HappySumo

Should I wash a new Mawashi to soften it

Recommended Posts

I'm getting conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the forum. I got a new canvas Mawashi and I have folded it and I'm pressing it with weights.

 

I saw in a JSA video some sumo boil their practice Mawashi to soften them and read in a forum some wash them to soften them. 

The Mawashi I have will be for practice and competition. It is very stiff and seems like it would hurt to wear without bike shorts. 

I appreciate any advice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HappySumo said:

I'm getting conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the forum. I got a new canvas Mawashi and I have folded it and I'm pressing it with weights.

 

I saw in a JSA video some sumo boil their practice Mawashi to soften them and read in a forum some wash them to soften them. 

The Mawashi I have will be for practice and competition. It is very stiff and seems like it would hurt to wear without bike shorts. 

I appreciate any advice 

Can't help you with this one, other than to say that I do wear skins/bike shorts for practice and boy howdy does it help with chafing/mawashi burn!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Godango said:

Can't help you with this one, other than to say that I do wear skins/bike shorts for practice and boy howdy does it help with chafing/mawashi burn!

Feeling the material I don't know how you practice without bike shorts. 

I was planning on buying some but I figured there had to be a way to make it softer and saw that video where a wrestler was boiling his new Mawashi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappySumo said:

Feeling the material I don't know how you practice without bike shorts. 

I was planning on buying some but I figured there had to be a way to make it softer and saw that video where a wrestler was boiling his new Mawashi. 

Yeah I just saw the same video. 30 mins each side it looks like. Interesting. Couldn't do any harm, I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Godango said:

Yeah I just saw the same video. 30 mins each side it looks like. Interesting. Couldn't do any harm, I guess?

My concern is once I boil or wash it I can't exactly undo it. 

Then again if the pros are doing it then it probably isn't going to be a big problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried on the Mawashi for the first time last night. Surprisingly comfortable but I need to figure out how to wear it so I can move easily. It's obviously a challenge to put on by myself. 

 

I think I'm going to start doing morning training in the Mawashi but I have to build in time to put it on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as preparation of a new mawashi, but this recent Japanese video from an amateur rikishi/sports trainer shows the process of washing the mawashi, like they clean the boiled new mawashi in the NSK video

The NSK video is advice from Shikoroyama-beya's Tatsutagawa (Homasho) and should be generally applicable, not just as the way they do it at the Shikoroyama-beya

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Not as preparation of a new mawashi, but this recent Japanese video from an amateur rikishi/sports trainer shows the process of washing the mawashi, like they clean the boiled new mawashi in the NSK video

The NSK video is advice from Shikoroyama-beya's Tatsutagawa (Homasho) and should be generally applicable, not just as the way they do it at the Shikoroyama-beya

Thank you. I might boil it tonight. I already folded and pressed it but that probably doesn't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HappySumo said:

Mawashi in the Washer would be a good band name. 

"Boiled Mawashi" might be a little more modern and edgy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't they made with cotton and come starched and need to be washed before first use to get the starch out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend suggested "Mawashi in My Washer" so it's tounge twister. 

 

Also the instructions from USA sumo didn't say to wash it unless I just glossed over it. I'm glad I did. It's much softer. 

43 minutes ago, Morning said:

Aren't they made with cotton and come starched and need to be washed before first use to get the starch out?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue with the word play as I press my Mawashi a second time all I can think is "Squashy Mawashi" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the film 'Perseverance' (A Normal Life) that follows the first steps in the sumo career of Kyokutaisei, one of the household chores was to go to the laundrette to wash mawashi, and later you could see the long strips hung out to dry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could also try to fold it and then pound it with sumo's universal tool, the empty beer bottle. This isn't a joke, it will help to make it softer. Furthermore you train your arms...and it trains your aim, if you have to discipline a new recruit somewhen in the future (that's obviously a (bad) joke).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Benihana said:

You could also try to fold it and then pound it with sumo's universal tool, the empty beer bottle. This isn't a joke, it will help to make it softer. Furthermore you train your arms...and it trains your aim, if you have to discipline a new recruit somewhen in the future (that's obviously a (bad) joke).

I used the American sumo equivalent. A bowling ball I had in my closest. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should absolutely wash your brand new mawashi in my opinion. Much more comfortable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now