HappySumo

Solo drills for Tachi-ai power

4 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I contacted the Director of USA Sumo, Andrew Freund, on his direct line 1-310-617-9641 (a different tel #) and explained your situation.  He told me he grew up in Columbia, MD.   He said offhand he didn't know of a club or organizer in your general area.  However, their organization receives numerous calls from all over the US asking for the very same information.  He offered to try to help you find someone.  He told me that you could either call him at the above tel # OR e-mail him at director@usasumo.com (either way is fine) and he can look through some of the names of the people who have called asking for help.  Maybe he could find someone and then match you up.  I recommend you follow up on this.  I don't know Andrew either but he's always glad to help.

Wishing you good luck in your quest!

'

I appreciate your help and I may email him. 

One last thing --- I found the following information on one of Kintamayama's threads.  This training regimen is very interesting. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tochiazuma has a personal trainer - the trainer of super- featherweight boxing champion Kouji Arizawa, Furukawa Yoshikazu(??). The regimen includes running 4 kilometers of mountain trails a day, climbing 201 stairs, up and down, up and down, while wearing special socks fit for his exercise shoes. "It's really intense. But it will increase my power of endurance. Till now, I did physical strength training stuff that made me stronger, but since 10 days ago, fatigue has made me weak", he said. All morning, he went for degeiko at Musashigawa. In the afternoon he did some "repeated leaping"(反復跳び). It seems he is really going all out and almost abusing his body. Last Nagoya Basho, he was injured in his left shoulder, then his left ring finger. In the past year, he was kadoban thrice. He finally showed a semblance of a comeback with his 10 wins last basho. Now, he feels that in Kyushu, where he clinched the Ozeki berth two years ago, he can begin his tsuna (Yokozuna) run.

2 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

One last thing --- I found the following information on one of Kintamayama's threads.  This training regimen is very interesting. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tochiazuma has a personal trainer - the trainer of super- featherweight boxing champion Kouji Arizawa, Furukawa Yoshikazu(??). The regimen includes running 4 kilometers of mountain trails a day, climbing 201 stairs, up and down, up and down, while wearing special socks fit for his exercise shoes. "It's really intense. But it will increase my power of endurance. Till now, I did physical strength training stuff that made me stronger, but since 10 days ago, fatigue has made me weak", he said. All morning, he went for degeiko at Musashigawa. In the afternoon he did some "repeated leaping"(反復跳). It seems he is really going all out and almost abusing his body. Last Nagoya Basho, he was injured in his left shoulder, then his left ring finger. In the past year, he was kadoban thrice. He finally showed a semblance of a comeback with his 10 wins last basho. Now, he feels that in Kyushu, where he clinched the Ozeki berth two years ago, he can begin his tsuna (Yokozuna) run.

I got finished doing some new leaping drills a bit ago. Squatting down as low as I can with my hands on my head and firing straight up. 

6 sets of 10. A lot of stress on the back and knees so I may need to add a box to land on. 

6 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Here is a photo of Mitakeumi posted by Kintamayama.  The description indicated he was doing "mountain training", keiko in the outdoors.  I don't see any mountains --- looks kind of flat to me!  (See description below).

Mitakeumi did some "mountain training" (keiko in the outdoors) with the "young guys", as the report says. 

Yamageiko is the term, it simply means keiko outdoors, in nature, keiko bouts with others

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Yamageiko is the term, it simply means keiko outdoors, in nature, keiko bouts with others

The more you know 

1 minute ago, Asapedroryu said:

Have you trainned your Henka? It would make your life much easier...

I have to have a backup in case using a Henka every time has some sort of unforseen downside. 

• Haha 1

On 13/10/2021 at 07:09, Asapedroryu said:

Have you trainned your Henka? It would make your life much easier...

