Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

1 hour ago, Kurowashi said:
18 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

I still hope Chiyonokuni lights his fire, i love his spirit and will always cheer for him.

i hope to see him getting into sanyaku at least once in his career, from all the rikishi who haven‘t been in sanyaku he‘s definetly the one who deserves it the most…

So who is the best currently active rikishi never to make sanyaku? Chiyonokuni is definitely a contender, but Tokushoryu won a yusho. I like Chiyoshoma and Kagayaki but I'm in a minority. Hoshoryu? Tomokaze? Tobizaru? Yutakayama? Kotonowaka? What do y'all think?

15 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

So who is the best currently active rikishi never to make sanyaku? Chiyonokuni is definitely a contender, but Tokushoryu won a yusho. I like Chiyoshoma and Kagayaki but I'm in a minority. Hoshoryu? Tomokaze? Tobizaru? Yutakayama? Kotonowaka? What do y'all think?

"Best" is tough, because it's subjective in so many ways.  Best now? Best at any time in their career?

In the current basho, the top-ranked rikishi never (yet) to reach Sanyaku is Hoshoryu -- a good choice "by the numbers" or not.

Highest previous rank below Sanyaku? the M1's: Hoshoryu, Yutakayama, Ciyonokuni, Sadanoumi.

I was surprised to see that Chiyonokuni is older than Yutakayama by 3 years, so he's in a do-or-die situation; he doesn't have the luxury of getting injured yet again, and maybe it's too late already.  My sentimental favorite, of course, is Sadanoumi, who's 34 and probably beyond his sell-by date; his father made Komosubi and served as an Oyakata.

i was referring to it in the sense of active rikishi with quality sumo and realistic chances to have been there or the chance to still get there.. of course thats also subjective.. as much as i enjoy hoshoryu (since hatsu this year, jumped pretty late on the train, wasn‘t convinced before B-)) for example, my choice is for sure chiyonokuni because he‘s a veteran and you gotta love his spirit and aggressive fighting style :-D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kurowashi said:

i was referring to it in the sense of active rikishi with quality sumo and realistic chances to have been there or the chance to still get there.. of course thats also subjective.. as much as i enjoy hoshoryu (since hatsu this year, jumped pretty late on the train, wasn‘t convinced before B-)) for example, my choice is for sure chiyonokuni because he‘s a veteran and you gotta love his spirit and aggressive fighting style :-D

If not for his multiple injuries I'm sure Chiyonokuni would have made himself ineligible for this discussion many basho ago. I hope he gets there eventually, but not looking the goods this basho.

• Like 1

Super bummed about Hakuyozan’s leg. He’s currently at J11 after his slow climb back up to salaried ranks from injury. If he withdraws, he’ll almost certainly drop back down to Makushita again. He's only 26, but his potential to make a lasting comeback seems quite limited due to the leg's vulnerability.

Bushozan showed great tenacity to eke out that shitatenage win over Kaisho. I always enjoy his fights. He’s got Takakeisho’s body, albeit with a much more diverse bag of tools, technique-wise. Can't wait till we see them fight head-to-head.

Terutsuyoshi’s shitatenage throw of a much heavier Aoiyama was well-earned. You almost knew the match was going to go the smaller man’s way once they locked up, despite the big Bulgarian’s brutal assault to his chest/neck/face. Aoiyama’s labored breathing was so loud, he can’t have great cardio carrying all that weight.

Tobizaru obviously still fired up from Day 4 win over Ura, rode that momentum to dispatch Kotonowaka.

While Ura’s tottari on Chiyoshoma was immensely satisfying, was it an arm bar? Think they could have called any number of kimarite there. Not pretty, but a win is a win.

Mitakeumi racks up his first loss in his first match that goes over 15 seconds. Maybe that’s the pattern we’ll see: If he can blow his opponent out of the ring with his initial charge, or soon thereafter, he’s ok, but if it goes remotely long, he gasses out. He's not known for his stamina.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

"Best" is tough, because it's subjective in so many ways.  Best now? Best at any time in their career?

It is subjective, which is what makes it interesting?

55 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

My sentimental favorite, of course, is Sadanoumi

I think Sadanoumi has more maku'uchi wins than any of the other candidates.

If we are looking at how good they were at there absolute best, I would have to go for Yutakayama. Nagoya, 2018, Day 15. Awesome victory over the yusho winner Mitakeumi. One of those matches that sticks in your memory so strongly that you don't even have to look it up (although I did look it up, just to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks)

• Like 2

12 years since the last banzuke on which only a single Makuuchi rikishi was at a new highest rank - back then it was Bushuyama reaching Maegashira 3.

52 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

It is subjective, which is what makes it interesting?

I think Sadanoumi has more maku'uchi wins than any of the other candidates.

If we are looking at how good they were at there absolute best, I would have to go for Yutakayama. Nagoya, 2018, Day 15. Awesome victory over the yusho winner Mitakeumi. One of those matches that sticks in your memory so strongly that you don't even have to look it up (although I did look it up, just to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks)

I remember that bout and was glorious. Fantastic win for Yutakayama there. But somehow, he hasn't been able to turn him on like that again.

