Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

That, and his hips are still too high even allowing for his lankier build. Not an auspicious start for Hokuseiho, who probably hasn't gotten representative training against rikishi if Ishiura and Enho are his only sparring partners, but he'll have done well to carve out an 8-7 by the end of this basho.

And speaking of Enho, Hokuseiho's not the only one having trouble getting belts, although it was definitely a lot worse for Enho considering the size advantage and negligible speed difference that Hakuyozan has.

Hokuseiho looked absolutely pathetic and clueless.  For all those claiming he's the great hope, I'd be amazed if he goes much higher in juryo.  Gawky, no technique and cumbersome.

Swami

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Unfathomable mono-ii decisions.

The sole monoii in the Top Division today was that for the match between Takayasu and Endo.  The torinaoshi redo sort of (?) made sense since Endo managed to defy gravity and stay off the ground long enough to see Takayasu step out first ... furthermore, there was plenty to time on the clock for the judges to play with.  Granted, Takayasu was in the process of executing a tsukiotoshi thrust down, and Endo was technically already in the air falling, but Endo deserved credit for resisting the urge to let his forearm drop.  

And Takayasu won the rematch, so ... no harm, no foul (?)

The monoii decision down in Juryo, however, is anyone's guess!

Edited by Amamaniac

43 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Can anyone tell me how Ryuden looked in his win today?

It looks quite possible that he will face Akiseyama next, which would be fun.

To me he looked very cautious (quite understandable for it's his first honbasho bout in quite some time) but very much in control.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Very dominant performance from Hoshoryu. Hand on the belt and boom, uwatenage shitatenage's your uncle.

No, his uncle is way meaner than shitatenage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, day 1 has come and gone. 

Down in Jonidan, Reonmaru is up to 196kg from 182 in September. Color me impressed with this kind of single-minded and purposeful gluttony. Shows dedication. Or perhaps just a love of carbs and sucrose.

Watching Hokuseiho in a silk mawashi reminded me of watching a young Akebono. His frame and movements, the gangly long arms and legs. He has a very similar body type, which makes me think he has potential just because of these physical similarities (although I know Akebono's long legs and high center of gravity were ultimately his undoing). Mentoring from Hakuho won't hurt, either.

Ura's ashitori against Tamawashi was textbook.

Hoshoryu looked great with the shitatenage vs Shimanoumi. If he can fight like that every day, we'll have a serious contender in short order.

Daieisho looking more Ozeki-like than Shodai, but this is not surprising to most of us, I suspect.

Bit of a rough day, literally, for the gyojis, wasn't it?

Hakkioi!

• Like 2

Pedestrian first half to Makuuchi, then it got good in the second half. Not one but two gyoji stacks, including Chiyoshoma trying to kill Konosuke, Ura's ashitori, a torinaoshi, and a couple of really nice technical bouts towards the end. Abi looks to have put on weight since he was last in the top flight. Glad to have sumo back.

Very strange seeing Hokutofuji fight so early in the day. He hasn't been down in the double-digit ranks since July 2018!

Lots of gyoji falling today, with Chiyoshoma bowling Kotoeko into one and Takayasu beating the gyoji in his first bout with ushiromotare.

Kiribayama looked pretty decent against the Yokozuna today. Terunofuji had to do something a bit unorthodox to get the win there.

Edited by Eikokurai

Yay we have a basho!

Takayasu started excellent, 3-0 on day 1. Ushiromotare vs gyoji (Kimura something, sorry not familiar), and 2 wins vs Endo.

Terunofuji beat Kiribayama by kintamasukui.

And this new guy Magaki made a perfect debut. No irregularities whatsoever on the hanamichi, all secure.

• Haha 4

It seems like the fighting spirit is very high in this tournament. Looks like the wrestlers are going all out.

Sorry to repeat myself, but does anyone have an explanation as to WTF Tamawashi was doing at the tachiai today? I can think of two charitable explanations: 1) he was expecting a matta; 2) he knows that Ura is a tricksy hobbit and was being ultra-cautious.

It looked shockingly bad... like "I may be the most feared and dangerous badass rikishi since the GOAT retired but today I'll just stand up and wave my arms about for a bit. Please grab my leg".

