Bugman

What are you watching (if anything) on Youtube lately?

I'm going through a weird mood where i can't concentrate on reading for some reason, so i'm finding myself on Youtube more often.  (I'd say it was old age creeping up on me, but older people acquire more patience as they go and not less, do they not?)  So far i've been indulging in random book reviews of works i've shamefully guessed i won't ever get around to actually reading, some sleep-aids in the form of gentle rain, the lapping of waves or 12-hours of nails across a chalk board, and some paranormal podcasts.  I can't say i'm a 'believer' particularly but i do find many of the stories and conversations to be entertaining, and sometimes even of interest from a historical/cultural perspective.

So, i'm curious as to what you guys spend your Youtube leisure time on, some links would be excellent as i'm always looking to expand my to-watch list! :)

Forensic specials, medical detectives,  the worst nature disasters ( hurricanes,  tsunamis, supervolcano eruptions, etc), animal rescues, funny cats and dogs videos, ancient civilizations' documentaries, Peking operas, sumo related videos especially Hakuho's ones, traditional ethnic music from all around the world, rainstorm videos for white noise before sleep. That's all I can remember for now.

• Like 1

I got hooked on music reactions last Fall; I'm fascinated by grown men and women reacting to videos by people they've never heard of, like The Beatles, Journey, and Hall&Oates.

I found a few new singers/groups unknown to me, including Diana Ankudinova and the country-based a cappella group Home Free -- like them so much that I'm going to a concert of theirs next month!

My wife is hooked on Mudlarking videos (shout out to the British forumites), and I watch historical videos about WWII and the US Civil war; also the NativLang series about linguistics.

• Like 1

British comedy. I binged Mock the Week a few years back, then Taskmaster earlier in lockdowns, then WILTY and Catsdown.

Engineering/STEM/"maker" vids are also pretty common on my list, as is indie/anime/game J-rock.

Also some gaming-related videos for Path of Exile.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hakuhonofan said:

the worst nature disasters ( hurricanes,  tsunamis, supervolcano eruptions, etc)

I remember an amusing documentary about a guy who was addicted to following storms around, it was about his travels and the opinions on the matter of his long-suffering wife, in fact, here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgGVD5YdFy0

I'm going have to check out Peking operas for myself, i've never heard of them but they sound interesting.

5 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

My wife is hooked on Mudlarking videos

I'm checking these out as we speak, had never heard of this either. thanks guys, you've all given me some great ideas :)

Edited by Bugman
  • Thanks 1

I like the Whatever Happened To… to read about old tv and movie stars and where they are today. 
As someone who is a believer, watch Joseph Prince in Singapore. He’s the finest speaker I have ever heard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bugman said:

I'm going have to check out Peking operas for myself, i've never heard of ....

Those are the links of the young version of the famous Peony Pavillion.  I can't help you with the translation, 'though. But the story is available anywhere on the web, and you can more or less understand what's going on from their acting. I grew up watching these kunqu operas because of my dad, and now that he's no longer around, it's one of sources of comfort for me.

Edited by Hakuhonofan
Better links
  • Like 4

It turns out, he read a poem

The poem in kazakh

Spoiler

Күз, Кез, Көз, Күш, Кеш, Көш, Кір, Кер, Көр, Күл, Кел, Көл, Кілең қысқа сөз, Кім оқиды тез?

Арқада алты арқар бар Қырқада қырық арқар бар Қырық арқарда ақ арқар бар Алты арқарда марқа арқар бар.

Әбдіреде әбігер әтеш отыр. Әбігер әтеш отырған Әбдірені әжем ашып жатыр.

Гүлім гүлге қарап күлімдеді, Көгілдір гүлге қонған аралар гуілдеді.

Доп деп, Дөп теп.

Ескекті ескекші еседі, Ескекші ескекті еседі.

Жаға жай, Жағажайда – Қамажай.

Зура зурнада ойнайды, Зурнада бір ғана Зура ойнайды деме, Зара да, Зере де зурнада ойнайды.

Инелік илеуде иленбейді. Итбалық итмұрынды иіскемейді.

Пай-пай-пай, Жайылып жүр тай. Ай-ай-ай, Ұшып кетті торғай.

