Akinomaki

Hakuho intai raw overview

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

a few select pics

new in Japan

4.jpgo 202109280000110-w200_0.jpgo

new in sumo

b_14712802.jpgo

new juryo

20210929-OHT1I51020-N.jpgo

new in makuuchi

b_14713085.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_2.jpgo

first yusho

278d9be750a0365a0c3f02d4b0157e22_3.jpgo

yokozuna

202109280000110-w200_1.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_9.jpgo

to the car from Miyagino-beya to the intai press conference

20210930-OHT1I51282-N.jpgo

records

202109280000122-w200_0.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_1.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_2.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_4.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_5.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_6.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_7.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_8.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_10.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_11.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_12.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_13.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_14.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_15.jpgo

the dump

20210927at69S_t.jpgo 20210927at26S_t.jpgo 20210927at25S_t.jpgo 20210927at27S_t.jpgo 20210927at28S_t.jpgo 20210928ds88_t.jpgo 20210928ds89_t.jpgo 20210928ds90_t.jpgo 20211001at75S_t.jpgo 20211001at76S_t.jpgo 20211001at77S_t.jpgo 202109270000939-w200_0.jpgo 202109270000939-w200_1.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_1.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_2.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_3.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_4.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_5.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_6.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_7.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_8.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_9.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_10.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_25.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_24.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_11.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_12.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_26.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_13.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_14.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_15.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_16.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_17.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_18.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_19.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_20.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_21.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_27.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_22.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_0.jpgo 202109270000827-w200_23.jpgo 202109270000954-w200_4.jpgo 202109270000909-w200_0.jpgo 202109270000795-w200_0.jpgo 202109270000415-w200_1.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_3.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_9.jpgo 202109280000122-w200_16.jpgo 202109280000097-w200_0.jpgo 202109280000097-w200_2.jpgo 202109280000110-w200_0.jpgo 202109280000110-w200_1.jpgo 202109280000110-w200_2.jpgo 202109290000122-w200_0.jpgo 202109290000123-w200_0.jpgo 202109300001229-w200_0.jpgo 202109300001033-w200_0.jpgo 202109300001033-w200_1.jpgo 202109300001033-w200_2.jpgo 202110010000242-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000242-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000242-w200_2.jpgo 202110010000620-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000620-w200_2.jpgo 202110010000613-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000613-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000586-w200_0.jpgo 202110020000091-w200_0.jpgo 202110020000956-w200_1.jpgo 202110010001081-w200_0.jpgo 202110010001081-w200_1.jpgo 202110010001081-w200_2.jpgo 202110010000885-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000885-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000778-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000778-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000774-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000774-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000703-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000703-w200_1.jpgo 202110010000703-w200_2.jpgo 202110010000703-w200_3.jpgo 202110010000670-w200_3.jpgo 202110010000664-w200_0.jpgo 202110010000602-w200_2.jpgo 202110010001279-w200_0.jpgo b_14713859.jpgo b_14712971.jpgo b_14712847.jpgo b_14712802.jpgo b_14713074.jpgo b_14713075.jpgo b_14713085.jpgo b_14714500.jpgo b_14714509.jpgo b_14714510.jpgo b_14714511.jpgo b_14714507.jpgo b_14714506.jpgo b_14714505.jpgo b_14714502.jpgo b_14714503.jpgo b_14716687.jpgo b_14714494.jpgo b_14722062.jpgo b_14723073.jpgo b_14725158.jpgo b_14725090.jpgo b_14725128.jpgo b_14725170.jpgo b_14725169.jpgo b_14724861.jpgo b_14725168.jpgo b_14725167.jpgo b_14726353.jpgo b_14726351.jpgo b_14726355.jpgo b_14726358.jpgo b_14726357.jpgo b_14726359.jpgo b_14726361.jpgo b_14726362.jpgo b_14727017.