Kintamayama

Aki talk

36 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, I meant from here on of course-we have to give it a proper send-off, no?

Properly, of course.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Announcement: The properly shtick is now officially dead. Should have died months ago.

Pardon me for asking - is this more a forum in-joke, or a belaboured cliche the rikishi used to love using but have since moved away from?

Edited by Seiyashi

42 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Pardon me for asking - is this more a forum in-joke, or a belaboured cliche the rikishi used to love using but have since moved away from?

Every time I write "properly", it is a direct translation to the word "shikkari" in Japanese. The rikishi have definitely not moved away from it, on the contrary.  Together with "concentrate" and "gambarimasu", the top three words used by rikishi in interviews these days. The word will continue to be used, but without the fireworks.. It is a forum in-joke, albeit a tedious one.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Announcement: The properly shtick is now officially dead. Should have died months ago.

You should do what you want to do. Don't let others stop you from doing your own sumo!

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

You should do what you want to do. Don't let others stop you from doing your own sumo!

I am concentrating on gambarizing properly, so no time for that..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good thing you have announced it properly, then.

Edited by Yaochozuna
improper spelling
  • Like 2

Day 13: 

Mitkeumi " My secret strategy was to do what I always do. But  Terunofuji figured it out and didn't let me do my own sumo."

Interviewer  "You, Shodai and Takakeisho looked like the Three Stooges today."

Mitakeumi " Yeah, that was funny right? Don't listen to Shodai though. I"M Moe and HE'S Larry."

Interviewer " Who's Shemp?"

Mitakeumi " I don't know. Who's Shemp?"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Day 13:

Abi, alone at the top of Juryo and on the way to his second Juryo yusho:  "The last time around I was thinking yusho, yusho all the time. This time I'm just facing things day by day. I guess I've changed.."

Shimanoumi, entering Makuuchi at 29 years old and after two and a half years, his 100th Makuuchi win: "I came up pretty slowly so i want to gambarize even more. If I do my own sumo, the results will follow."

Ichiyamamoto, 9th loss, the knee injury hampering his legs' movement: "  I was told by my heya coach Matsugane not to pull under any circumstances, but my knee just wouldn't  bend. Even when I attempt to slap, it feels like my opponent is tens of meters away.. I hope to win the rest of my bouts and end the basho on a high note."

Ura, stopping his losing streak at four, fifth win: "I really don't have anything special to say. I want to win  the remaining two matches."

Daieishou, kachikoshi, almost certain to win the Outstanding Performance Prize (shukunsho): "Beating the Yokozuna has given me a lot of confidence and there are a lot of plusses to that. I'll go all out and concentrate till the end of the basho!"

Wakatakakage, beating Chiyomaru, who is 46 kilos heavier than him, by yorikiri, and now has more wins than losses: "I'm glad i was able to attack from down under. I will concentrate on doing my own sumo for the remaining two days."

Takanoshou, his heyamate Takakeishou escaping kadoban on day 12: "I was surprised that he lost his first three bouts, but his willpower to turn things around is awesome. During the basho he was looking his usual self and did not show any kind of anxiety.."

Endou, coming off a left foot injury he suffered last basho and already with 10 wins, delivers his daily soliloquy : "I am able to properly concentrate and do sumo. I will concentrate and gambarize tomorrow as well!"

Myougiryuu, beating Takakeishou and remaining in the race: "Until now, I was overthinking things and not able to win. I was planning on getting that first step in as hard as I could  and hoped the rest will follow. It's great that I finally beat him for the first time. Yusho? Not really thinking about that. I'm just thankful to be doing sumo and to be cheered on by the fans."  After many questions by the press -"Adachi ward (where he lives) is far so I better get going, guys.."

