Kintamayama

Aki talk

Whenever I feel like it..

Day1:

Mitakeumi' demolishing Takanoshou: "I feel good. (tarararararara, I know that I should now..) I was able to do the sumo I imagined.  I feel that I'm in good shape..'

Takarafuji, being the tachimochi during Terunofuji's first Yokozuna dohyo-iri, looking at him and remembering the hardships he had endured: " I was watching his back, it was moist and seemed to shine.."

Shoudai, losing his first bout, losing to Houshouryuu for the third straight time: "I didn't see a good image.. My tachiai was excellent, and I want to gambarize from tomorrow again. I want to show healthy sumo that won't show my age. It would be great if I could be involved in the yusho race..."

Takakeishou, losing to Hokutofuji, and asked about his neck and in general about his condition: "I'm OK.. I wasn't especially nervous. I was planning on doing good sumo, but.." He answered quite weakly and seemed lacking self confidence, a cause for concern, says the reporter.

Houshouryuu, beating Shoudai on day 1: "I was patient and that was good. I'd like to gambarize in order to be able to my own brand of sumo.."

Hokutofuji, beating Takakeishou: "I was able to get a proper first step in and that was good. I always feel I need to move forward and I'm glad that I brought that feeling to the basho. An Ozeki is an Ozeki, kadoban or not. All I was thinking about was to move forward with all I had.."

New Juryo Asashiyuu had surgery before the basho-right ankle. "It wasn't serious surgery.. There are still many things in Juryo I'm not used to, so I hope to gambarize and get used to stuff.."

Ura, off to a 0-1 start: "Lost totally. There is a serious difference in power between us.. I will gambarize and aim for kachikoshi!"

Tamawashi, beating his 13 year younger opponent (Kotonowaka) by yorikiri: "I knew if I would stop the moving the bout would become his pace so I kept moving my body till the end."

Kotonowaka losing to the veteran Tamawashi: "He had a quick first move. By the time I reacted I was "swimming" and that was bad.."

Kiribayama, beating new  Sekiwake Meisei by hatakikomi: "I was patient and able to go with the flow and win. Win or lose, I want to do sumo as hard as I can.."

Meisei, losing his first bout as a shin-Sekiwake: "Nothing good about what happened there. I planned on mounting the dohyo as usual but my body became rigid.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 13

Day 3:

Myougiryuu, beating Hidenoumi who thought it was a matta - now 3-0: "The gyoji did not stop the bout, so I went forward. I'm able to go about it feeling good.."

Ura,  losing decisively and going 0-3: "I was pressured.. I want to gambarize so I can win.."

Kotonowaka, winning easily today. Tomorrow he faces a sanyaku opponent for the first time,  the Wonderful Mr. Meisei: " If I go about it frantically it will be OK.  All I can do is give it my all.."

Kiribayama, beating Takayasu in a 3 minute 15 second bout for his third straight win: "I knew my opponent was suffering as well so i was able to persevere till the end."

Wakatakakage, first loss today at the hands of the Wonderful Mr. Meisei: "I was able to have a proper tachiai but the ensuing flow was not so good.."

Ichinojou, beating Takakeishou for his first win: "I'm happy to get my first win. I am aiming for kachikoshi!"

Hokutofuji facing Terunofuji tomorrow: "I'm looking forward to it. I want to go all out and do my own own brand of sumo!"

Takanoshou, unable to do much against Terunofuji: "I knew that if he got hold of my mawashi there was no way I could win so I though I should move around a lot. He caught me in the end.."

Takarafuji, now the sole leader of active rikishi with 768 consecutive Makuuchi matches, overtaking Hakuhou: "I don't hold many records like this, so I'll want to continue to take this seriously."

The Wonderful Mr.Meisei, getting his first win as a Sekiwake: "I had attacking in mind as I mounted the dohyo. Same as every day. I'm going about it while believing in myself."

Mitakeumi,  strong attack and pushes Houshouryuu out: "I was only thinking about doing my own brand of sumo.  I was able to win without stopping!"

Terunofuji,  calmly getting hold of Takanoshou and getting his third win: "I'm glad i was able to calmly move forward. I was thinking of going about it without rushing things."

