Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses Kyushu 2021

Kiribayama trained at home with the lower rankers (no other sekitori at his heya) , 19 bouts, won them all. This, after doing the fundamentals and sweating much. "I'm trying out all kinds of stuff, attacking, defending, facing all types of opponents. My aim is to do 30-40 bouts.. Sanyaku promotion? I'm going about it as usual..", he said. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kiribayama trained at home with the lower rankers

202110190000419-w200_0.jpgo202110190000419-w200_2.jpgo b_14773386.jpgo 202110190000419-w200_1.jpgo  20211019-OHT1I51149-N.jpgo b_14773387.jpgo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Oldest active sekitori Shouhouzan will make a triumphant return to his hometown in Kyushu next basho after his imminent return to Makuuchi after 7 bashos. "I'm really happy to be back in Makuuchi for Kyushu and I hope to show good sumo there. Kyushu has always been good to me (entered Makuuchi at Kyushu 2011). Memories from facing Hakuhou? He was a beast.. He was crazy strong. I wanted to beat him just once but it was not to be. I never won, but just facing him gave me a lot of confidence," said Shouhouzan.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kiribayama trained at home with the lower rankers (no other sekitori at his heya)

So no chance of Kakuryu digging out his mawashi to go a few bouts with the stable's new top dog? I'm thinking of the way Kisenosato/Araiso used to do that with Takayasu.

• Like 2

A friendly  reminder "ganbarimasu" from Ryuuden who will be entering Kyushu after serving his three basho suspension. He will be ranked at the bottom half of Makushita so no chance of a quick return to Juryo after the basho..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last man to beat Hakuhou was Mitakeumi. I spoke to him from my tent outside his heya*. He did some fundamentals two days ago at the heya. He was 9-6 last basho. "All in all, my sumo was good, I stuck to my pushing . My body was moving well, I could see my opponents and was able to go about it calmly. I was moving forward and was able to take advantage when my opponents crumbled. In short, my sumo was good," he explained to me at length. Still, he had three straight losses on days 12-14. "That losing streak was unnecessary, is what i keep thinking. Although it is irritating, more than saying my spirit was lacking, it seems that there are some days I simply can't counter my opponents' moves and can't hold my own ground. I need to analyze things more deeply and in advance and that could change things, " he added. He now will have 27 bashos as a sanyaku, tied for 6th place all time, yet he has had double digit wins only 4 times as a sanyaku and two yushos. "I'm just racking up those kachikoshis. I'm not going about it with any special thoughts. I'm happy to have achieved  that record.. I know that everyone expects much more from me and I will not abandon my hopes to reach higher. I've had three straight makekoshis in Kyushu but I won't be dwelling on that. My aim as always will be double digit wins. That won't happen unless I strive for it!" he said.

As for handing Hakuhou his final loss of his career back in last July on day 12: "It was an honor just to be active at the same time as Hakuhou and to have faced him on the dohyo.. Whatever people were saying about him, he was able to prepare well and achieve those results, fulfilling his obligation as a Yokozuna. I guess I handed him his last loss but every time i faced him I never knew how he will be coming at me and it was scary and he was constantly outwitting me. I really wanted to beat him and the first thought that comes to my mind is that I actually felt he was the strongest there was on my own skin .." summed Mitakeumi, and gave me a thwack on my head**.

*- No I didn't.

**-No he didn't.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Mitakeumi

did some fundamentals two days ago at the heya.

b_14782307.jpgo 20211022-OHT1I51223-N.jpgo

• Thanks 2

Wakatakakage is not participating in the Kyokai's training session as he usually does. He trained at his heya today against his brother Wakamotoharu - 15 bouts."I will be properly training at the heya," he said. He has been watching videos of rikishi from the past and "stealing" their techniques, ex- Harumafuji in particular. "His tachiai-with that body and that speed.. I've been watching all kinds of former rikishi's moves. I'm studying ex-Wakanohana and ex- Tochiazuma's otsuke techniques. Together with Wakamotoharu, I have been watching these videos, of, like Chiyonofuji, since i was in elementary school.." he added.  In July, he went 5-10 at komusubi. "Of course that was a bummer, but that was that and this is now. I will be training properly in order to return to sanyaku. I shall be attacking from under and training seriously to that end," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 7