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo 20210927-OHT1I51001-N.jpgo 20210927-OHT1I51002-N.jpgo 20210927-OHT1I51248-N.jpgo 20210927-OHT1I51249-N.jpgo 20210929-OHT1I51020-N.jpgo 20210929-OHT1I51320-N.jpgo 20210930-OHT1I51297-N.jpgo 20210930-OHT1I51282-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51001-N.jpgo 20210930-OHT1I51357-N.jpgo 20210930-OHT1I51358-N.jpgo 20210930-OHT1I51359-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51210-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51205-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51204-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51184-N.jpgo 20211002-OHT1I51007-N.jpgo 20211002-OHT1I51008-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51321-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51322-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51338-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51339-N.jpgo 20211001-OHT1I51364-N.jpgo 20210927-OYT1I50065-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210927-OYT1I50066-1.jpg?type=mediumo  20210928-OYT1I50017-T.jpg?type=mediumo 20210927-OYT1I50114-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50102-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50104-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50103-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50109-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50105-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50106-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210928-OYT1I50107-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210929-OYT1I50112-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20210930-OYT1I50172-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20211001-OYT1I50110-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20211001-OYTNI50060-1.jpg?type=mediumo 20211001-OYT1I50150-T.jpg?type=mediumo 06bb018b9b3be79d0a13e14b9f6ce7f4-450x422.jpgo 1ce41f82cdf3962c222344ed1c82040e-450x317.jpgo 44b56439a5bf42c936365fe756fa3b81-450x303.jpgo 12e9a45d2c6e13f782d67b0d62fea63a-395x450.jpgo 037ac1a6679231688cd562914f7c283f-1-303x450.jpgo f0fa9f70b6953393b2944e0c04714b7e-330x450.jpgo 7ebae0bdd928cb951d875b990b708a42-369x450.jpgo e15ed052716543d82ff1fe80b1ad5168-326x450.jpgo 41a669ab091a581e4baef37dc261fb75-261x450.jpgo 8520fe620029038bf5018071d5077d92-362x450.jpgo 83a980fa4f1af6d2e0c5090da0cf1c90-450x351.jpgo 8b23064f782bcf7325b3bbe7288ba227-450x292.jpgo 722339a362f992442cf1bf44fb4fd004-447x450.jpgo f0db415f2beb2909de96feed93a10116-450x299.jpgo 05a65cbc76563e0523d72613f3538ca9-331x450.jpgo 1f7af5ef2e80cc163c69d226e8aa70a3-450x338.jpgo 278d9be750a0365a0c3f02d4b0157e22_1.jpgo 278d9be750a0365a0c3f02d4b0157e22_3.jpgo 278d9be750a0365a0c3f02d4b0157e22_4.jpgo d8424bd60c57ce51ce54550d60116eef_1.jpgo 3b2a39b97af940a53fba7840caebeaba_1.jpgo e234a2352b4107a7409dc7cca39c1b29_1.jpgo e234a2352b4107a7409dc7cca39c1b29_2.jpgo 09c8afee-63ec-494f-afc1-fa84f0c0ac1c.jpgo d_14713031.jpgo d_14713030.jpgo d_14713029.jpgo origin_1.jpgo 7000038658_20210927210228_s.jpgo spn2109270001-m1.jpgo spn2109280004-m1.jpgo spn2109280004-m2.jpgo spn2109290002-m1.jpgo spn2110010004-m1.jpgo spn2110020004-m1.jpgo img_72f108894b6e8deac229c201f76551d63280070.jpgo CNTS2021092700109_S.jpgo CNTS2021092700116_S.jpgo news_20210927175113-thumb-645xauto-209837.jpgo img_9872260ebb48d7f3e09b7bc459cae0e051262.jpgo img_3a1de4344e7d88dad878c58dfc97a25590248.jpgo img_8adef57e79ac931a4d413d6dd2a554e290220.jpgo img_16e216c1f76eabacb60ad0f0629bde24139936.jpgo img_661d17db809fdd48377b277ce03587d080551.jpgo img_42e2abdfc4f22f1990c7b884410e53f966145.jpgo b19de0a4fd1c2f9b4418b3e5c78ef903.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Hakuho will play his last honbasho match with huge salt throw (last time was vs Enho in 2020). Thinking about that for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just spent the last hour closely examining these great photos.  Thank you so much, Akinomaki!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't understand the record list that's titled "一人横綱優勝".  While the "yokozuna yusho" part at the end is fairly clear, I don't get the sense that 一人 is taking here such that Hakuho has 19 of them.  The best I can figure is that it means "leading from beginning to end", as there are 16 zensho, and exactly 3 others where he necessarily had to be in the lead the whole time (losing his last 1 or 2 matches after winning 14 or 13 respectively), but I would expect there to be more than just those where he led the entire time.  It could mean precisely those where he won consecutively up to some point, then lost the rest, and won the yusho, but I don't see why that would be interesting.  I can't come up with anything that seems to make much sense.  I hope someone with more experience with these kinds of record listings can tell me what's going on here.

