Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Yumitorishiki mini-drama

The yumitorikishi  who has been doing the yumitorishiki bow twirling ceremony at the end of every day since March 2020 is Shouhouryuu (Kakuryuu's tsukebito) from Kakuryuu's ichimon.  There was some talk about switching to someone  who at least belongs to one of the current Yokozunas' ichimons now that Kakuryuu has retired. Well, you may have noticed that Satonofuji, the 44 year old veteran (Isegahama beya, Terunofuji's heya) from Jonidan (it's usually a  Makushita guy that does it) who used to do it in the past, has been doing it again since day 2, after not doing it for three years and 8 months. He was notified after day 1 in the evening that Shouhouryuu injured his shoulder during his bout and may not be able to perform his duty and that he should prepare to take his place. At  noon on day 2, a final decision was made that he would do it. In doing do, he has broken his own record of the oldest rikishi to perform a yumitorishiki. I find he does it very well.

The interesting thing is-Shouhouryuu is not kyujo. He lost his bout yesterday, so I wonder how this pans out- will Satonofuji do it till the end or will Shouhouryuu return at some point? 

202109130000651-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Considering both current yokozuna are from Tatsunami-Isegahama, I think that's just one ichimon to pick from...

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Considering both current yokozuna are from Tatsunami-Isegahama, I think that's just one ichimon to pick from...

So they went with Satonofuji who fits the bill of same heya perfectly. The question is-will they revert to Shouhouryuu?

• Like 1

Just now, Kintamayama said:

So they went with Satonofuji who fits the bill of same heya perfectly. The question is-will they revert to Shouhouryuu?

I'd rather they give it to Kasugaryu who is now back from kyujo, simply because there has never yet been a basho with three different performers. But maybe he's not in condition to do it, and with Hakuho kyujo it's unlikely anyway. As long as Satonofuji is genki I expect he will see out the basho.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Do all rikishi learn to twirl the bow, or just a few who are slated to perform the ceremony? 

Just a few.

• Thanks 1

It's probably time for a new yumitori performer tbh, considering Shohoryu's yokozuna has retired, Kasugaryu's is on the way out, and Satonofuji is no spring chicken either. The question is who in Tatsunami Isegahama they will pick, or if the NSK is waiting for a new younger yokozuna before bothering to train that yokozuna's tsukebito.

So who was it today?

Edit- Satonofuji. Shouhouryuu fought today and lost. 0-3.

Edited by Kintamayama

On 16/09/2021 at 12:13, Kintamayama said:

The yumitorikishi  who has been doing the yumitorishiki bow twirling ceremony at the end of every day since March 2020 is Shouhouryuu (Kakuryuu's tsukebito) from Kakuryuu's ichimon.  There was some talk about switching to someone  who at least belongs to one of the current Yokozunas' ichimons now that Kakuryuu has retired. Well, you may have noticed that Satonofuji, the 44 year old veteran (Isegahama beya, Terunofuji's heya) from Jonidan (it's usually a  Makushita guy that does it) who used to do it in the past, has been doing it again since day 2, after not doing it for three years and 8 months. He was notified after day 1 in the evening that Shouhouryuu injured his shoulder during his bout and may not be able to perform his duty and that he should prepare to take his place. At  noon on day 2, a final decision was made that he would do it. In doing do, he has broken his own record of the oldest rikishi to perform a yumitorishiki. I find he does it very well.

The interesting thing is-Shouhouryuu is not kyujo. He lost his bout yesterday, so I wonder how this pans out- will Satonofuji do it till the end or will Shouhouryuu return at some point? 

202109130000651-w500_0.jpg

That's a fantastic photo! 

I have had a question about the bow-twirlers for quite some time. 

Do they receive any additional stipend or privilege for performing, do they volunteer simply for the honour of doing it, or is it a begrudged chore?

2 hours ago, Mightyduck said:

That's a fantastic photo! 

I have had a question about the bow-twirlers for quite some time. 

Do they receive any additional stipend or privilege for performing, do they volunteer simply for the honour of doing it, or is it a begrudged chore?

Probably depends on who you ask. There was at least one bow twirler who didn't mind it so much that he continued doing it after being promoted to juryo. 

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Probably depends on who you ask. There was at least one bow twirler who didn't mind it so much that he continued doing it after being promoted to juryo. 

It was Oga, by the way.