Shoudai, second win: "I feel I'm beginning to go with the positive flow.. I feel I'm in the same condition I was when I won my yusho.  I hope my body will be moving well. I want to stay at one loss  and be involved in the yusho race till the end.."

Takakeishou, third straight loss: "I'm trying to do my best to win every day, but you know it don't come easy. " Hakkaku on Takakeishou: "He can't hit with his head, which is his main weapon and that's a pity. He will be struggling this basho.."

Kintamayama, on reading the rikishi's words: "I haven't read such a collection of cliches without a single ounce of individualism since I was six!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

it don't come easy.

You know how hard it can be...

What am I missing with the Wonderful Mr Meisei thing....

Here's a cliche for you, anything worth doing is worth doing properly (ya missed a day)  :-P

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Well, you got to pay your dues, so ...

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kotonowaka, winning easily today. Tomorrow he faces a sanyaku opponent for the first time,  the Wonderful Mr. Meisei: " If I go about it frantically it will be OK.  All I can do is give it my all.."

I like Kotonowaka's strategy. Flailing about frantically is the path to victory for sure. 

5 hours ago, Rocks said:

Different song..

4 hours ago, Kujo said:

What am I missing with the Wonderful Mr Meisei thing....

Here's a cliche for you, anything worth doing is worth doing properly (ya missed a day)  :-P

I promised to do my own brand of translation. I can only do what I can do.. As for the wonderful, you need to google the wonderful mrs.

Tsurugisho is kyujo with fever, a PCR test is under way, Chiyonokuni gets a fusensho

53 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I promised to do my own brand of translation. I can only do what I can do.. As for the wonderful, you need to google the wonderful mrs.

I realize that, the top of day 1 states "Whenever I feel like it..."  But we want MORE!  (Laughing...)

I also realize it's nearly impossible to make an extremely boring sumo interview reply sound interesting (thanks for trying).

I'm coming up short on the wonderful mrs meisei googles, is he even married? 

1 hour ago, Kujo said:

I realize that, the top of day 1 states "Whenever I feel like it..."  But we want MORE!  (Laughing...)

I also realize it's nearly impossible to make an extremely boring sumo interview reply sound interesting (thanks for trying).

I'm coming up short on the wonderful mrs meisei googles, is he even married? 

That's because it the the Marvelous Mrs. Meisel. Shot myself in the foot with that one..

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

That's because it the the Marvelous Mrs. Meisel. Shot myself in the foot with that one..

Ha ha, no worries. I had found that and thought, nah can't be.

I also found  a lot of references to an anime series (not really a fan of anime), and thought, nope not it either.

Thanks for the update! :-)

Day 4:

Chiyomaru, letting Kotoekou take charge and losing: "My opponent was low and kept his distance as he slapped. I still have more wins than losses, so I want to gambarize and turn things around!"

Myougiryuu, 4 straight wins: "My body is moving well. The Kyokai joint keiko was refreshing and I was able to train feeling good.."

Tobizaru, first loss: "I'll turn things around. I'm not in bad shape so I shall gambarize!"

Ounoshou, losing on the edge, tables turned on him: "It's my fault for not attacking all the way."

Ura, first win: "I'm glad I won.  There is no problem with my mobility. The joi guys are really strong. I can hardly keep up. If I can establish myself here.. It's really difficult. It's only day 4- it's really difficult.."

Wakatakakage, third win after a sharp tachiai and beating Tamawashi by hatakikomi: "I just have to continue coming from under, is what I was thinking.."

Shoudai, come from behind tsukiotoshi win, a year after his yusho: "I was able to respond well at the edge of the dohyo. This last year has flown by. I feel I'm somehow able to do things right.. I think my body is moving well." 

Hokutofuji, losing to Terunofuji: "I was conscious of moving forward but the Yokozuna had his head down and I inadvertently pulled.."

Terunofuji, calmly getting his 4th win: "When I'm on the dohyo I have no time to think too much, so all I can do is give it my all. I think it's not bad.."