OK I made this imagine to reply when you commented but it was too big so I had to run it through photoshop to make it smaller. At any rate a few days late here you go 

20211013_072820.gif

2 hours ago, HappySumo said:

OK I made this imagine to reply when you commented but it was too big so I had to run it through photoshop to make it smaller. At any rate a few days late here you go 

20211013_072820.gif

It's from Baki in case anyone is wondering. YouTube combined my enjoyment of sumo and anime fighting tournaments and fed me this. 

For anyone still following I found a coach who doesn't know sumo but has a pretty good martial arts and wrestling background. At any rate he's going to work with me one on one. 

I'm still working on trying to set up practice matches but no luck so far. I talked to some people from USA sumo but haven't had much luck with in person stuff. 

I tired the exercise at 16:32 hoping up stairs just using calves. It is pretty effective . I have to really focus to not use my quads. I can feel when I do.

I did not however hit a tree with my shoulder to create a rainbow with the dew afterwards. 

Good God!  The upstart rikishi's name is ... Hakuho!  I never knew.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Good God!  The upstart rikishi's name is ... Hakuho!  I never knew.

I enjoy that tidbit.

I also think the story of Harimanada echos the real Hakuho. He is the greatest, he doesn't follow norms, he makes sumo more popular and the JSA hate him for it.

I will say I am a new fan so that read could be completely off base.

I cheat at the beginning with my quads but I drop my butt as I get higher and focus on using only calves. It takes a second for me to trust i can do it. You'll see me miss a step towards the top.

When I'm just using calves you can hear the hops are shorter. 

[Swapped in the longer cut with all the jumps]

Edited by HappySumo
  • Thanks 1

My new coach suggested i wait till my heart rate drops below 100 between sets to work on recovery. So I thought I'd get longer rests but I've also been doing wind sprints. 

This is from a few sets of shiko this morning. Less than 1 minute rest at the beginning.  I was so tired at the end. I did 6 sets of 20.

Screenshot_20211101-084256_Heart Rate Monitor.jpg

I'm finally getting Japanese language sumo training videos in my feed. Despite not understanding what is said other than sumo words, I've learned so much. 

A lot of stuff other martial arts instructors don't know to tell sumo. 

I built a pushing dummy. 400 lbs of sand, a tarp, ratchet strap and a plastic bin. Feels fantastic so far. 

20211107-102333.jpg

I call him Takarfuji

Edited by HappySumo
  • Like 1

20211108-065233.jpg

20211108-065236.jpg%22 

20211108-073735.jpg

20211108-073140.jpg

20211108-075314.jpg

20211108-075319.jpg

Since the proof of concept worked out I cleaned up the dummy. In case anyone else wants to copy me here are my photos 

OK, I'm going to say something stupid, but I'm a SF Yokozuna now, so I'll just go kyujo for a day:

Tachi-ai is the initial charge of the rikishi at the beginning of a bout, yes?

Tachi (in context of recent posts) is a ceremonial sword used by Yokozunæ (and originally by Samurai before ~1300 AD), yes?

1 minute ago, Yamanashi said:

OK, I'm going to say something stupid, but I'm a SF Yokozuna now, so I'll just go kyujo for a day:

Tachi (in context of recent posts) is a ceremonial sword used by Yokozunæ (and originally by Samurai before ~1300 AD), yes?

I'm sure you are correct. I like the wrestling I'm less good with the language. Thanks. I'll see if I can edit the title. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

You know i was just going to make a new post for the dummy called "Do you want to build a sumo " but I figured it fit here better. 

As some have pointed out, the closest thing to a sumo tachiai trainer would be a blocking sled as used in American football.  The problem is that they are sold to institutions (High Schools, Colleges) and the prices are horrific: $2000. at a minimum.

1 minute ago, Yamanashi said:

As some have pointed out, the closest thing to a sumo tachiai trainer would be a blocking sled as used in American football.  The problem is that they are sold to institutions (High Schools, Colleges) and the prices are horrific: $2000. at a minimum.

That's why I built Takarafuji .I spent about $120 all in. We'll see how it holds up.

My coach has me push him around the gym on a dummy and that's a total of 300lbs so this is 100lbs more for flavor. 

• Haha 1