Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

My take: Terunofuji - Abi on day 14, Terunofuji  - Takakeisho on Senshuraku.

Bingo! B-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Bingo! B-)

It is a 3 man race at this point, so they might as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Bingo! B-)

Well, they did decide to do Shodai-Takakeisho, which is interesting as the match that they seemed to skip Day 13.  Thus they can still do Terunofuji against either Ozeki and have Mitakeumi vs. the other to have a full real sanyaku soroibumi.  So I'd only say for sure you're half right as of now.  There's no clear-cut evidence besides, you know, it making more sense to put two people in the Yusho race against each other, that they'll do Terunofuji-Takakeisho.  If Takakeisho is out of the Yusho race when they make the Day 15 pairings, they might as well put the Yokozuna against Shodai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandanme yusho: foriegn collegiate rikishi version

Arauma (Mongolia) vs Kinbozan (Kazakhstan) - match starts at 1:24

 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

If Takakeisho is out of the Yusho race when they make the Day 15 pairings, they might as well put the Yokozuna against Shodai.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyusho November Basho Links and Statistics Blog--Day 12: results, standings, videos, match articles, kimarite statistics, time of match statistics, Kachi-koshi/Make-koshi, Top Rank Performance, Maegashira v san'yaku, and more.

Kyushu Basho Links and Statistics--Day 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryuden wins his second makushita yusho. His first was at Aki 2012. Is 9 years a record gap?

Edited by Tigerboy1966
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinbozan reminds me of Ichinojo in the interview room. Enormous foreigner with a small voice and darting eyes like "what on earth am I doing here!?"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ura has 10 wins after another katasukashi. It's his 4th so far this basho. Will he get his first sansho?

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamajiro vs Endo huh. 3 matta.

And one on Takakeisho. With Abi's win things are really interesting now.

Edited by Taliesin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how Abi didn't lose the bout first, what with all the flailing about the dohyo he did. But his increased mass and presumably lowered CG seems to be doing wonders for him; I wouldn't be surprised if he was back in the sanyaku and taking the sekiwake spot he should have had much earlier by Haru.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

I have no idea how Abi didn't lose the bout first, what with all the flailing about the dohyo he did. But his increased mass and presumably lowered CG seems to be doing wonders for him; I wouldn't be surprised if he was back in the sanyaku and taking the sekiwake spot he should have had much earlier by Haru.

Have you never seen Abi do sumo before? :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abi was all fighting spirit - no.1. secured today. My hope that he'll be in the yusho race till the end was fulfilled.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:
15 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I have no idea how Abi didn't lose the bout first, what with all the flailing about the dohyo he did. But his increased mass and presumably lowered CG seems to be doing wonders for him; I wouldn't be surprised if he was back in the sanyaku and taking the sekiwake spot he should have had much earlier by Haru.

Have you never seen Abi do sumo before? :-D

I have - and that's part of the point: in his past self, he would have been face flat on the dohyo by now. It's not as if Takakeisho doesn't know how to deliver a good hatakikomi when he sees one; he's deceptively fast with sidesteps despite his bulk.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terunofuji yorikiri Mitakeumi has become one of the most reliable results in sumo

Now Abi vs Teru - their paths always missed one another's. Now they meet for the 1st time at a pivotal point in the yusho race. It's destiny! Two comeback kids! Looking forward to it (Punkrocker...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

I have - and that's part of the point: in his past self, he would have been face flat on the dohyo by now. It's not as if Takakeisho doesn't know how to deliver a good hatakikomi when he sees one; he's deceptively fast with sidesteps despite his bulk.

As you can see from my avatar, I've been on the Abi train since long before it was fashionable. Been laughed at here for suggesting he may one day make Ozeki, if not even higher, but he now has the only two things he's ever been missing to make that happen: sufficient bulk and and the right attitude. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

As you can see from my avatar, I've been on the Abi train since long before it was fashionable. Been laughed at here for suggesting he may one day make Ozeki, if not even higher, but he now has the only two things he's ever been missing to make that happen: sufficient bulk and and the right attitude. 

It's probably still out for the jury whether the attitude lasts, but I agree with the bulk. He's also probably going to land on the joi borderline if not actually in it (unless he wins the yusho), in which case he would probably be capitalising on an excellent time to storm up the ranks too, what with all the hot picks of last year (the two junior Kotos and Hoshoryu) having somewhat run out of steam along the way, and a general weakness and/or inconsistency in everyone not called Terunofuji or Takakeisho.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I think that will ever happen, but he's sure on form and hard charging thrusters (Daiesho, Onosho, Takakeisho) have given Teru problems before. I can see Abi getting a hand on the neck and charging forward as he does, but Teru also has the power to swat him aside in an instant. 

It must be one of the highest level pairings (in ability, not simply rank) not to happen yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Not that I think that will ever happen, but he's sure on form and hard charging thrusters (Daiesho, Onosho, Takakeisho) have given Teru problems before. I can see Abi getting a hand on the neck and charging forward as he does, but Teru also has the power to swat him aside in an instant. 

It must be one of the highest level pairings (in ability, not simply rank) not to happen yet.

I'd say more a matter of form rather than ability. I am still a little more bearish on Abi's prospects because he hasn't had the full slate of joi+sanyaku to really test his sumo, but he's definitely riding a wave coming into the bout tomorrow. I would be pleasantly surprised if an upset occurs although I don't think it improbable.

One thing Abi has over all the oshi-types you've mentioned is a much better reach. Combined with his bulk, it seems to make him less susceptible to the hatakikomi counters that would ordinarily be applied to them (since he doesn't need to extend as far to apply as much pressure), and his arms can keep Terunofuji's own grip at bay. We could see a bit of a tsuppari-fest (which was ex-Terao's forte, naturally) tomorrow before anyone gets to business.

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Abi won't fall into the mawashi trap, that's for sure.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile with Meisei, Ichinojo, Kiribayama all 5-8, and Takanosho 9-4 (and facing Hidenoumi tomorrow) I wonder if he has a shot at jumping straight to sekiwake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I would be pleasantly surprised if an upset occurs although I don't think it improbable.

Likewise.  But if there is a big (and I mean "big") upset tomorrow, what happens next.  I don't see the Judges' Committee coming out with the final day pairings until after tomorrow's last bout.  There is a lot riding on the outcome of the Abi-Terunofuji showdown.  An Abi win will just create a tie going into day 15.  Teru can expect to face and hopefully win against Takakeisho (O1e is the conventional senshuraku opponent for the current banzuke form, but Shodai won't generate much drama).  That would leave Abi's opponent undecided (if only they could let Hokutofuji have another go at Abi... LOL).  If the wave that Abi is on right now continues, then we might just get a playoff, which would jack the excitement level in this otherwise meh tournament off the charts!

Will we see a ketteisen in this tournament?  I for one would love to see that scenario play out.

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now