Daieishou, beating Takarafuji for the first time after losing 5 straight to him, and getting his third win: "I haven't been able to beat him for a while now so I just went for it. The flow was good and my condition isn't bad.. If you don't go all out, you can't get them wins. I just want to properly see this through till the end." His stablemate Tsurugishou ran a fever of 40 Celsius and sat out today's bout fearing he was infected by the virus, but was found to be negative: "I'm glad he was found negative. I was worried.. "

Takakeishou, getting his first win: "I'm not thinking what my opponent is planning, I'm only thinking about myself and my plans. I'm thinking for myself. My neck has healed and I have no injuries. My neck injury is nothing new. I'm preparing myself for battle every day and I need to win, but there is no use thinking only about that. I will be reflecting on how I did after the final day. For now, I'm concentrating on tomorrow.."

Kiribayama, first time ever with 4 straight wins from day 1: "I was late at the tachiai but I was able to put my head on him and go about it calmly. My body is moving well. Tomorrow I face the Yokozuna. I just want to do my own sumo.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Short version of day 4:

My body is moving well.

My condition isn't bad.

I want to give it my all.

I want to do my own sumo.

I'll turn things around.

Gambarimasu.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's sad that so many of these guys are being denied the chance to do their own sumo. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Short version of day 4:

My body is moving well.

My condition isn't bad.

I want to give it my all.

I want to do my own sumo.

I'll turn things around.

Gambarimasu.

There is also a new "one".  "I am glad the test result was negative" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Day 5:

New Juryo Asashiyuu (Murata) on getting his first win as a sekitori: "At least I now have one win. I'd like to make this a turning point and ride the flow on the road to recovery.. I( was aiming to grab my opponent's belt but I couldn't get my right hand in. But I did not get confused and attacked from underneath and that was good.. I have felt that my body was moving well since day one so all I need is to improve my first step and do forward-moving sumo.."

Juryo Abi, 3-2 and in a position to return to Makuuchi: "I was able to concentrate. I think the content was good. Physically I have ben100% since day 1 but I was having difficulties concentrating. I shall do my best to concentrate from tomorrow."

Tsurugishou, coming off a virus scare with a 40 centigrade C  fever, turns out it was cellulitis, winning with a henka upon his return today: "I had an IV drip this morning. I planned on making the bout as quick as possible. I wasn't thinking of doing good sumo. I just wanted that win, regardless of fever or leg pains.."

Shoudai, facing Wakatakakage who beat him the last three times they met: "Truth be told, I had no image in my head, but that helped me just go all out. My timing and my first step were good. If I can repeat this kind of sumo the results should follow." Hakkaku on Shoudai: "When he got his yusho he was mostly moving forward. It reminds me of how he did today. He should remember how it was then.."

Takakeishou, beating Kotonowaka and getting his second win: "I am me so I need to gambarize on my own. I'll be thinking what I want to do and how I want to do it.."

Kotonowaka, losing in his first Ozeki  match: "The atmosphere and the flow were different. I felt that I won't be able to win unless I get stronger mentally."

Chiyonokuni, tied for the lead, winning at the last minute: "My body responded well. I think I have been properly concentrating day by day.."

Hidenoumi winning by the rare kimarite ushiromotare: "My opponent had the advantage at the tachiai, but I think my flow was good. He's a small guy but he's strong and I didn't want him to grab my mawashi. It seemed a bit coincidental, but instead of fussing about I was assertive. At the end, i pushed him out with my back. I saw that my throw was not enough to get him out of the dohyo.. It was by accident."

Ura, winning by the spectacular okuritsuridashi: "I have to watch it first to comment on it.. When I got his back I may have hurried things a little. That's the part that is dangerous if not done right.." He seemed to have been inspired by a Makushita bout he watched today between Amanoshima and Dainichidou  - Amanoshima was behind Dainichidou pushing him out and suddenly collapsed and couldn't win, losing by the non-kimarite tsukihiza. "That was swimming in my mind.. It's the first time I did it- one more for the bag.. I'm really happy." 

Terunofuji, beating Kiribayama and remaining unbeaten: "I was thinking of going about it calmly. I wasn't in a position to make any moves.. I have only been thinking of going about it calmly these last five days. I was able to concentrate on each bout at a time.."

Takadagawa Oyakata, chief judge during the second half: "Terunofuji was calmly waiting to get into the position that he liked. He was being very careful. Kiribayama also did well, but couldn't finish it off.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Day 10:

Ichiyamamoto, losing to Kaisei: "I can't win if he gets ahold of me. I was thinking of moving sideways but I was stopped and couldn't go through with it. I'm not being allowed (by my opponents) to do my own sumo.. It goes without sayin g that my opponent is strong, but I think it's my own weakness.."