Хан баласы ханзада Болды ғашық ханшаға. Алып ханнан хабар, Ханшайымды табар.

Қаһарлы айдаһар Шаһарға келіп, Қаһарланар.

Циркте ойнар аюды Циркаш десем, күлесің. "Ц” әрпінен басталған Цемент сөзін білесің.

Сатып алды чемпион чемодан. Чемодан алған чемпион чек алған.

Шынтемір Шықпен шыланған шөпке Шыңдалған шалғысын шық еткізді.

Ащы жеген Тазша баланың аузы ашыды, Тазша бала тұщы сумен -*аузын шайды.

Съезд, разъезд, подъезд. Подъезд, съезд, разъезд. Жаттап ал тез.

Ықылас пен Ыбырай Ыдыстарын тасымай, Ырыскүлден үлгі алмай, Ынтасыз жүр тілді алмай.

Үш кіші ішік піштім, Бес кіші ішік піштім, Неше кіші ішік піштім?

Іске тіл ілесе алады, Тілге іс ілесе алмайды.

Сұрап Мұрат Коньки тап. Байлап майлап, Аттай шап.

Электр шамы жанады, Этаждар жымың қағады. Электр жарық бермесе, Экран сөніп қалады.

Ян-ян-ян Жүгіріп жүр қоян. Ян-ян-ян Бұл қоян емес, шаян!

Сырқат малды демде емдеді, Демде емдемегенде ол мал сенделгендей еді. Сондықтан малды демде емдеді.

Өрісінде жүз бір өгіз, Сұрап алдық біз бір өгіз. Сұрадыңыз сіз бір өгіз... Есебін ап біз жүреміз.

Қондық жаңа қонысқа, Қалың екен жоңышқа. Қоныстағы жоңышқа, Оралады қонышқа!

The meaning in english (thanks Google Translate)

Spoiler

Autumn, Time, Eye, Power, Evening, Migration, Dirt, Dirt, See, Ash, Come, Lake, Short word, Who reads fast?

There are six argali on the back There are forty argali on the ridge There are forty white argali on the back There are six argali branded argali.

There is a rooster in Abdire.  My grandmother is opening Abdire, who is sitting on a rooster.

The flower smiled at the flower, the bees landed on the blue flower.

Kick the ball, kick the ball.

The oarsman raises the oar, The oarsman raises the oar.

On the beach, on the beach - Kamazhay.

Zura plays the zurna, not only Zura plays the zurna, but Zara and Zere also play the zurna.

The dragonfly does not knead.  Seals do not smell rose hips.

Share, share, spread.  Ai-ai-ai, The sparrow has flown away.

The prince's son became a prince in love with the princess.  Message from the giant khan, find the Princess.

The angry dragon came to the city and became angry.

You laugh when I call a bear a circus performer.  You know the word Cement, which starts with the letter "C".

Bought a champion suitcase.  The champion from the suitcase received a check.

Shintemir made the hardened meadow dew on the grass soaked with dew.

Tazsha, who ate bitterly, opened her mouth, and Tazsha rinsed her mouth with fresh water.

Congress, departure, entrance.  Entrance, congress, exit.  It's quick to memorize.

Do not carry the dishes of Ykylas and Ibrai, do not follow the example of Yryskul, do not follow the language without enthusiasm.

I have three small intestines, five small intestines, how many small intestines?

Can keep up with work, can't keep up with language.

Ask Murat to find skates.  Lubricate with a bandage, Attai slap.

The light comes on, the floors are flashing.  If there is no electricity, the screen turns off.

Yan-yan-yan The rabbit is running.  Yan-yan-yan It's not a rabbit, it's a crab!

He healed the sick animal by breathing, and when he did not cure the sick animal, it was as if he had died.  Therefore, the animal was treated by inhalation.

One hundred and one bulls in the field, We asked for one bull.  You asked for a bull ... We'll take care of it.

Landed in a new settlement, Thick alfalfa.  Alfalfa in the settlement, Return to the settlement!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hakuhonofan said:

Those are the links of the young version of the famous Peony Pavillion.  I can't help you with the translation, 'though. But the story is available anywhere on the web, and you can more or less understand what's going on from their acting. I grew up watching these kunqu operas because of my dad, and now that he's no longer around, it's one of sources of comfort for me.