Ichinojou trained at the heya's Fukuoka facilities today. He arrived with the heya on the fifth but only started training today as the dohyo had to be constructed etc.. He will start serious training tomorrow, today was just limbering of body parts. "It feels good to be in Fukuoka after some time. It's nice and cool and I love it," he said, being reminded of the weather back home. He is still around the 208 kilo mark. "I love the food here-I will definitely be sampling the tonkotsu-ramen and the motsunabe," he said, planning to go after the basho. He almost missed last basho after contracting the virus. "I barely made it in and did no real training," he said. He already had six losses on day nine but managed to turn that around and get his kachikoshi at Komusubi, beating both Ozeki and both Sekiwake in the process. He had only one makekoshi this year. "I aim to get a kachikoshi this basho. I will be facing the basho hoping to get as many wins as I can. I can only go about it by having confidence in my abilities without hesitating. I suffer from overthinking  and not being able to do my own sumo, while hesitating at times at the tachiai. I want to be able to properly decide what it is I want to do. To that end, I will be properly training. If I can get into my sumo, that would really boost my confidence," he added. He acquired Japanese citizenship a while ago. "in the future I want to properly give back to the Japanese people what they gave me and have acquired the citizenship to that end. I am where I am thanks to my Oyakata and everything he has taught me. I intend to be part of the yusho race. In any case i will do my best not to drop out of the sanyaku and will be ever aiming upwards," he summed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Ichinojou trained at the heya's Fukuoka facilities today. He arrived with the heya on the fifth but only started training today as the dohyo had to be constructed etc.. He will start serious training tomorrow, today was just limbering of body parts.

b_14826943.jpgo b_14826945.jpgob_14826944.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Houshouryuu faced heyamates Akua and Meisei for 30 bouts today. "I'm feeling exactly the right feeling as I go about my training..My body is moving well , I am properly hitting, - in all, I feel good!" he announced. He is stressed out due to the fact that his uncle has announced his intention of coming to watch the sumo in Kyushu. He has never been seen in live action by his uncle. "I want to show him good stuff. I want to do sumo worthy of his praise. I want to concentrate 100% !!" he said. He went kyujo last basho because of tonsillitis. "The kyujo caused  me to lose some of my stamina. My lower body was weak. I lost a lot of the bouts at the tachiai," he added. He is now training with the intent of strengthening his lower body in order to add more speed to his tachiai. He gets inside a rubber tube and pulls while doing suriashi. This basho, a new Mongolian recruit who came with him on the plane to Japan will be joining sumo at Makushita tsukedashi 15 - Naruto beya's Oushouma (Delgerbayar). "At first, we used to wrestle together. I then switched to the sumo club, but he did that later, in college. I'm glad my friend is joining sumo. He is starting high in the ranks as the top college graduate and I think that's great. I think he'll be climbing up the ranks and I am looking forward to facing him!" he enthused. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Myougiryuu is hoping to reach sanyaku soon.  The last time he was Komusubi was January 2019. "I'm in a position to do that, it's a great opportunity. I'm getting ready for the basho with that in mind. ," he said. Today, he faced heyamates Sadanoumi and Hiradoumi for about 20 matches. "I have begun building my body since the end of last basho. I've been doing sumo since the banzuke was announced. I plan to do sumo till very close to the start of the basho, as usual. My age (35) doesn't change my training regimen- I'm not neglecting the fundamentals either, " he added. He does not like to be reminded of his age. When a reporter addressed him as "veteran", he half-jokingly  responded: "I'd rather you not call me that.. I do not feel like a veteran at all. I feel young! My sense of speed is my weapon. When that will no longer exist, that will be bad.. I was a bit worried before Aki as I was ranked pretty low (M10) and coming off three straight makekoshis. But after winning 11, I feel I've still got a lot of genki in me and I feel I'm ready to face what's coming. I want to greet the new year with a kachikoshi. I'm looking forward to the basho as a part of the joi!" he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Houshouryuu faced heyamates Akua and Meisei for 30 bouts today.

202111090000424-w200_0.jpgob_14830801.jpgo  20211109-OHT1I51290-N.jpgo

Meisei

20211109-OHT1I51188-N.jpgob_14830799.jpgo 

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Myougiryuu is hoping to reach sanyaku soon.  The last time he was Komusubi was January 2019. "I'm in a position to do that, it's a great opportunity. I'm getting ready for the basho with that in mind. ," he said. Today, he faced heyamates Sadanoumi and Hiradoumi for about 20 matches.

202111100000278-w200_0.jpgo

The Fukuoka Kokusai Center, where the basho will be held

4.jpgo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitakeumi preparing, wearing a (new?) shimekomi

b_14837057.jpgo 202111120000365-w200_1.jpgo 20211112-OHT1I51161-N.jpgo b_14837059.jpgo 

Hoshoryu, Terunofuji

20211110at42S_t.jpgo 20211111at44S_t.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Mitakeumi looking very big, i dont think i ever saw him this big. Hoshoryu also looking to be at his heaviest, i hope he makes uncle proud.

Is that Nishikifuji with Terunofuji? 

• Like 1

Hard to say who it is with Terunofuji, at least only one foot taped

20211112-OYT1I50171-T.jpg?type=mediumo

Naruto trains with his guys

20211113-OHT1I51218-N.jpgo

• Thanks 1