Ounoshou, 10th win, beating Shoudai: "I was pushed back at the beginning, but was able to properly counter from under and that was good. I was a bit impatient when pushed back, but I managed to calm down and that was also good.. I'm doing well because I'm not exerting unnecessary power. I'm not particularly thinking of the yusho race. My sumo is moving forward and attacking. I want to attack all the way. "

Shoudai, losing to Ounoshou: "My tachiai and my hold were great but I was over-eager. My endgame was bad.."

Takakeishou, losing to Myougiryuu: "It wasn't hard for me to face him (because he never lost to him in the past). I lost, and all I can do is gambarize again. Tomorrow will come again, so I shall gambarize!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Day 14:

Shimanoumi-300th career win: "I was not aware of that. I just want to pile up them wins in Makuuchi!"

Ura, grabbing the 194 kilo giant Kaisei's leg and winning : "I just want to do sumo safely till the end."

Yutakayama, losing to Daieishou who has a kinboshi this basho, or a kinbasho this boshi, one of them..: "The difference between my current strength and that of the joi was quite apparent to everyone today in that bout. If I want to cause a stir in the upper ranks, I need to be conscious of the importance of moving forward- much more than I am now, or else it won't work."

Kiribayama, three straight losses after his seventh win, finally getting his kachikoshi today: "I was in a bind.. I feel that it's finally happened.. I want to properly gambarize in my last match."

Chiyotairyuu, facing senshuraku with a 7-7 record: "It's a nerve-wracking situation (he said the word "situation" in English..).Win or lose, I don't want to pull, I want to do forward moving sumo (watch him pull tomorrow..) and end the basho on a high note!"

Wakatakakage, four straight wins since day 11 and kachikoshi: "I was feeling like going from under. I want to properly do sumo a day at a time. It's important to concentrate on one's sumo".

Shoudai, succumbing to Myougiryuu's quick first step, not being able to do anything: "My opponent is in the yusho race so his spirits are high, I think. He 'drank' me.. Lately, I don't have good mental 'images'.. That was the worst sumo that I should never do."

Takakeishou, trying to push Terunofuji away but getting caught in his arms: "He managed to get a grip and I managed to lose.."

Ichinojou, getting a sanyaku kachikoshi for the first time since September 2018: "I think that is good. I want to use all my power and end the basho on a high note!" (suddenly everyone is Robert Plant?)

Okinoumi, first double digit win basho since September 2019: "There is still one day left. If the end will be poor, it's all meaningless. Rather than looking back, I prefer to concentrate on tomorrow!"

Myougiryuu, beating another Ozeki after seeing the other two yusho contenders Endou and Ounoshou lose: "It didn't faze me . I mounted the dohyo concentrated and believing in what I have done till now. I never thought I would be able to get double digit wins. I think I just want to enter the basho tomorrow feeling good!"

Ounoshou, losing to Meisei's henka: "The fact that I couldn't keep up with him today was my bad. It's the first time I see him execute that move and the thought never entered my mind. I think if I was really strong I would still be in the yusho race, so I'm just not   stroganoff  strong enough. I can only gambarize and start over. I want to concentrate till the end and do forward moving sumo!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Imagine a round-table discussion with members of Makuuchi:

Moderator: "The discussion topic is 'what is the best way to win a Sumo bout?'"

Rikishi #1: "It's very important to do forward-moving Sumo"

#2: "Well, if you can't face your match properly, it won't work."

#3: "But if you don't do your own brand of Sumo, how can the results follow?"

#4: "You can't look back.  You have to concentrate and gambarize®."

#5: "Also, you can't be thinking about the Yusho; that's the last thing you should be thinking about."

#6: "Wait, how can you be thinking of anything but the remaining matches?"

#7: "First I study the style of my opponent.  Then I go back over video of our previous matches: does he have a go-to move, is he weaker on one side or the other?  Then I set up a plan of attack: decisively following plan A, but always having a plan B for defense until I can figure out what he's doing."

