East Dragon

Goeido to start new stable according to Chris Sumo - true?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, long time lurker but I felt the need to join and ask about this.

Chris Sumo's latest video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwCPymJOl9o) states that Goeido is going to open his own stable. However people on the Grand Sumo Discord server say that they can't find any source about this anywhere else.

I was wondering if anyone here can confirm this news? I don't speak Japanese so I can't search for anything myself, but various people are saying there's no newspapers saying this yet. How does Chris know this if that's the case?

Thank you! Sorry is this is the wrong place for this.

• Like 7

Welcome!

I've tried a cursory search and can't find anything new relating to Goeido or Takekuma oyakata in the Japanese news, either. That said, Chris seems to have some informal connections, so it's not out of the question that it's something he's heard on the grapevine. But I think we will wait and see for some formally published news.

Like him or not, you've got to give Chris credit for scooping a genuine story here.

8 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Like him or not, you've got to give Chris credit for scooping a genuine story here.

For a gaijin, he has very good links to the grassroots of the sumo community. One of his best video series was a trip to Kashiwa when Kotoshoho, then Kototebakari, was storming up makushita and making juryo promotions. He was basically in a position to do first hand reporting from Kotoshoho's parents' bar/diner where the local community turned out to support him and then Kotokamatani (now Kotonowaka), who both had been members of the Kashiwa sumo club.

Other highlights of his worth checking out are the setsubun videos where he goes rikishi-chasing, and his daily basho videos are unique because AFAIK no other major sumo Ytuber uses their own shot footage (sorry, Kintamayama-sensei). There's also an older series where he chats to a former rikishi who's opened a chanko restaurant.

When he does reporting, he does a bloody good job of it. It's when he strays over into editorialising that he gets too carried away into J Jonah Jameson territory.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

When he does reporting, he does a bloody good job of it. It's when he strays over into editorialising that he gets too carried away into J Jonah Jameson territory.

Yep, his latest video suggesting that Teronofuji threw that bout to Meisei solely based on the evidence that he was his mate, is getting the comments it deserves.

• Like 2

Oh man that video is cringe, unfortunately he's increasingly turning into a conspiracy wackjob, though credit for this scoop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Karasukurai said:

Yep, his latest video suggesting that Teronofuji threw that bout to Meisei solely based on the evidence that he was his mate, is getting the comments it deserves.

Just watched it and seen Terunofuji jarring his knees moving off the dohyo. If he was going to throw the match wouldn't he have found a less painful way to do it?

Meisei came closer than anyone to beating Hakuho in Nagoya, to my mind he's as capable as anyone of defeating the current Yokozuna.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Octofuji said:

If he was going to throw the match wouldn't he have found a less painful way to do it?

Absolutely agree! I bet Terunofuji didn't thank his friend for that knee jolt. It looked like it hurt.

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Oh man that video is cringe, unfortunately he's increasingly turning into a conspiracy wackjob, though credit for this scoop.

There's something about the rawness of the sport that makes some people think that the better rikishi has to win every single match, when that's clearly not true for any other sport.  Does anyone say that Federer or Djokovic throw their matches when they lose to someone normally inferior to them? 

I suppose it's also the ranking system and such that makes it ripe for people to throw matches that end up not mattering to them, or mater much more to the opponent, but Terunofuji-Meisei last basho was hardly such a match for either side at the time it took place.  Even if Meisei would have lost that match, in the end it would just have him swap places with Ichinojo for no loss of salary, and slightly worse placement if he gets demoted before returning to Sekiwake.  Obviously it would have made no difference if Terunofuji won, but there was no way of knowing at the time.

It also might be the case that in order to drag out a "bought" tennis match, it takes a lot more effort on the part of the competitors to make it look real compared to sumo, which has bouts over in a few seconds as opposed to hours.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

On 29/10/2021 at 21:08, Seiyashi said:

his daily basho videos are unique because AFAIK no other major sumo Ytuber uses their own shot footage (sorry, Kintamayama-sensei).

I'm taking the fifth here, as usual.  As for using his own footage, One and Only, although Japanese, famously used his own footage for years.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5

On 29/10/2021 at 15:19, Itachiyama said:

Confirmed!!!