Edited by Gurowake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

I don't understand the record list that's titled "一人横綱優勝".  While the "yokozuna yusho" part at the end is fairly clear, I don't get the sense that 一人 is taking here such that Hakuho has 19 of them.  The best I can figure is that it means "leading from beginning to end", as there are 16 zensho, and exactly 3 others where he necessarily had to be in the lead the whole time (losing his last 1 or 2 matches after winning 14 or 13 respectively), but I would expect there to be more than just those where he led the entire time.  It could mean precisely those where he won consecutively up to some point, then lost the rest, and won the yusho, but I don't see why that would be interesting.  I can't come up with anything that seems to make much sense.  I hope someone with more experience with these kinds of record listings can tell me what's going on here.

You are parsing it incorrectly. 一人横綱 means "lone yokozuna".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

You are parsing it incorrectly. 一人横綱 means "lone yokozuna".

I considered that possibility, but I don't see where he gets 19 of those unless it's something other than only Yokozuna on the banzuke, which doesn't fit - he has less than 19 yusho in that case.  Only Yokozuna not kyujo from the start I haven't looked into, but I don't see the significance of it.  I don't see the significance of him being the only Yokozuna on the banzuke either, but that was at least easy to check since I knew what time periods to look at - going for only Yokozuna in from the start would require looking at each individual tournament' to see if it met the criteria.  I had already looked at a lot of other things it might mean, and wasn't inclined to go digging any further without asking to see if anyone else knew what it meant.

As to significance, I mean, what does being the only Yokozuna on the dohyo have to do with anything with respect to greatness?  Shouldn't the more relevant statistic for greatness be most Yusho with another Yokozuna finishing the tournament? Neither is particularly meaningful compared to all the other ones that were listed.  Yes, it's a possible statistic, but I don't see what value it has.  I'm not Japanese though, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Edited by Gurowake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

 I'm terrible at recognizing people in their younger pictures. So which one is him? (Laughing...)

One was wrong, a Myogiryu pic, I removed it.

Hakuho is on the left

9.jpg

below

202109280000110-w1300_0.jpg 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What about this pic?  Is that Hakuho front center?  It doesn't quite look like him.20210927-OYTNI50048-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

What about this pic?  Is that Hakuho front center?  It doesn't quite look like him.

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

One was wrong, a Myogiryu pic, I removed it.

that was the wrong one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

202109280000110-w200_1.jpg

Who is that accompanying Hakuho when he was promoted to Yokozuna?  Doesn't seem to be Miyagino Oyakata!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

that was the wrong one

The pic I asked about is still up.  It's about halfway down on the right side of my screen.  (A few of the pics you posted were posted twice.  I think that might be the case here.  The duplicate just needs to be removed).  Thanks.

Edit:  The wrong pic is located sort of to the RIGHT of a pic of Hakuho wearing a red/black yukata shaking the hand of a woman who's wearing a black top and grey skirt.  The pic I have just described is located on the LEFT side of the screen.  The pic DIRECTLY to the LEFT of the wrong pic & DIRECTLY BELOW the Hakuho red/black yukata pic shows Hakuho in the ring with a Gyoji wearing a BLUE outfit.  I hope this will help you find it.

Edited by sumojoann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Who is that accompanying Hakuho when he was promoted to Yokozuna?  Doesn't seem to be Miyagino Oyakata!

Kanechika, that oyakata who married into the job, ousted the incumbent Miyagino, rarely attended keiko, and eventually got fired after being arrested for assault.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

The pic I asked about is still up.  It's about halfway down on the right side of my screen.  (A few of the pics you posted were posted twice.  I think that might be the case here.  The duplicate just needs to be removed).  Thanks.

Edit:  The wrong pic is located close to the RIGHT of a pic of Hakuho wearing a red/black yukata shaking the hand of a woman who's wearing a black top and grey skirt.  The pic I have just described is located on the LEFT side of the screen.  I hope this will help you find it.

Thanks, I had only removed it from the select pics, not from the dump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, yohcun said:
37 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Who is that accompanying Hakuho when he was promoted to Yokozuna?  Doesn't seem to be Miyagino Oyakata!

Kanechika, that oyakata who married into the job, ousted the incumbent Miyagino, rarely attended keiko, and eventually got fired after being arrested for assault.