Moderator: "Security!  We have an impostor!  Security! ... "

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yutakayama, losing to Daieishou who has a kinboshi this basho, or a kinbasho this boshi, one of them..: "The difference between my current strength and that of the joi was quite apparent to everyone today in that bout. If I want to cause a stir in the upper ranks, I need to be conscious of the importance of moving forward- much more than I am now, or else it won't work."

As long as he doesn't take a page from Onosho's book. B-)

• Like 1

Final day:

37 year old Shouhouzan likely back in Makuuchi next basho after seven bashos: "I'm going about it thinking I'm still young..Ex-Aminishiki was almost 40 when he was still in Makuuchi. There is still where to go upwards. I want to gambarize and return to sanyaku!"

Meisei, kachikoshi at Sekiwake, beating yusho contender Myougiryuu: "I wasn't thinking of my opponent. I had a good tachiai. My last bouts were all good sumo, one after the other...Sumo techniques, tachiai, mental state -I  want to take them all to a higher level , so I will train hard for next basho aiming for that."

Ounoshou, loses and misses out on the fighting spirit prize: "I wasn't conscious of that. That was the result, and it's only because I was weak. Although I got double digit wins some parts were unsatisfactory. I want to return to Sanyaku and go even higher.. I want to properly prepare for that and be ready in perfect shape!"

Shoudai, a dismal 8-7 record at Ozeki: "I got my kachikoshi on day 11 already and that was good, but the sumo after that sucked (4 straight losses)."

The other Ozeki, Takakeishou, didn't do much better, and after escaping kadoban on day 12, lost all his bouts : "Every basho I think I manage to learn to understand all sorts of things and I hope to utilize that in the future.."

Takarafuji, getting his kachikoshi on senshuraku, revealing he is a proud father to a baby girl: "I faced this basho feeling that I must get a kachikoshi. It was a good basho."

Myougiryuu, losing today and missing out on a possible playoff: "I'm glad i was able to do what I did, since I was extremely nervous because it's the first time that I have been involved in the yusho race till senshuraku.. I was thinking about all sorts of things.  My sumo wasn't flashy by all means, but I'm happy that my oshi-zumo abilities were highly appraised  I now feel I can still go on so I shall take good care of my body and prepare for next basho.."

Kiribayama, getting his ninth win, lifting out heavy Chiyomaru: "I wanted to properly grab his mawashi and put my heads against him. Success as a joi?  I did serious keiko and my body was moving well. Next basho, I would like to succeed as I did this basho.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Moti-san, are you farming out the writing on these things now?

If so, break down, spend a little money, hire someone who has a sense of humor (or start writing them yourself again) :-D

I know it was a drab, boring basho without much material to work from, but we are used to higher standards (of low brow humor) (Laughing...)

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for all you do to properly make it a little more interesting.   

I can't speak for @Kintamayama (nor would it do any good anyway), but I see the "basho" talk as a digest of personal interviews with sekitori during the basho.  I, as a non-Japanese speaker, appreciate this and I also appreciate the more journalistic style.  Besides, he now has to spread his puntasms and snark-attacks over two videos every day, so there's not much left over.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I can't speak for @Kintamayama (nor would it do any good anyway), but I see the "basho" talk as a digest of personal interviews with sekitori during the basho.  I, as a non-Japanese speaker, appreciate this and I also appreciate the more journalistic style.  Besides, he now has to spread his puntasms and snark-attacks over two videos every day, so there's not much left over.

I don't get much done as it is during the basho. I'd just be watching his videos for my snark fix.

I already watch the matches twice almost every day (live on NHK and then a recorded replay with my wife when she gets home).

Maybe someone can make a snark digest of his video digest :-D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kujo said:

Moti-san, are you farming out the writing on these things now?

If so, break down, spend a little money, hire someone who has a sense of humor (or start writing them yourself again) :-D

I know it was a drab, boring basho without much material to work from, but we are used to higher standards (of low brow humor) (Laughing...)

