Asashosakari

New Juryo for Kyushu 2021

On 29/09/2021 at 07:56, Kintamayama said:

Asanowaka on his new shikona, taken after coach Wakamatsu Oyakata who was Asanowaka when we were younger- Terasawa was injury-prone, ex-Asanowaka never missed a day in his 80 basho career. "He was famous for going all out and was never injured, so I decided to assume that shikona. I feel very happy, and I feel I shall gambarize from here on," he said.  He was injured in 2018 in his first Jonokuchi basho and dropped off the banzuke entirely. "I was in a bad place mentally and physically and couldn't even think about doing sumo. But with a little help from my Oyakata and other rikishi, I made it back. I just want to get a kachikoshi without getting injured.," he summed.

It's a nice shikona in itself, but it's gonna be a little hard to shake off the image of the old Asanowaka, who always seemed to me as bit of a clown.

29 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

It's a nice shikona in itself, but it's gonna be a little hard to shake off the image of the old Asanowaka, who always seemed to me as bit of a clown.

Judging by his and Asakishin's hijinks, you think he's any less of one? 

38 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

Yes, but who remembers that..

asamoti.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

asamoti.jpg

You are right, no one does.

Edit: for the record, there were several people in the thread who said that they liked Asanowaka. (Whistling...)

Edited by Kashunowaka

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

asamoti.jpg

Wish you can go to Japan again and take picture with current Asanowaka ;-)

On 29/09/2021 at 05:11, Gurowake said:

So I guess this is very good evidence that they (at least, this basho) draw up the banzuke immediately, and it just doesn't get ratified until Wednesday.  There was certainly enough time for them to put together the banzuke if they were so inclined, and probably didn't want to throw it away when Hakuho suddenly retired.  My guess is that they will list Hakuho, since he's not having a disciplinary-related retirement.  At least, since we're going to have to submit 42 names for GTB, that's the obvious thing to do there.

I rather thought it's not about disciplinary-related incidents here, but about not listing a person twice on the banzuke and he will be listed as Magaki. Obviously Sokokurai got listed twice but as was said already, Makushita is different from Makuuchi and especially Yokozuna.

9 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

You are right, no one does.

Edit: for the record, there were several people in the thread who said that they liked Asanowaka. (Whistling...)

I love when these necro threads are pulled up, seeing the names of the posters in them... Mark Buckton, now there's a blast from the past!

I noticed ex-mod Manekineko, who was obviously not aroound since the end of 2018. I probably missed something and I hope it's no tragedy.

2 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

I noticed ex-mod Manekineko, who was obviously not aroound since the end of 2018. I probably missed something and I hope it's no tragedy.

She let us know she is leaving and said goodbye officially. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Sounds like he would have been a fun to watch rikishi, this Asanowaka guy.

There are some videos on the db.  Interesting ... he seems to have little pushing power, and he does hit 'n' shift a lot when he wins.

I was astonished to find that he had 273 oshi-type wins and 224 slap/pull wins (hikio,hataki, tsukio) -- but only 6 (yes, six) wins in his career by yorikiri.

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I was astonished to find that he had 273 oshi-type wins and 224 slap/pull wins (hikio,hataki, tsukio) -- but only 6 (yes, six) wins in his career by yorikiri.

I am astonished that he had as much as 6.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Frog tachiai.

His salt-throwing routine was quite amusing too. 

Asanowaka

202109290000181-w200_0.jpgo20210929-OHT1I51178-N.jpgo

with Takasago

20210929at45S_t.jpgo  cfd461007b1b03bdfb810dd1af25d234-450x265.jpgo

with the governor of Niigata on the 1st

20211001-OYTNI50039-1.jpg?type=mediumo

img_200af7a0e277e0e521f06bc5506231e536010.jpgo

Hiradoumi

202109290000266-w200_0.jpgo 4.jpgo 202109290000266-w200_2.jpgo   

with Sakaigawa

202109290000266-w200_1.jpgo 20210929-OHT1I51119-N.jpgo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hiradoumi

4.jpgo 202109290000266-w200_2.jpgo   202109290000266-w200_1.jpgo 20210929-OHT1I51119-N.jpgo

Wow. Put some glasses on him and he looks like a young Nishikigi

That'll give me a reason to look forward to their matchup next basho...

On 02/10/2021 at 01:47, sahaven111 said:

He was.

There were several 'characters' back then. I am not sure if there are so many these days. But that might be a generational thing, as I also think that other 'sports' such as tennis, snooker and cricket have fewer characters now then when I was much younger.