Yeah, managed to be Miyagino-oyakata just at the moment when the one who raised Hakuho should have had his big moment

Edit: actually Kanechika took over shortly after Hakuho entered makuuchi, also at ozeki promotion he had the imposter being by his side - all the time the present Miyagino took care of Hakuho and everybody knew it, Kanechika only spent money http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?kabu=51

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I considered that possibility, but I don't see where he gets 19 of those unless it's something other than only Yokozuna on the banzuke, which doesn't fit - he has less than 19 yusho in that case.  Only Yokozuna not kyujo from the start I haven't looked into, but I don't see the significance of it.  I don't see the significance of him being the only Yokozuna on the banzuke either, but that was at least easy to check since I knew what time periods to look at - going for only Yokozuna in from the start would require looking at each individual tournament' to see if it met the criteria.  I had already looked at a lot of other things it might mean, and wasn't inclined to go digging any further without asking to see if anyone else knew what it meant.

As to significance, I mean, what does being the only Yokozuna on the dohyo have to do with anything with respect to greatness?  Shouldn't the more relevant statistic for greatness be most Yusho with another Yokozuna finishing the tournament? Neither is particularly meaningful compared to all the other ones that were listed.  Yes, it's a possible statistic, but I don't see what value it has.  I'm not Japanese though, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment. It actually seems to be number of yusho where other yokozuna (if any) were kyujo by day 15. I queried for all yusho where Hakuho did not face a yokozuna on day 15: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&day=15&shikona1=Hakuho&rank1=Y&y1=on&rank2=O-M

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:
8 hours ago, Gurowake said:

As to significance, I mean, what does being the only Yokozuna on the dohyo have to do with anything with respect to greatness?  Shouldn't the more relevant statistic for greatness be most Yusho with another Yokozuna finishing the tournament? Neither is particularly meaningful compared to all the other ones that were listed.  Yes, it's a possible statistic, but I don't see what value it has.  I'm not Japanese though, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment. It actually seems to be number of yusho where other yokozuna (if any) were kyujo by day 15. I queried for all yusho where Hakuho did not face a yokozuna on day 15: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&day=15&shikona1=Hakuho&rank1=Y&y1=on&rank2=O-M

That statistic's value only becomes apparent if you bear in mind two other metrics: the number of yusho won, and another, not provided, metric: number of basho without another yokozuna finishing (using Kamitsuumi's query). For the yokozuna mentioned on that list:

  • Hakuho: 19/26, 73%
  • Asashoryu: 18/24, 75%
  • Chiyonofuji: 12/26, 46%
  • Taiho: 4/11, 36%
  • Kitanoumi: 4/13, 30% 
  • Akebono: 4/12, 33%

Since a yokozuna is always expected to be the front runner for a basho, for any basho in which only one yokozuna makes it to day 15, that yokozuna is expected to win the yusho, period. In this respect, Hakuho and Asashoryu are most reliable, as they do it 3/4 of the time that they are that sole yokozuna. Even Chiyonofuji only managed <50%.

This is actually also one stat which the yokozuna's own kyujo doesn't dilute his own results, as by definition he cannot be in contention in a basho for which he is kyujo. Tail-end career fades, at least with another yokozuna present, also don't dilute this too much.

So all in, these numbers basically roughly quantify how truly dominant a yokozuna is against non-yokozuna opponents, or how often he makes good on the default presumption that he is expected to win the yusho - in short, his reliability without supposed competition. When another yokozuna is in the mix, any of them winning is fine, but when there's only one yokozuna, that yokozuna ought to be taking the yusho.

Looking at the other yokozuna on that list, surprisingly Taiho has a pretty bad percentage despite having more yusho than Chiyonofuji, which seems to suggest that Taiho benefited in some part from Kashiwado gatekeeping opponents for him. And Akebono's stat I suspect underestimates his true strength, considering that he was fighting against yokozuna-calibre ozeki in the form of Musashimaru, Takanohana, and Wakanohana.

One last note on Kamitsuumi's query: it returns 16 results for Chiyonofuji. However, 4 of them were when Hokutoumi was active and wouldn't fight Chiyonofuji because of the do-beya rule, resulting in the adjusted 12 yusho that we see in Nikkan's stat above.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
  • Hakuho: 19/26, 73%
  • Asashoryu: 18/24, 75%
  • Chiyonofuji: 12/26, 46%
  • Taiho: 4/11, 36%
  • Kitanoumi: 4/13, 30% 
  • Akebono: 4/12, 33%

Interesting list.  If we are considering domination against non-Yokozuna opponents, then Asashoryu deserves a little (just a little) more praise than Hakuho.  Like you, I was surprised by the poor record in that regard posted by Taiho...  Had he been as dominant when being the lone Yokozuna as he was when having to fight other Yokozunas, he could well have increased his championship total by, say, another 4 yusho!