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for all you do to properly make it a little more interesting.   

It was very, very difficult to do these very, very boring and anticipated translations. There were moments I wanted to throw myself at myself. So I farmed out the writing to a Rumanian gypsy woman who said she will do anything, even translate Endou's words, for a Nagoya 2006 banzuke and an umbrella that pops out when you press a button. I could not do my brand of writing properly, I could not concentrate, I could not do these writings a day at a time, I could not gambarize for the remaining days. So I went fishing. I hope this will be a springboard for the next basho. Apologies expected.

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Final day:

Takarafuji, getting his kachikoshi on senshuraku, revealing he is a proud father to a baby girl: "I faced this basho feeling that I must get a kachikoshi. It was a good basho."

Do rikishi have very big families?

Terunofuji next-day interview:

Q: It's been a day since your yusho. How are you feeling?

A:  I am relieved.

Q: Is this yusho as a shin-Yokozuna different from your other yushos?

A: No, nothing is different.

Q: Before the basho, you were talking about a Yokozuna's responsibility.

A: I feel that as  someone at the very top of the rankings, I need to have a sense of responsibility.

Q: These fifteen days, your calm sumo was very conspicuous.

A: It really doesn't help to think too much. I was thinking that I have to bring what I did in training to the basho itself.

Q: You suffered two losses in the second half of the basho. How did you manage to change your feelings?

A: What happens on a certain day happens on a certain day and it's over. I just faced the next day as a new day.

Q: Were you able to act accordingly to the words you used in your Yokozuna promotion ceremony - "steadfastness"?

A: Not only during the fifteen days, but even now I'm acting according to it, and I want to continue realizing it in the future.

Q: You followed Kisenosato's shin-Yokozuna yusho back in March 2017 with your own shin-Yokozuna yusho this basho. You were involved in the yusho race back then as well.  Was this a continuation of that experience?

A: No, it was totally different from that basho. There is nothing to continue from back then. I was just concentrating on doing what I had to do this basho.

Q: What do you expect from next basho, your second basho as a Yokozuna?

A: I will face it seriously one day at a time and gambarize so that I can show a good result again.

Q: Will you be treating your knees now?

A: I will be consulting with my doctors on what to do.

Q: When did you get used to doing the Yokozuna dohyo-iri?

A: I'm still not happy with it. I'm not sure I'll ever be happy with it..

Q: I've heard doing the dohyo-iri is like having two bouts, burden-wise..

A: During the dohyo iri I have everyone's full attention so I was able to do it with a positive sense of anxiety..

Q: Hakuhou intends to retire..

A: I still haven't seen anything about it..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, rhyen said:

I think the Japanese as a whole don't have big families.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

It was very, very difficult to do these very, very boring and anticipated translations. There were moments I wanted to throw myself at myself. So I farmed out the writing to a Rumanian gypsy woman who said she will do anything, even translate Endou's words, for a Nagoya 2006 banzuke and an umbrella that pops out when you press a button. I could not do my brand of writing properly, I could not concentrate, I could not do these writings a day at a time, I could not gambarize for the remaining days. So I went fishing. I hope this will be a springboard for the next basho. Apologies expected.

Well, I can't argue with not having to translate Endo (I wonder if he is more interesting off camera or always like that).

Does the gypsy cook? 

How was fishing?  Did you do it properly or did you gambarize your own brand of fishing?

You know they say a bad day fishing beats a good day translating boring a$$ comments.   

You have 6 weeks (or so) to recover from that last snooze fest, stay well my friend  (Laughing...)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Takarafuji at least has two sons already. Yusho winners like Hakuho have often a big family, holding their children with the cup, Chiyonofuji did that, started that?

To have successors, either as rikishi or as spouses for a promising deshi, especially high profile rikishi had more children than the average Japanese.

I wouldn't say very big though, bigger than average

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rhyen said:

Well, the boys get pretty large sometimes, but ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1