Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Is this the worst Ozumo career ever?

No. He didn't stick around long enough to be genuinely awful. Shonanzakura still takes the title.

40 minutes ago, Asojima said:
51 minutes ago, Morning said:

What does Bg stand for?

Big Goofball.

Quite apt in this case, but it means banzuke-gai: which means the next time you want to participate in a honbasho, you have to do maezumo again.

1 hour ago, Sue said:

No. He didn't stick around long enough to be genuinely awful. Shonanzakura still takes the title.

In terms of win percentage though, even Shonanzakura is still technically infinitely better than him. And it's worth noting even his only loss was a fusen, with a 0-0 record in maezumo, which means the guy might have never even stepped on a honbasho dohyo ever. Someone who took the shindeshi kensa, but got cold feet (or worse) at the heya?

Edited by Seiyashi

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Quite apt in this case, but it means banzuke-gai: which means the next time you want to participate in a honbasho, you have to do maezumo again.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

In terms of win percentage though, even Shonanzakura is still technically infinitely better than him. And it's worth noting even his only loss was a fusen, with a 0-0 record in maezumo, which means the guy might have never even stepped on a honbasho dohyo ever. Someone who took the shindeshi kensa, but got cold feet (or worse) at the heya?

Right, which makes him a non-participant, not a participant who participated badly.

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

I like to think of this rikishi as a successful failure - he was never demoted until he dropped off the banzuke.

1) I had to check that the birthday wasn't the same as this guy, who played the hapless son in The Taste of Tea.  It would have been spot-on if he had.

https://asianwiki.com/Takahiro_Sato

2) As you pointed out, maybe the kid was fooled by the Miracle of Jonokuchi: despite never winning a bout, his rank went up for four consecutive basho.

12 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I remember this guy. My memory is of a stick thin schoolkid-sized rikishi  whose bouts could best be characterised as running away and sitting down as quickly as possible to avoid being hurt. (Don't mistake me, I wouldn't be much better...)

23 hours ago, Jejima said:

He *lost* 8kgs during his year in sumo. (Eek...)

Why not? Why is this surprising?

Lower levels -> alot of training for basics and technique 

higher levels -> getting weight

So he entered the sumo world and had a lot to train in the frist place...

I did some random research, and sure enough, some rikishi lose weight in their first year of sumo. But, if you check the current Makunouchi lot - for those that have regular weight records, it would appear that it is normal to put on weight in your first year, if you are eventually headed to the top division.  

2 hours ago, Jejima said:

But, if you check the current Makunouchi lot - for those that have regular weight records,

I apologize, but was that a pun?

27 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I apologize, but was that a pun?

I don't think so.....

I had a look at the starting weights of various rikishi currently in Makunouchi and their weights after a year-ish, and the ones for which such records are available all seemed to have put on weight in their first year....

2 hours ago, Jejima said:

I don't think so.....

I had a look at the starting weights of various rikishi currently in Makunouchi and their weights after a year-ish, and the ones for which such records are available all seemed to have put on weight in their first year....

I thought Makunouchi is a type of bento.

On 25/09/2021 at 19:50, Seiyashi said:

And it's worth noting even his only loss was a fusen, with a 0-0 record in maezumo, which means the guy might have never even stepped on a honbasho dohyo ever. Someone who took the shindeshi kensa, but got cold feet (or worse) at the heya?

No, that's just a rikishi from an era for which maezumo results aren't available. He wouldn't have been ranked as a non-participant. (That happened in the very same basho, in fact.)

7 hours ago, Jejima said:

I did some random research, and sure enough, some rikishi lose weight in their first year of sumo. But, if you check the current Makunouchi lot - for those that have regular weight records, it would appear that it is normal to put on weight in your first year, if you are eventually headed to the top division.  

Well yeah, because those come in as athletically talented rookies with a physique to match. It's out of shape no-hopers who lose weight (= fat) in their first couple of years, but you won't find those by looking at future sekitori for obvious reasons.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I thought Makunouchi is a type of bento.

It's the written out name of the top division which is usually shortened to makuuchi omitting the no between the kanji. The bento has the same name. 

Edited by Morning
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Morning said:

It's the written out name of the top division which is usually shortened to makuuchi omitting the no between the kanji.

Jejima is the only person who seems to type it all out.  He must like typing.

2 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Jejima is the only person who seems to type it all out.  He must like typing.

Well, that's too bad.  I thought using a bento style when talking about losing/gaining weight was 4D level stuff.

• Haha 1