On 29/10/2021 at 15:24, Itachiyama said:

Somewhen in 2022, location not decided yet.

Here we go!

Chris has become "Fabrizio Romano" of sumo newsB-)

On 29/10/2021 at 09:19, Itachiyama said:

Confirmed!!!

Do you have a source? I still can't find anything about this. Koenkai newsletter or something? I'm sure it is true (because it's too big a lie for it to end up being a blatant falsehood) but I couldn't find anything when he first said it and I still can't now.

As for the matchfixing allegations, Chris actually commented on the Meisei video addressing "those watching in the future" that somehow his analysis wasn't understood fully at the time and that because he lives in Japan and understands traditional Japanese culture, he's right. I replied to him pointing out that in his July day 12 video, he essentially accused the fixture committee of protecting Terunofuji from Meisei because Meisei didn't care about Teru's yokozuna run and definitely had the skills to beat him. But now, the only way Meisei could beat Teru is if he lets him. So he's not even inconsistent in his conspiracy. I've really no patience for his videos at this point. Sorry to focus on the negatives but every day Chris says something that has people up in arms and it's really becoming a chore to listen to.

Edited by Hidenotora
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Hidenotora said:

Chris says something that has people up in arms and it's really becoming a chore to listen to

Agree. The good news at least is that if you do watch his videos the YouTube subtitling is now decent enough that you don't have to listen to him (Laughing...)

This conversation is going to run and run and it's fair he gets credit for breaking the news but might be worth the mods cleaning up the subject line to "Takekuma beya news" or "Goeido heya branch out" since there will be other media sources who will doubtless come into the conversation to confirm it and will add detail to the conversation. As for this...

2 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Chris has become "Fabrizio Romano" of sumo newsB-)

Maybe this was tongue in cheek, but if we're being serious he does hard work and sometimes good work but I'd say Itachiyama-san above is a little bit closer to being the Fabrizio Romano of sumo if you're looking for the real Here We Go. Fabrizio Romano famously does involves himself with rumours but certainly not with wackadoo conspiracies.

• Haha 2

If you think all the bouts are fixes you will see them as fixed (see ST). If you think they are all straight, you will see them as straight. Chris calls it how he sees it, and he knows what he's talking about. It would be refreshing if we could all activate our Bullshit Detectors to call out the "questionable" or even "iffy" performances in the upcoming basho.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just the Meisei-Terunofuji case brought up above makes it pretty clear that he doesn't know what he's talking about. But since it's far from the first time you're defending some Chris Gould nonsense, I doubt this post will make any difference to your beliefs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

But since it's far from the first time you're defending some Chris Gould nonsense, I doubt this post will make any difference to your beliefs.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Thanks for so readily proving the point that you're among the very last people on this forum who are in any position to call on others to activate their BS detectors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Thanks for so readily proving the point that you're among the very last people on this forum who are in any position to call on others to activate their BS detectors.

I can only swoon and beg for mercy when confronted with such impeccable logic.

So uh... Takekuma-beya huh? That's fun. Let's talk about that!

Knowledgeable people, who in Sakaigawa are his deshi and/or likely to go with him?

Edited by Godango

So now that he's been getting a lot of negative feedback to his videos now, he finally comes out to say something. No matter how well connected he may be, how about let's lay off on the conspiracy theories a bit. Glad to see there are other people calling him out on it now. I don't mind if he has criticism towards the NSK or the YDC, but when he's throwing the conspiracy theories in there it's a turn off.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Godango said:

So uh... Takekum-beya huh? That's fun. Let's talk about that!

Knowledgeable people, who in Sakaigawa are his deshi and/or likely to go with him?

I wonder, too.  Was he known as a teacher/mentor in the heya?  Did he help guide the careers of Sadanoumi, Toyohibiki, Myogiryu?  Did he talk about "raising up rikishi to surpass me"?

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

I wonder, too.  Was he known as a teacher/mentor in the heya?  Did he help guide the careers of Sadanoumi, Toyohibiki, Myogiryu?  Did he talk about "raising up rikishi to surpass me"?

In terms of age all of them are more or less his peers, Toyohibiki even being slightly older. Of course rankings hierarchy and everything, but still... I doubt he was a mentor figure for them.

• Like 1