Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Retirees after Aki 2021

Via Nikkan in the absence of official Kyokai communication so far.

13 retirements have been announced, including those already effective at an earlier date by former sekitori Sagatsukasa and Ryuko, but not Hakuho's yet. The other 11:

Ayanoumi (Yamahibiki)
Genki (Onomatsu)
Tosaeizan (Onomatsu)
Kaibusho (Asakayama) - link
Kotokogyoku (Sadogatake)
Aishoryu (Onomatsu)
Azumahikari (Tamanoi)
Shuneikai (Shikoroyama)
Sadanoryu (Sakaigawa)
Shonanzakura (Shikihide) - link
Sano (Asakayama) banzuke-gai

Kotokogyoku was the only active rikishi among these in Aki basho and went out with a 4-3 kachikoshi. Shuneikai only changed his shikona from Onagaya ahead of the Nagoya tournament but sat out both that one and Aki, and so he never got to fight under the new name.

Undersized Genki had made some early waves under his real name of Takemasa, KK'ing in his first seven tournaments to go up all the way to the single-digit makushita ranks, but the wall hit hard and afterwards he seemed to be picking up injuries (at least I seem to recall him quite bandaged at various times) that precluded further advancement.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

That sucks about Ryuko - only 23 and sekitori material when healthy. His younger brother Ryusho is currently in his first year at Nihon University and has said he wants to join ozumo after graduation.

Genki aka Takemasa was a skillful little guy who came from Saitama Sakae High and then did collegiate sumo. Never quite had the stuff for sekitorihood, too easily overwhelmed by stronger opposition, but at his best was respectable Ms10 material and pretty enjoyable to watch.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3

DB note for @Doitsuyama: As Ryuko's intai was posted on Day 14, his yasumi end officially after 13 days (still with an 0-0-7 record though).

• Thanks 1

Aw, man. I really enjoyed Genki.

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

That sucks about Ryuko - only 23 and sekitori material when healthy. His younger brother Ryusho is currently in his first year at Nihon University and has said he wants to join ozumo after graduation.

Genki aka Takemasa was a skillful little guy who came from Saitama Sakae High and then did collegiate sumo. Never quite had the stuff for sekitorihood, too easily overwhelmed by stronger opposition, but at his best was respectable Ms10 material and pretty enjoyable to watch.

Genki was a little firecracker.  It looked like he was climbing back into upper Makushita again at the beginning of 2021, when he got hit with injuries again.  And of course his shikona sounded like a talisman (but for all I know, he liked the Warring States period, or turtles ... ).  @mikawa mentioned him in a University banzuke list back in 2016 (M5) when he was at Meiji U.

Onomatsu-beya kindly provides pictures from the danpatsu-shiki of their three retirees.

As noted by other posters, Genki made a good start to his career and looked set to be a fixture of the upper-Makushita proving grounds, only for a retinal detachment to set him back a bit. He recovered from that, but recently he was struggling with a neck injury.

Spoiler

OA8NZIig_o.jpg

3YW9Mjbq_o.jpg

6M6fY6Mx_o.jpg

0ycE9rsE_o.jpg

Greeting his stablemates after a proper haircut and a change of clothes.

UFy72Uxu_o.jpg

Ogawa-sensei, Genki's former coach at Meiji University, makes a speech.

gUOFnrUJ_o.jpg

vqy8NWhU_o.jpg

c63xDRyH_o.jpg

Two shots for Tosaeizan's danpatsu-shiki. His shikona was suggested by coach Yamada from Saitama Sakae, honouring both the school and Kochi prefecture (formerly Tosa province).

Spoiler

qwHtHeoR_o.jpg

6f9FPY39_o.jpg

Aishoryu had a chonmage for his danpatsu-shiki, I suppose his hair wasn't quite long enough for an oichomage, having joined the heya in March last year. His shikona was coined by coach Maeno from the sumo club of Shoyo Junior High School in his hometown of Takasago, Hyogo. Only one picture from his danpatsu-shiki, Onomatsu-oyakata (former Maegashira Daido) making the cut.

Spoiler

JtRmv9zl_o.jpg

Before I forget, Kihonoumi retired in November last year after nearly 21 years in ozumo, but his danpatsu-shiki took place locally in May, during the Natsu basho. As the current Dewanoumi was occupied there, his predecessor (former Sekiwake Washuyama) stepped in to make the final cut. Rather than drag up the old intai thread, I'll add the three pictures here.

Spoiler

2tpiwebd_o.jpg

4oxPK7re_o.jpg

vl7UzEUE_o.jpg

13 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Shuneikai only changed his shikona from Onagaya ahead of the Nagoya tournament but sat out both that one and Aki, and so he never got to fight under the new name.

Doing the opposite of his brother, who reverted to his family name for his final basho which he sat out.

Speaking of brothers, I had forgotten until now that Sadanoryu is the younger brother of Dekiyama-oyakata (former Maegashira Sadanofuji).

One final note, Tagonoura-beya's Jonokuchi yobidashi Yuta has also retired after just over two years in the job.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for this continuing service, which I look forward to after every basho.  It gives a sense of closure, and a sense of moving on to the next stage in a hopefully long life for these men.

• Like 3

On 29/09/2021 at 23:11, Yubinhaad said:

Speaking of brothers, I had forgotten until now that Sadanoryu is the younger brother of Dekiyama-oyakata (former Maegashira Sadanofuji).

He was also a bit of a fun watch for trainspotters given that he made his debut as Obamaumi for Hatsu 2009, rather like another Obama who also debuted in his role in January 2009. However, Sadanoryu's Obama was geographically inspired. Had he changed his shikona in 2017 (rather than 2019) when the other Obama departed, perhaps that would have really raised eyebrows!

Not sure if this belongs here or it should be moved to a new Kyushu retirees thread, but Herouth reports (according to an Okinawa paper that is paywalled) that Toma, Hakuho's oversize deshi, has retired.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If true, that kind of breaks my heart. I followed his sumo in Okinawa as I could, and saw the pride the islanders showed in him. He vanished from my radar for a couple years then reappeared at Miyagino. I was kind of disappointed with his performance, but he just got too big. 

• Sad 1

Massively overweight for years + underdeveloped skills from having relied entirely on size when younger = always had his work cut out for him in ozumo. He at least had a respectable first year before things went south.

• Like 2

I saw a little documentary piece on him when his team won a national team sumo tournament when he was in middle school, and it showed an interview with his dad while Toma was eating rather aggressively. They seemed to believe size was the most important thing, but I would argue it's not that important. Few makuuchi wrestlers are as chunky as him.

I remember when Hakuho recruited him, he told him the first thing to do was lose some weight. Maybe he actually did, I don't have the numbers.

Hakuho did change his mind about Enho gaining weight, but Toma wasn't putting up Enho results.

He did lose some, I remember several of us on the forum remarking he looked visibly smaller maybe six months into his career. 

It's just a bummer to follow a kid and have them go out like this. I just hope he's healthy and moves on to his next thing. 

There's still hope for Tanakayama, in terms of kids I've followed over the years.

Edited by Churaumi
Wow that last line sounds creepy but every other way I tried seems worse
  • Haha 2

Toma will probably end up in the Kyushu thread if he is on the Kyushu banzuke. Intai right before basho while few aren't really uncommon.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, yohcun said:

I remember when Hakuho recruited him, he told him the first thing to do was lose some weight. Maybe he actually did, I don't have the numbers.

Hakuho did change his mind about Enho gaining weight, but Toma wasn't putting up Enho results.

This is off the top of my head but he was ~210kg at the beginning of his career and ~180kg at the end of it.