I watch of course mainly recent sumo videos on YT, at the moment the basho broadcasts and the digests from Natto. But I watch just as much sumo on other platforms, mainly Bilibili and VK. Otherwise I check the music I like on YT and put it into playlists on my channel (mostly not yet listed).

I watch much more videos from the VOD platforms of public TV than on YT, but for YT I have a third use: I look for the recordings I have on VHS, and if I find them, I can throw the old tapes away. The Botan-tei videos above (the Japanese name) are one of them, this recording was aired in Germany on public TV. But I can't throw away my tapes yet, because they have the German subtitles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2021 at 22:49, Yamanashi said:

and the country-based a cappella group Home Free -- like them so much that I'm going to a concert of theirs next month!

I never would've pegged you as a "Home Fry."  Welcome to the club!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrestling videos,music videos(especially five finger death punch,Avenged sevenfold and My chemical romance.)Cop videos

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fujisan said:

My chemical romance.

Aww, I knew you had a soft side.(Sigh...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Aww, I knew you had a soft side.(Sigh...)

My friends seem to agree with you...

They always say I'm soft in the head.

• Like 1

Puppet History has wormed its way into our hearts. Also, we've been geeking out on Detail Geek, a Canadian who does fairly extreme auto detailing. A lot of the cars he cleans probably count as biohazards. He's more to have on in the background of some monotonous task, though. Rambla is much the same; they just walk with a camera on, usually in Japan. The one around Ryogoku was great because I've been there and want to go back so very much.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 18:27, Churaumi said:

Puppet History has wormed its way into our hearts. Also, we've been geeking out on Detail Geek, a Canadian who does fairly extreme auto detailing. A lot of the cars he cleans probably count as biohazards. He's more to have on in the background of some monotonous task, though. Rambla is much the same; they just walk with a camera on, usually in Japan. The one around Ryogoku was great because I've been there and want to go back so very much.

I know Rambalac, he's really good, just walks without saying anything and you almost feel like you're there yourself.  For a few years now i've had fluctuating mobility issues, so i can't go far and channels like his gave me some feeling of freedom back again.  It helps he has the stamina of an ox as well, he can really get around when he wants to :-D  He does the occasional drone video too i believe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bugman said:

I know Rambalac, he's really good, just walks without saying anything and you almost feel like you're there yourself.  For a few years now i've had fluctuating mobility issues, so i can't go far and channels like his gave me some feeling of freedom back again.  It helps he has the stamina of an ox as well, he can really get around when he wants to :-D  He does the occasional drone video too i believe.

Glad you deciphered Rambalac from the butchering Autocorrect did to my post.

• Like 1

A bit of everything today, Fawlty Towers, One Foot In The Grave and lots of 80s music.

Swami

• Like 1

Such a variety of interests!

This is my current list, which is subject to change:

• Like 1

The Operations Room is a good one for military history types...somewhat animated battles from history...like pieces on a gameboard moving. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2021 at 16:11, Swami said:

One Foot In The Grave

I....don't......BElIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEVE IT!!!!!  :-D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bugman said:

I....don't......BElIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEVE IT!!!!!  :-D

In my opinion, the last truly great British comedy.  Political correctness is making it impossible for comedy writers now to come up with any decent shows.

Swami

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swami said:

In my opinion, the last truly great British comedy.  Political correctness is making it impossible for comedy writers now to come up with any decent shows.

Swami

Of the British comedies i have fond memories of 'Only fools and horses', a lot of the Monty Python stuff and also one from around 20 years ago called 'Spaced'.  For me personally, i don't really know what sort of humour is currently popular since around that time, because due to my change from Television to the internet, i haven't really been keeping tabs on the nation's funny bone, so to speak.  What i can say is that on the odd occasion i have recently heard comedians on the radio, on the BBC channels, i must confess the canned laughter did not help in making me smile.  Perhaps i'm just getting old, i'm not sure :)  (Then again maybe it's my mind that is broken, since the only stand-up comedian that makes me belly-laugh is Frankie Boyle, and a lot of people find him vulgar in the extreme).

Edited by Bugman