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I can’t include anyone like Hoshoryu in a “never made it” discussion as he’s still so fresh off the boat. He’s in the “hasn’t made it yet” category. For me, “never” comes with implications of age and longevity. Chiyonokuni has been around in the sekitori ranks (not counting his injury-forced demotions) for exactly ten years next basho, and his career high rank is M1. That’s about as strong a case as you can make to meet the terms of your question, I think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I consider Kagayaki to be an overachiever. He's sloppy, has poor balance, isn't fast, and can be easily overpowered at times.... yet with his basic straight ahead pushing is on 32 consecutive basho in makuuchi and has never been demoted from the sekitori ranks. That, and making it up to M3, have surpassed my expectations. Although he's had 6 MK in a row and is 2-3 this basho, so it's about time he won if he wants to keep his top division streak going.

For me Ura is an interesting one for this question, because he doesn't really fit into the makuuchi veteran or the up and comer category. At his best I rate him higher than most who've been around a while but haven't made sanyaku. He has a fairly comfortable winning record in makuuchi (counting the matches he's actually competed it) and quickly made the joi-jin in his first top division run. I think when he's healthy he's at least high maegashira quality.

I'd be surprised if Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka never made sanyaku.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Kagayaki, to my eye, looks like he's trying to diversify lately. He's been grabbing the mawashi more often, and visited inter-stable practice for the first time ever. He's probably clued in that he's hit a ceiling for the last few years.

I don't expect dividends of it to come for a while though. I'm pretty sure he's been doing the same straight-ahead push sumo since his childhood.

Edited by yohcun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Natto down :-O

Yes and his account has been terminated. NSK is really helping with the spread of sumo to the world. Yes that is sarcasm. :-/:-/:-/:-/

• Sad 1

November Kyushu Basho Links and Statistics Blog--DAY 5 POST

Results, Day 6 Preview and Schedule, Standings, match articles, photos, videos, Kimarite statistics, Time of match statistics, Top Rank performance, Maegashira v san'yaku statistics, Juryo substitutes. Nice JSA video of matches of Terunofuji, Ura, Wakatakakage, and Abi matches. Enjoy.

DAY 5 KYUSHU BLOG POST

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Natto down :-O

2 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

Yes and his account has been terminated. NSK is really helping with the spread of sumo to the world. Yes that is sarcasm. :-/:-/:-/:-/

Kintamayama keeps reporting him to ensure he has a monopoly on the lucrative market of YT sumo highlights videos.

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, yohcun said:

I'm pretty sure he's been doing the same straight-ahead push sumo since his childhood. 

That's why it's appropriate that he named himself after a train: he runs on tracks.

He's very good at what he does but he has a couple of obvious shortcomings: he isn't comfortable on the belt (although he's improving) and he's vulnerable to an opponent lateral movement.

• Haha 1

Man, the sumo is terrible tonight so far.

42 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

That's why it's appropriate that he named himself after a train: he runs on tracks.

He's very good at what he does but he has a couple of obvious shortcomings: he isn't comfortable on the belt (although he's improving) and he's vulnerable to an opponent lateral movement.

With 6 straight MK he needs to improve a bit faster!

Getting way ahead of things here, but how do people feel about Takakeisho’s chances of launching a tsuna-run this basho even without the yusho? I reckon a 13-2 or more jun-yusho could be enough, especially if he beats Terunofuji as part of it (who then wins 14-1). He’s looking in good form so far.

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Getting way ahead of things here, but how do people feel about Takakeisho’s chances of launching a tsuna-run this basho even without the yusho? I reckon a 13-2 or more jun-yusho could be enough, especially if he beats Terunofuji as part of it (who then wins 14-1). He’s looking in good form so far.

Don't see it. If he goes 14-1 JY then maybe

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Considering the fact that the last person to Zensho besides Hakuho is Goeido and 13 wins has been enough to win 8 of the last 9 basho I would think any 13 wins would be considered a Yusho equivalent. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Have to agree with you.  Takakeisho looks as good as he's ever looked.  He has dispatched all of his opponents so far handily and with confidence.  Meanwhile, in his bouts, Yokozuna Terunofuji has been overly cautious and vulnerable on several occasions.  The way things are going, Takakeisho may just fight his way to another championship, upsetting the (relatively) new Yokozuna along the way.  I wouldn't put a zensho yusho past Takakeisho at this point.  Junyusho or Yusho, either way, you can argue that he will be starting a tsuna run...

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Don't see it. If he goes 14-1 JY then maybe

Even with his existing two Y/JY combos in his back pocket? That has to count for something.

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Even with his existing two Y/JY combos in his back pocket? That has to count for something.

That's definitely true but I think what will hinder greatly is his streakiness, even if he strings together two rather promotion-worthy bashos the YDC/Kyokai could still deny him the ascension to Yokozuna by calling it a fluke and wanting to see regular results of that magnitude. But maybe I'm just too pessimistic in that regard.. at least I hope so!

• Like 1