Akinomaki

Kyushu 2021 discussion

On 07/11/2021 at 05:10, WAKATAKE said:

I believe this thread will have the spoilers tag added onto the title?

All threads in Honbasho talk contain spoilers, so no need to add that awful tag to the title here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

All threads in Honbasho talk contain spoilers, so no need to add that awful tag to the title here

I'm fairly sure that wasn't the case in the past... spoilers were supposed to be kept to the main basho thread so people wouldn't start threads saying "Hakuho defeated!!!!" or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakkaku

202111130000326-w200_1.jpgo

Here we see strict disipline being used by one of the gyojis,why does this remind me of my schooldays?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Who do you think will win? NZ or Australia?

I hope NZ, even though they knocked out England (how did that happen?!). They’re a nice team that responded with real class to the 50-overs WC loss in 2019. The Aussies not so much.

Hokuseiho looked slow, nervous and rusty. Tohakuryu never let him get anywhere near the belt and ended up bullying the big guy.

20 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Hokuseiho looked slow, nervous and rusty. Tohakuryu never let him get anywhere near the belt and ended up bullying the big guy.

That, and his hips are still too high even allowing for his lankier build. Not an auspicious start for Hokuseiho, who probably hasn't gotten representative training against rikishi if Ishiura and Enho are his only sparring partners, but he'll have done well to carve out an 8-7 by the end of this basho.

And speaking of Enho, Hokuseiho's not the only one having trouble getting belts, although it was definitely a lot worse for Enho considering the size advantage and negligible speed difference that Hakuyozan has.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

And speaking of Enho, Hokuseiho's not the only one having trouble getting belts, although it was definitely a lot worse for Enho considering the size advantage and negligible speed difference that Hakuyozan has.

Enho had a couple of chances to get his man side-on but Hakuyozan showed good speed to recover his position. If it wasn't for the injury Hakuyozan would be in maku'uchi... mind you you could say that about a lot of wrestlers. As it is he's alongside Mitoryu as a member of that small club of juryo winners never to have been promoted to the top division.

• Like 2

Wakanohana's poor track record in predicting yushos has been jokingly pilloried on Abema again, with he himself referring to the prediction as the "hole" (ana) prediction. I'm not well-versed enough in Japanese to grasp the joke behind that adjective beyond a generally self-deprecatory tone, but perhaps someone else can.

First gyoji STRAIIIIIKU goes to Chiyoshoma, who coolly uwatenages Kotoeko straight into Kimura Konosuke waiting below.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Henkashoma, what way to start a basho. (Applauding...)

Chiyotaikai/Kokonoe must be so proud.

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

First gyoji STRAIIIIIKU goes to Chiyoshoma, who coolly uwatenages Kotoeko straight into Kimura Konosuke waiting below.

Probably unfortunate accident... but this is Chiyoshoma, a man who laughed when Bambi's mum got shot.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Probably unfortunate accident... but this is Chiyoshoma, a man who laughed when Bambi's mum got shot.

It looked like Konosuke had a laugh himself.

URAAAAA! Nice one :)

November Kyushu Basho Links Blog: Links to results, articles, photos, Kimarite statistics, time of match statistics, top rank results, maegashira v San Yaku, Juryo substitutes, video links, and more

Introduction and Previews (including 2 Fred Pinkerton height x weight scatter plots)--links to all player information (ranking, prefecture or country of origin, date of birth, stable height, weight)

Enjoy

2 minutes ago, Benihana said:

URAAAAA! Nice one :)

Tamawashi expecting a matta? I certainly hope so because if he wasn't then that tachi-ai was just pathetic.

Edited by Tigerboy1966
he

NHK just flashed a shot of Hakuho doing security duties. Even the GOAT must start again from the bottom.

Edited by Kaninoyama

Very dominant performance from Hoshoryu. Hand on the belt and boom, uwatenage shitatenage's your uncle.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Very dominant performance from Hoshoryu. Hand on the belt and boom, uwatenage's your uncle.

*shitatenage :-D

• Thanks 1

All things considered a valiant performance from Kiribayama. I don't think anyone realistically tipped him to beat Terunofuji, and he really made him work for the win; this bodes well for his sanyaku prospects beyond this basho.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

All things considered a valiant performance from Kiribayama. I don't think anyone realistically tipped him to beat Terunofuji, and he really made him work for the win; this bodes well for his sanyaku prospects beyond this basho.

Agreed.  But at the same time, the Terunofuji victory bodes well for a Terunofuji yusho/championship.  Once again, Terunofuji showed good patience, and despite his opponent's valiant efforts, he still had the presence of mind to use a follow-up komatasukui technique when his nage throw didn't work...

And Waka III may just have dug himself another "hole" by predicting a Daieisho championship in Fukuoka.  Two Daieisho championships in 2021?!!  Unlikely IMHO.  At least not on Terunofuji's watch! ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

That, and his hips are still too high even allowing for his lankier build. Not an auspicious start for Hokuseiho, who probably hasn't gotten representative training against rikishi if Ishiura and Enho are his only sparring partners, but he'll have done well to carve out an 8-7 by the end of this basho.

All in all, not a good day for the Miyagino Stable boys.  All three (including Ishiura) lost their bouts, and all Hakuho could do was sit and watch from the sidelines.

I guess Hakuho's "I'll retire if you don't win your bouts" threat is off the table at this point... :-S

Apparently, Tochinoshin didn't get the memo about everyone being healthy this time 'round. :-(

Can anyone tell me how Ryuden looked in his win today?

It looks quite possible that he will face Akiseyama next, which would be fun.

Hmm, no social distancing around the dohyo in Fukuoka...

It almost looked 'situation normal'.
- Magaki doing his stint as a hanamichi bouncer in the blue uniform, just like every new oyakata before him.
- Akua's lousy shimekoma colours and even lousier falls.
- Chiyoshoma with a shonichi henka.
- Off- and on-dohyo gyoji bowling.
- Unfathomable mono-ii decisions.
- Shonichi kuroboshi for Shodai...

I was really impressed by how long Kiribayama lasted against Terunofuji, and how hard he made the yokozuna work for his win. Very dynamic bout - loved it!

• Like 2