Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

National Student Selection Tournament (2021-10-10)

There's a collegiate tournament coming up in Saitama tomorrow, and I guess it's some sort of makeshift replacement for circuit events that were cancelled earlier in the year; unlike regularly scheduled tournaments this one doesn't even get the courtesy of an "nth edition" marker on the Federation schedule. I'm not sure how long ago the tournament first appeared on there, and in any case it seems to have flown completely under the radar since then - when I googled for the tournament name yesterday, I found exactly two mentions of it all around the internet, both from the Federation website...the HTML and PDF versions of their schedule page. In the last few hours they at least added further information to notify that the event is set to be streamed by them on Youtube. Starts at 10 JST, no idea of the format (just individual or also team, straight knockout or with qualifying rounds).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The group portion just ended, with Kindai taking the yusho with a 4-1 win over Nittaidai. Nittaidai had beaten Nihon 5-0 in the semis, Kindai had beaten Takushoku.

Also of note, is that Daiki Nakamura's win streak ends at 26, as he got overeager and was sidestepped as he went to push out his much smaller Kindai opponent in the finals. Hanada lost in the finals too - first time him and Nakamura have both lost in the same match.

Kindai has a nice team of small but skillful competitors who are good at getting inside and low on their opponents. The current West Japan champion, Yamazaki of Kindai, wasn't even on the team for their victory.

Now let's see what the individual tournament brings.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Individual tournament

Final 4

Kanzaki (Kindai) oshidashi Kawabuchi (Nihon) 

Hanada (NSSU) fusen Choi Jilsen (NSSU) - not sure what happened here as I didn't notice that CJ seemed injured after winning his quarterfinal

Yusho match

Hanada (NSSU) oshidashi Kanzaki (Kindai)

Reigning amateur yokozuna Hidetora Hanada wins the 5th title of his collegiate career, after having been runner-up in the past 2 individual tournaments he competed in. He gets revenge too: Kanzaki beat him in the team final to seal the win for Kindai. Kanzaki won the national Kanazawa tournament 2 years ago, but falls short here in going for his 2nd national title.

Nakamura lost to Kawabuchi in the prelims, after having beaten him in the team semifinals. Kawabuchi is so consistent in performing well, reaching at least the semifinals of nearly every tournament he's in, but just cannot translate his good showings into a yusho. He seems to freeze up a bit when the tournament gets to the final stages. He is someone I'll be pulling for to win a title.

Rookie tournament winner Masao Hanaoaka of Nihon made the best 8, losing to Choi Jilsen.

Honourable mention to NSSU's plucky Kayo, who won all 6 of his team matches and then made it to the best 8 of the individual tournament. He is probably about 5'5 but has excellent footwork and gives 100 percent in his matches - I rather like him!

b1c6cea6.jpg?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another thing to note is that Doshisha has a fairly handy Mongolian. Kinda looks like Azumaryu. I don't know his name but I believe he went to Tottori Johoku for high school. 

He is tall, about 191cm. Good on the belt. He was best 4 at the West Japans and from what I've seen can hold his own with anyone outside the top tier of competitors. Better than the previous Doshisha Mongolian, Arauma. Being that he's Mongolian, I assume he might have some interest in the pros.

The guy on the far right

1C3863D7-6392-444A-8DC1-2FA976839CC4.jpe

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1