Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kyokai joint keiko - October 25th-28th 2021

The joint keiko kicked off today. Takayasu is back from his injury and faced Mitakeumi and Kiribayama  others for 14 bouts (12-2). "It was a good session. I was able to do attacking sumo. I'm healthy," he said later. Ishiura (3-5), Kiribayama and Ounoshou and others were there as well.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Participating sekitori: Standing left to right: Chiganoura Oyakata, Kagayaki, Mitakeumi, Ishiura, Takayasu, Azumaryuu, Ounoshou, Nishikigi, Hanakago Oyakata, Kiribayama, Onoe Oyakata, then non-sequitori Shimazuumi, Ryuusei, Sazanami (all Makushita) and finally sekitori Kaishou on the far right. 

Crouching: Hokutenkai, Dewanoryuu,  Dainichidou, Yuuki, Shounannoumi, all Makushita rikishi. 

FCi_a3nVkAEDtvU?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Octofuji said:

Wow I did not recognise Kagayaki

He looks a lot like Kaiho.  B-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Octofuji said:

Wow I did not recognise Kagayaki

He's there for the first time. "I have problems at the edge of the dohyo where I get upset a lot and lose. I need to work on that, so that's why I'm here," he said. He faced Kiribayama, Ounoshou and Takayasu for 19 bouts today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitakeumi absent from day 2. Only 7 sekitori, Komusubi Takayasu (15 bouts today) ranked highest. "If I am lazy I get injured, so I have to go out there and give it my all," said Takayasu.

Kiribayama had 19 bouts, tsuridashiing Kagayaki in the process. "I want to work on that-I'm not that good at it for now," he explained.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very odd not to see any kind of a senior presence* at this joint keiko. I wonder if Shodai's absence is due to the talking-to he received last time out? We're very much used to having seen Hakuho and Kakuryu at these over the past couple of years, even lending their chest or just doing exercises when they weren't physically fit to enter the basho.

* I appreciate that some will view former Ozeki Takayasu and 9-6 addict Mitakeumi as senior figures but I'm referring to current Ozeki and Yokozuna for avoidance of doubt. Obviously I get that Terunofuji is unlikely to need to be present owing to the large number of eligible partners in his own stable and also his fragile health.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, themistyseas said:

Very odd not to see any kind of a senior presence* at this joint keiko. I wonder if Shodai's absence is due to the talking-to he received last time out? We're very much used to having seen Hakuho and Kakuryu at these over the past couple of years, even lending their chest or just doing exercises when they weren't physically fit to enter the basho.

* I appreciate that some will view former Ozeki Takayasu and 9-6 addict Mitakeumi as senior figures but I'm referring to current Ozeki and Yokozuna for avoidance of doubt. Obviously I get that Terunofuji is unlikely to need to be present owing to the large number of eligible partners in his own stable and also his fragile health.

Takakeisho has also never been a regular at these, so it might just be the current crop of seniors + Shodai getting scared off from last time. Most of the rikishi also appear to be from stables with relatively less diverse choices for training partners (no Sadogatake, Kokonoe, Kasugano, or Isegahama rikishi for instance), and I'm frankly surprised that the Miyagino chaps turn up as often as they do by this metric (although not really a surprise given the similar styles of their sekitori and the relative inexperience of Hokuseiho to be a real challenge fighting large rikishi).

• Like 1

These are fun to watch, I especially enjoyed makushita. There's a different dynamic in keiko - some of the guys who don't stand out so much during honbasho are real beasts in training. Shimazuumi in particular had some nice streaks in the makushita group. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Some new faces at the joint on day three- Myougiryuu and Meisei, 11 sekitori in all.

Meisei - 22 bouts (15-7) against the likes of Takayasu, Kiribayama and Ounoshou. "I wasn't thinking about reacting too much. I think I was concentrating on a bout at a time and going about the keiko in that fashion," he said. He also borrowed Takayasu's chest for a five-minute butsugari session. "It's been a while since I did butsugari against a heavy opponent. Takayasu is a heavy dude and I was groggy. I wasn't thinking too much about the fact that I was the highest ranking rikishi at the session. I just wanted to do some good training and focused on myself.." he said. He then went on to praise Hakuhou and lamented on the fact that he could never beat him (0-2), although he really wanted to. "The fact that nobody was even close to being a real challenger is due to Hakuhou's extreme strength. Our generation is just not good enough, I guess.." he offered.

Myougiryuu had 11 bouts . "My opponents were strong sanyaku guys so the wins or losses or number of bouts are not important. The content of the keiko was good, and that's what's important," He came to the session with stablemate Sadanoumi, and it's their second straight participation. "No soken, no rengo keiko, so I think this kind of joint session is excellent. The atmosphere was good, and it seems that everyone there came in search of some good degeiko. I'm at the stage of building my body and taking care of my health," he summed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Katooshu said:

some of the guys who don't stand out so much during honbasho are real beasts in training

Brings to mind a certain Gozeki.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Brings to mind a certain Gozeki.

Or Takayasu recently. Don't know about Goeido but having Takayasu's stamina is bound to make you shine in sessions like this compared to an actual basho.

Those are some impressive numbers from Meisei, I would like to see him continue his run in san'yaku.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yohcun said:

Unusual to see Ichinojo absent from these.

Getting that Japanese citizenship is very tiring.

• Haha 2

New Juryo Hiradoumi arrived at the joint today and is aiming for the Juryo yusho. He faced the likes of Ishiura, Azumaryuu and Nishikigi. "I was able to do forward-moving sumo and that was good.  I was moving surprisingly well.  ( Heyamate Sadanoumi comes behind him and tells him to say he is aiming for the yusho..)  First, uh, I think that  I need to get my kachikoshi so I need to train even more to that end.  Well, OK, I will gambarize and aim for the yusho!!" he then declared.  He is training hard with heyamates Myougiryuu and Sadanoumi. "I will gambarize and aim for the yusho!" he reiterated after the session.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Yesterday was the last day. Meisei had 17 bouts (8-9). "I think it was good. The content was present. I want to properly get my kachikoshi  and hopefully it will connect to next year, bringing about good feelings,"  he said.  

Kiribayama was there for all four days, having only nine bouts today."I was able to train with all kinds of people and that has empowered me, I think," he said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2