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Interesting list.  If we are considering domination against non-Yokozuna opponents, then Asashoryu deserves a little (just a little) more praise than Hakuho.  What surprises me is the poor record in that regard posted by Taiho...

The interesting omission from this list, considering his era mate is here, is Takanohana, who managed an absolutely miserly 1/8. And no, that 1 basho was without his brother at yokozuna. That does sort of reinforce, however, that the top end of the banzuke in the 90s' was perhaps more competitive than the sanyaku from 2000s onwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That does sort of reinforce, however, that the top end of the banzuke in the 90s' was perhaps more competitive than the sanyaku from 2000s onwards

Well, the fact that three separate Yokozuna who were active at roughly identical times all got at least 10 yusho suggests that at very least there was less disparity in the quality of Yokozuna compared to Hakuho, and how much more dominant Hakuho was that he co-existed with 3 (and now 4 sorta) others who made Yokozuna, and still managed to win the vast majority of the Yusho.  I really don't like the idea that Hakuho won so many yusho because of weak competition, because if you want to see what weak competition looks like, just look at the current banzuke.  With 3 other eventual Yokozuna during the bulk of his competitive years, along with Asashoryu at the beginning of his career, there clearly was a lot of competition.  If Terunofuji manages 40 straight yusho now to break Hakuho's record while there are no other Yokozuna promoted and very few quality Ozeki, that would be a fair place to say the competition was weak.  Similarly, one could point to Asashoryu's time as Yokozuna as one of weak competition until Hakuho came along.  But Hakuho having weak competition seems just plain wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gurowake said:

Well, the fact that three separate Yokozuna who were active at roughly identical times all got at least 10 yusho suggests that at very least there was less disparity in the quality of Yokozuna compared to Hakuho, and how much more dominant Hakuho was that he co-existed with 3 (and now 4 sorta) others who made Yokozuna, and still managed to win the vast majority of the Yusho.  I really don't like the idea that Hakuho won so many yusho because of weak competition, because if you want to see what weak competition looks like, just look at the current banzuke.  With 3 other eventual Yokozuna during the bulk of his competitive years, along with Asashoryu at the beginning of his career, there clearly was a lot of competition.  If Terunofuji manages 40 straight yusho now to break Hakuho's record while there are no other Yokozuna promoted and very few quality Ozeki, that would be a fair place to say the competition was weak.  Similarly, one could point to Asashoryu's time as Yokozuna as one of weak competition until Hakuho came along.  But Hakuho having weak competition seems just plain wrong

Well, strength is relative, and so is a statement about quality or parity of competition. IMO any of Hakuho's co-yokozuna could have been a dai yokozuna in any other age. But Hakuho being so strong means the competition looks way weak in comparison to him. That indicator of strength is of relative strength to the rest of the banzuke rather than an absolute statement about the power of rikishi in question. In contrast, Akebono and the Hanada Brothers (sounds like a bad band name, but eh) were much more closely matched, not to mention the presence of other strong ozeki like Musashimaru, Musoyama, and Takanonami.

That disparity might have led to some statements by famously grumpy ex rikishi about Hakuho not getting as much yusho in other era, but it's the wrong way round - he would have eaten up the competition in those eras too, probably.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

That statistic's value only becomes apparent if you bear in mind two other metrics: the number of yusho won, and another, not provided, metric: number of basho without another yokozuna finishing (using Kamitsuumi's query).

At Kyushu 2016, Hakuho, Harumafuji, and Kakuryu all finished, with Kakuryu taking a 14-1 yusho and the other two finishing 11-4. Hakuho did not face either yokozuna on day 15 because he was ranked Y2e and so faced O1e Goeido, with the other two yokozuna facing off. I believe this query misses it (and potentially other basho like it, though this is one of only 3 times Hakuho was Y2).

Edited by Reonito
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yohcun said:

Kanechika, that oyakata who married into the job, ousted the incumbent Miyagino, rarely attended keiko, and eventually got fired after being arrested for assault.

I remembered he was fired for match fixing but apparently he only lost stablemaster position for it and was fired for assault later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TakanohanaFan said:

I remembered he was fired for match fixing but apparently he only lost stablemaster position for it and was fired for assault later.

He managed to claim that he was discussing a hypothetical situation or talking nonsense, which saved his job as an oyakata but not as shisho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

He managed to claim that he was discussing a hypothetical situation or talking nonsense, which saved his job as an oyakata but not as shisho.

Boo, he clearly was buying matches. Apparently other oyakata were against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now