I thought the best match was Ichinojo vs Okinoumi. Ichi got the right hand grip but knew he couldn't take liberties with a master technician, so he kept fishing with the left hand until he finally got a bite.

17 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Sorry to repeat myself, but does anyone have an explanation as to WTF Tamawashi was doing at the tachiai today? I can think of two charitable explanations: 1) he was expecting a matta; 2) he knows that Ura is a tricksy hobbit and was being ultra-cautious.

It looked shockingly bad... like "I may be the most feared and dangerous badass rikishi since the GOAT retired but today I'll just stand up and wave my arms about for a bit. Please grab my leg".

I thought the best match was Ichinojo vs Okinoumi. Ichi got the right hand grip but knew he couldn't take liberties with a master technician, so he kept fishing with the left hand until he finally got a bite.

Not to knock Ura but that was very weird. Tamawashi looked extremely rusty. Like he hadn't wrestled in a year. Ichi did a heck of a job. 

Takakesiho looked okay too. He should have pushed Waka straight out given that tachi-ai but he held it together and still got the win which is a good sign for him. 

Edited by Rocks

26 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

In my opinion. Ura set him up. It was a beautiful fient to the face and attack the leg. I don't think you couldn't do it better in practice. 

Tamawashi looks bad because Ura made him look bad.

This video below shows the exact same set up. 

Edited by HappySumo
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

NHK just flashed a shot of Hakuho doing security duties. Even the GOAT must start again from the bottom.

He looked like he wanted to get out there so bad.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

The sole monoii in the Top Division today was that for the match between Takayasu and Endo.  The torinaoshi redo sort of (?) made sense since Endo managed to defy gravity and stay off the ground long enough to see Takayasu step out first ... furthermore, there was plenty to time on the clock for the judges to play with.  Granted, Takayasu was in the process of executing a tsukiotoshi thrust down, and Endo was technically already in the air falling, but Endo deserved credit for resisting the urge to let his forearm drop.  

And Takayasu won the rematch, so ... no harm, no foul (?)

The monoii decision down in Juryo, however, is anyone's guess!

Maybe it's not the decision itself (a torinaoshi is extra sumo - yay!) so much as the process of arriving at it. I can never figure out whether or how the 'dead body rule' will be applied.

8 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I think you’ve answered your own question! It just looked like the same sort of cautious tachiai we’ve seen from many rikishi before when they face the leg-technique or henka guys like Ura, Enho and Terutsuyoshi. I didn’t find it all that unusual, tbh.

• Like 1

November (Kyushu) Basho Links and statistics blog. Day 1 complete. Results, match articles, videos, photos, kimarite breakdown, time analysis, top rank performance, maegashira v san'yaku, and more.

Note that JSA youtube published a video of Hokuseihu's first match in Juryo today. Sound but no commentary. Excellent camera angle. It is linked to (along with some background of both Rikishi) in the Day 1 blog post. Welcome to the big time, kid. 

Day 1 blog post

10 hours ago, Yamanashi said:
18 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

NHK just flashed a shot of Hakuho doing security duties. Even the GOAT must start again from the bottom.

He looked like he wanted to get out there so bad.

"Call that a tachiai? Come on, let me show them how it's done, pleeaaaaaaaaasssseeee?"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Maybe it's not the decision itself (a torinaoshi is extra sumo - yay!) so much as the process of arriving at it. I can never figure out whether or how the 'dead body rule' will be applied.

I've always felt it seems more post-hoc justification than legitimate rule application. It applies when it achieves the desired result, and it sure won't stand in the way if the gunbai pointed the way the MIB wanted. Not that I mind a bit of discretion, but I feel like calling it a "rule" might oversell it a bit. 

OMG, Hokuseiho has withdrawn after losing the first day bout in his much anticipated Juryo debut.  Talk about anticlimax!!!

Hope he bounces back in 2022! 

At last, Enho shows fans what they want to see!  Small-man wins are so exciting because (a) they are unexpected, and (b) they often come out of difficult situations as in this case against Azumaryu...