Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

Ura is cool. He's something different, and, using a style that works best for his attributes, he consistently produces some of the most memorable kimarite and out of nowhere wins; he's had dozens of entertaining matches with big comebacks and momentum shifts. He is not some bottom ranking gimmick and is performing at high maegashira level. His attitude is unassuming and he never carries any ill will towards opponents (although yes, he sometimes has weird mannerisms). He came back from the bottom and 2 major setbacks. I like all that.

I was slightly annoyed at the wild fandom he had coming up (not his fault), which led to some other top prospects being largely ignored, but I think that's been toned down.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

For what it's worth, Wakanohana III predicated on the Abema TV broadcast that:

the kantosho will go to Abi,

the ginosho to Ura,

and no one will get the shukunsho.  

Let's see if his sansho predicting ability is better than his yusho predicting ability.

Mostly correct. K: Abi, Takanosho (with day 15 win); G: Ura; S: none

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Mostly correct. K: Abi, Takanosho (with day 15 win); G: Ura; S: none

Ura getting the gino-sho! It's about time that they recognized him

13 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Ura getting the gino-sho! It's about time that they recognized him

After all this time…

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do the usual thing and offered up the gino-sho to Takanosho. Change of mood maybe? Ura arguably the second rikishi this year (after Midorifuji in January) to actually get it for technical expertise rather than just an unusually good overall performance.

Edit: Maybe third, Hoshoryu in July was kind of a mix of both.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Ura is cool. He's something different, and, using a style that works best for his attributes, he consistently produces some of the most memorable kimarite and out of nowhere wins; he's had dozens of entertaining matches with big comebacks and momentum shifts. He is not some bottom ranking gimmick and is performing at high maegashira level. His attitude is unassuming and he never carries any ill will towards opponents (although yes, he sometimes has weird mannerisms). He came back from the bottom and 2 major setbacks. I like all that.

I was slightly annoyed at the wild fandom he had coming up (not his fault), which led to some other top prospects being largely ignored, but I think that's been toned down.

I like Ura too simply because he has zero interest in attacking his opponent's belt, or their face and chest. That makes him interesting and likely to produce interesting matches, win or lose. His whole approach is to try and pick an arm or leg and use it to throw - he's basically doing judo, which makes sense given his background. The only issue is that doesn't work very well when someone big bum-rushes him, which is why he hangs so far back at the tachiai to try and avoid that. I can't ever see him making ozeki or Yokozuna, but he's fun to watch, because even though he has a consistent method of attack, you never know how his opponent will deal with it.

• Like 6

No play-off in juryo as Kotokuzan loses to Nishikigi. Ichiyamamoto celebrates his yusho by doing the Ichiyamamoto thing: push'em, pull'em, slap'em down.

Wow. Terutsuyoshi pulls an Endo and takes Tochnoshin down with a double inside deep grip. 

No fighting spirit left in Abi, Takanosho gets his kantosho easily

22 hours ago, Adil said:

Interesting comment from Wakanohana: He said that even though there have been some Mongolian yokozuna recently, Terunofuji is the one who does the most "Japanese" style sumo among them. 

I thought the most Japanese style of the Mongolian yokozuna would be Kakuryu with his pull downs and ginger steps.

22 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I'm not ruling out the Isegahama Fukuoka Koenkai having dosed the chanko somehow, although you'd think Takarafuji and Terutsuyoshi would be doing better if that's the case. (Laughing...)

And Nishikifuji and Midorifuji as well, maybe those 2 and giving strength to Atamifuji and the makuuchi duo are giving it to Terunofuji.

Even if they did, the trip from Dazaifu Tenmangu to the venue would have reduce the effectiveness .

Edited by rhyen

Thought Takakeisho had Terunofuji there, but Takakeisho ran out of gas.

Oh, good, Shohozan won. I had hoped he'd win that final bout at home, especially if we don't see him again.

• Like 2

Quite frankly pathetic Sumo in the last bout. 

Fighting like they are in round 9 of a boxing match, pure sluggishness.

Embodies the current state/quality of Ozumo very well.

Edited by Hakuryuho

Congratulations to Terunofuji for his first makuuchi zensho. 7th D/J/Y in a row, the 10th from the last 12 basho. Quite impressive.

• Like 1

18 now for Terunofuji, let's see how far he'll expand his wins in a row

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Do i smell an Ozeki-run?

With other Rikishi I would think so, with Mitakeumi, not so much. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Quite frankly pathetic Sumo in the last bout. 

Fighting like they are in round 9 of a boxing match, pure sluggishness.

Embodies the current state/quality of Ozumo very well.

I feel like I'm too western when it comes to stuff like that, as I found that to be my match of the day even if it's sloppy af. 

13 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

With other Rikishi I would think so, with Mitakeumi, not so much. 

Us Mitakeumi fans can only hope at this point. Only 13 wins to meet the criteria right?

Edited by Chartorenji

The was the "I'm happy, yes" with the least smell of any happiness I can think of - Abi when asked about his kanto-sho. Now that he's firm back to makuuchi he'll think about living with his family again.

Terunofuji had a very long interview, he talked sensible and calm, Ura was really happy for his first sansho ever, Takanosho's interview was earlier and not really felt like a sansho interview, he was rather happy about his result and the return to sanyaku.

Edited by Akinomaki

So ... zensho for Terunofuji, who becomes the first non-Hakuho man since Goeido in September 2016 to go 15-0.

Both M1s Daieisho and Wakatakakage recover from horrible starts (3-7 and 2-7) to secure final day kachikoshi. Great work from both of those.

Mitakeumi ends 11-4 to give himself an excellent foundation for another attempt at an Ozeki run. Heck, if he manages to yusho in January, this could even by the middle basho, with his 9-6 last time counting as well.

Takakeisho probably needed to win today for this jun-yusho to start a rope run. 12-3 with a loss to Terunofuji is unlikely to cut it.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The interesting thing about oozumo is that there is always a new fact or statistic that lends significance to the championship win.  In this case, there were plenty of significant statistics, but the fact that caught my attention was that Terunofuji will be turning 30 ... tomorrow (exactly one day after his first zensho yusho).  The fact was broached in the NHK interview.  Terunofuji made light of turning 30, and focused on maintaining his physical ability.

It's sort of like people who have birthdays on December 26.  All the attention is always on Christmas.  I'm sure Teru won't mind.  His 30th birthday is like icing on the zensho yusho cake.

Here's wishing Teru a very happy birthday!  (Holidayfeeling...)