HappySumo

Should I wash a new Mawashi to soften it

I'm getting conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the forum. I got a new canvas Mawashi and I have folded it and I'm pressing it with weights.

I saw in a JSA video some sumo boil their practice Mawashi to soften them and read in a forum some wash them to soften them. 

The Mawashi I have will be for practice and competition. It is very stiff and seems like it would hurt to wear without bike shorts. 

I appreciate any advice 

6 hours ago, HappySumo said:

I'm getting conflicting information so I thought I'd ask the forum. I got a new canvas Mawashi and I have folded it and I'm pressing it with weights.

I saw in a JSA video some sumo boil their practice Mawashi to soften them and read in a forum some wash them to soften them. 

The Mawashi I have will be for practice and competition. It is very stiff and seems like it would hurt to wear without bike shorts. 

I appreciate any advice 

Can't help you with this one, other than to say that I do wear skins/bike shorts for practice and boy howdy does it help with chafing/mawashi burn!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godango said:

Can't help you with this one, other than to say that I do wear skins/bike shorts for practice and boy howdy does it help with chafing/mawashi burn!

Feeling the material I don't know how you practice without bike shorts. 

I was planning on buying some but I figured there had to be a way to make it softer and saw that video where a wrestler was boiling his new Mawashi. 

1 hour ago, HappySumo said:

Feeling the material I don't know how you practice without bike shorts. 

I was planning on buying some but I figured there had to be a way to make it softer and saw that video where a wrestler was boiling his new Mawashi. 

Yeah I just saw the same video. 30 mins each side it looks like. Interesting. Couldn't do any harm, I guess?

5 hours ago, Godango said:

Yeah I just saw the same video. 30 mins each side it looks like. Interesting. Couldn't do any harm, I guess?

My concern is once I boil or wash it I can't exactly undo it. 

Then again if the pros are doing it then it probably isn't going to be a big problem. 

Tried on the Mawashi for the first time last night. Surprisingly comfortable but I need to figure out how to wear it so I can move easily. It's obviously a challenge to put on by myself. 

I think I'm going to start doing morning training in the Mawashi but I have to build in time to put it on. 

Not as preparation of a new mawashi, but this recent Japanese video from an amateur rikishi/sports trainer shows the process of washing the mawashi, like they clean the boiled new mawashi in the NSK video

The NSK video is advice from Shikoroyama-beya's Tatsutagawa (Homasho) and should be generally applicable, not just as the way they do it at the Shikoroyama-beya

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Not as preparation of a new mawashi, but this recent Japanese video from an amateur rikishi/sports trainer shows the process of washing the mawashi, like they clean the boiled new mawashi in the NSK video

The NSK video is advice from Shikoroyama-beya's Tatsutagawa (Homasho) and should be generally applicable, not just as the way they do it at the Shikoroyama-beya

Thank you. I might boil it tonight. I already folded and pressed it but that probably doesn't matter. 

4 hours ago, HappySumo said:

Mawashi in the Washer would be a good band name. 

"Boiled Mawashi" might be a little more modern and edgy.

• Haha 1

Aren't they made with cotton and come starched and need to be washed before first use to get the starch out?

• Like 1

My friend suggested "Mawashi in My Washer" so it's tounge twister. 

Also the instructions from USA sumo didn't say to wash it unless I just glossed over it. I'm glad I did. It's much softer. 

43 minutes ago, Morning said:

Aren't they made with cotton and come starched and need to be washed before first use to get the starch out?

To continue with the word play as I press my Mawashi a second time all I can think is "Squashy Mawashi" 

• Like 1

In the film 'Perseverance' (A Normal Life) that follows the first steps in the sumo career of Kyokutaisei, one of the household chores was to go to the laundrette to wash mawashi, and later you could see the long strips hung out to dry. 

• Like 1

You could also try to fold it and then pound it with sumo's universal tool, the empty beer bottle. This isn't a joke, it will help to make it softer. Furthermore you train your arms...and it trains your aim, if you have to discipline a new recruit somewhen in the future (that's obviously a (bad) joke).

4 minutes ago, Benihana said:

You could also try to fold it and then pound it with sumo's universal tool, the empty beer bottle. This isn't a joke, it will help to make it softer. Furthermore you train your arms...and it trains your aim, if you have to discipline a new recruit somewhen in the future (that's obviously a (bad) joke).

I used the American sumo equivalent. A bowling ball I had in my closest. 

• Haha 1

You should absolutely wash your brand new mawashi in my opinion. Much more comfortable