Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’d count his 10-5 > 11-4 in March and July of last year too. The 10-5 was at M3e which would have been close enough to be counted if the third basho was decent.

Fair enough, I limited my search to when he was ranked san'yaku. IMO 9+ win san'yaku (or upper maegashira) basho are too common to count them as starts of runs, even though they may end up being such in retrospect.

I would only count any two basho where the rikishi had at least 20 wins in the previous tournament and was in sanyaku for both.  If not in sanyaku for both, add one win per tournament as such (assuming still a full joi schedule).  That would leave us the two tournaments following the first Yusho, the tournament following the second Yusho, Aki 2020 coming off 10-11, and now.  I note how each of the runs seems in some way weaker to the one before.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’d count his 10-5 > 11-4 in March and July of last year too. The 10-5 was at M3e which would have been close enough to be counted if the third basho was decent. And tbh, we can count any time he scored a 9-6 or 10-5, as it could feasibly have been the first basho in a run. His 10-5 at Komusubi just in May could have started one.

Treating a single basho as a countable ozeki run is pretty silly unless it's a truly exceptional result. It's a run when there's an actual possibility that the next score can result in promotion. A single 9-6 or 10-5 does nothing of the sort.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Treating a single basho as a countable ozeki run is pretty silly unless it's a truly exceptional result. It's a run when there's an actual possibility that the next score can result in promotion. A single 9-6 or 10-5 does nothing of the sort.

I’ll rephrase: Given Mitakeumi’s obvious talent and potential, anytime he scores a minimum of 9-6 there is discussion about whether he can build it into an Ozeki run, and then the disappointment when he follows it up with an underwhelming 8-7. This is what I mean. Mitakeumi specific.

Those are pretty short discussions nowadays, as far as I can tell. I'd be inclined to apply the "pretty silly" descriptor to them, too, inasmuch as they're actually happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Did I miss something or did they skip the pre-basho weigh-in?

They had one before the Aki basho

Another pic with the birthday of Hokuseiho, I don't think they do it every basho

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 04:13, Eikokurai said:

I’ll rephrase: Given Mitakeumi’s obvious talent and potential, anytime he scores a minimum of 9-6 there is discussion about whether he can build it into an Ozeki run, and then the disappointment when he follows it up with an underwhelming 8-7. This is what I mean. Mitakeumi specific.

I would question the use of the word "potential"... The problem for me is that I don't think that Mitakeumi has improved much in the last five years. In 2017 he beat Hakuho, Harumafuji (twice) and Kakuryu (twice).  I don't think he's really shown that kind of form recently: he looks slow and passive and appears pretty clueless every time he faces Terunofuji. As far as ozeki contenders are concerned, if he's the best we've got we are in big trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I would question the use of the word "potential"... The problem for me is that I don't think that Mitakeumi has improved much in the last five years. In 2017 he beat Hakuho, Harumafuji (twice) and Kakuryu (twice).  I don't think he's really shown that kind of form recently: he looks slow and passive and appears pretty clueless every time he faces Terunofuji. As far as ozeki contenders are concerned, if he's the best we've got we are in big trouble.

He got second-most wins for the year, and had the second best record against yokozuna and ozeki opponents of anyone who's faced them regularly. He is, and we are.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I'm not going to disagree, but, as I've said before, Mitakeumi's problem is that he's doing Ozeki-level sumo without the crucial step of making Ozeki.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

They had one before the Aki basho

Another pic with the birthday of Hokuseiho, I don't think they do it every basho

Thanks. The reason I asked was because I always update my own database on banzuke day or shortly after with the sekitori heights and weights and then some time before the basho with the lower division heights and weights. This time NONE of the rikishi heights and weights had changed. I tried again just after the basho and still no changes.

Perhaps I should try again but I find it a very strange situation.

Kyushu--November 2021 Basho--Links and Statistics Report--SUMMARY

Latest Chris Sumo videos (Top 10 earners 2021, Terunofuji, Shohozan, Hakuho assesses his former rivals).

Terunofuji--video links to each of his matches, his Kimarite summary, his time of match summary, other Division winners with links to videos of their championship winning matches (all available except the Jonidan playoff), special prize winners, Number of Kimarite as % of total wins (for Rikishi with 10 or more wins, Kimarite Cumulative statistics (November and September), Time of match statistics (cumulative and matches by time (November, September, July, May), KK/MK, Top Rank Performance, Maegashira v san'yaku, Juryo substitutes.

Complete index  of linked videos and photos day by day. 

Kyushu--November 2021 Basho--Links and Statistics Report--SUMMARY

Upcoming: 2021 Win sort for all Rikishi who participated in Makuuchi Basho in 2021. 

Enjoy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

With Mitakeumi is always the same feeling, or he's just like a bulldozer, or he gives up really fast, kinda Ichinojo in some way. 

Here's some info on "Mitakeumi the second week dud."

There's some truth to it.  I've compiled his wins on each basho day since he broke into Makuuchi (36 basho); a summary broken down into 3-day increments.

Winning percentage:

day 1-3  72.2

day 4-6  57.4

day 7-9  50.9

day 10-12  45.4

day 13-15  62.0

If the comments about his slack pre-basho prep are true, it seems to show up in his record.  Still, most of these numbers are above 50%, and he has 8.64 wins per basho over that time.  Yeah, I get that the second week is "meet the top rankers", but his decline begins on day 4 with a 20% drop from day 3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Yeah, I get that the second week is "meet the top rankers", but his decline begins on day 4 with a 20% drop from day 3.

Yet I have the impression he doesn't do all that badly against the top rankers, generally. And there's a distinction between the joi of the Kise era and now. I wonder if his performance has actually improved somewhat ever since the changing of the guard. 

16 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Yet I have the impression he doesn't do all that badly against the top rankers, generally. And there's a distinction between the joi of the Kise era and now. I wonder if his performance has actually improved somewhat ever since the changing of the guard. 

Yeah take a look at his schedule back in those days!

16 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

It's difficult for me to put hard numbers together on that; he hit Makuuchi in 11/2015 and Kisenosato was injured in 5/2017, so there's not much data to gnaw on.

He's "underwater" to a surprising list of opponents:

Expected:

Hakuho (4-12)

Kisenosato (2-6)

Terunofuji (4-12)

Mild surprise:

Takayasu (8-19)

Wut?:

Ryuden (1-5)

Kaisei (1-7).

I will check on the "old joi vs new joi" matter if time permits.

24 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Wut?:

Ryuden (1-5)

Kaisei (1-7).

Belt guys...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reonito said:
11 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Wut?:

Ryuden (1-5)

Kaisei (1-7).

Belt guys...