4.jpgo

4.jpgo202111060000962-w200_0.jpgo

with 3rd place teammate Kusano (2nd year like Hanada)

202111060000962-w200_1.jpgo

b_14822666.jpgo   4.jpgo 20211106-OHT1I51245-N.jpgo

another 4th year 3rd place is Toyodai's Hoshiba, SD100 qf, for the four  5th placed I don't have the school year, 4th years may use the qualification, 3rd years maybe next year, if the 2 year validity remains - but Nakamura surely won't be satisfied with just this SD qualification.

Nakamura in the team final

4.jpgo

team winner Nittaidai

202111070000861-w200_0.jpgo o

20211107-OHT1I51284-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking up the quarterfinalists in the team rosters, I think the class years shake out like this:

W Keita Kawazoe (Nihon, 4th)
RU Hidetora Hanada (Nittai, 2nd)
SF Naoya Kusano (Nihon, 2nd)
SF Shinsuke Hoshiba (Toyo, 4th)
QF Yasutoki Kayo (Nittai, 4th)
QF Daiki Nakamura (Nittai, 3rd)
QF Shion Fujisawa (Kinki, 3rd)
QF Taisei Kitano (Kinki, 2nd)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1