Yutakayama, beating Chiyomaru: "Yesterday, I couldn't do the sumo I had in mind so I decided to go at it  calmly. I used my upper body power and used my shoulder to my liking and managed to do good sumo."

Tsurugishou, losing to Chiyonoou: "It's not only today- I haven' been doing any sumo of late..I will gambarize to be able to do good sumo. My cellulitis is no excuse for anything, since I'm appearing in the basho. All I can do is do my best."

Hidenoumi, beating Chiyonokuni: "That was a win of patience. I keep losing when I get dragged into my opponent's pace. I was in a disadvantageous position, but I managed to be patient and that was good. I was happy to be able to beat Chiyonokuni who was 2-0 against me in Makuuchi bouts. This has boosted my confidence!"

Myougiryuu, beating Okinoumi and remaining one loss behind the leader, first kachikoshi since January: "It's been a while. Yes. If I mount the dohyo these next five days, I'd like to do my own sumo day by day.. The win? It was all in the tachiai. I was able to take the first step, grab the front of my opponent's mawashi and move forward and that was good, huh?"

Ounoshou, beating Endou and remaining one loss behind the leader as well, also first kachikoshi since January: "I was planning on properly moving forward. I've been working properly hard since day one so I'm happy I was able to get that kachikoshi."

Ura, putting up a great fight against Terunofuji: "It's hard for me to say, but when I got the shitate and he got that uwate , there was a loud sigh from the crowd and I thought that was that. I was a bit dejected. I was thinking I was doing well..I was not going to give up. I threw all I had at him, but nothing fazed him. He is really strong.  Although we both have returned from serious injuries, we are definitely not in the same category.. I see the crowd's sighing as a good thing- they were all rooting for me and showing their concern. I felt the rise and fall of feelings all through the match.. I'm happy to have fought in the last match of the day, although I did not collect another kinboshi. The joi ranks are tough. I will gambarize till the end and aim for a good result!"

Takakeishou needs another two wins to retain his Ozeki rank: "I was thinking of going at it fully concentrated. I want to prepare myself so that I can fight tomorrow as well. I am thankful for the fans' support and will gambarize!"

Akua, kachikoshi at Juryo 1, back in Makuuchi next basho: " I have learned to be patient. I knew that a kachikoshi was of the utmost importance, so I focused on that.."

Kiribayama, winning by that HNH, setting his sights for a sanyaku berth: "I want to do good sumo till the last day and gambarize!"

Takarafuji, doing the sword bearer thing during Terunofuji's dohyo iri: "I had to run right after that from the east to the west dressing room again today, but  I can't run like I used to and I was out of breath. I'm feeling my age.."

Takanoshou, fifth loss: "Insufficient horsepower. When I planned on attacking, my foot slipped."

Ichinojou, emphatically pushing Tamawashi out: "That was my best bout this basho. I was able to fight as I planned."

Wakatakakage, losing to Mitakeumi, his college senior: "I want to gambarize and turn things around."

Shoudai, beating Daieishou who got a kinboshi a day ago: "He has a lot of power at the tachiai, so I went with my first step and hit with all my might so as not to lose. In the end, my body responded well."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I'm wondering about something. When Terunofuji was in purgatory down under, did he have to attend to Takarafuji and Terutsuyoshi as they were the high-rankers in the heya? You know, serving food, getting bullied, uh, helping with the toilet and stuff.

And now they are his backing dancers.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

I'm wondering about something. When Terunofuji was in purgatory down under, did he have to attend to Takarafuji and Terutsuyoshi as they were the high-rankers in the heya? You know, serving food, getting bullied, uh, helping with the toilet and stuff.

And now they are his backing dancers.

Rest assured, he didn't. He still was an Ozeki, no matter what.

• Like 1

Day 11:

Yutakayama, not being able to win on his 28th birthday, 5th loss: "My body is in  good condition but something is missing in order to connect this with a win.   I'm happy to be  doing this in Makuuchi but I don't want to collect bad memories like today.."

Tamawashi, "cooking "Ura calmly: "These type of opponents usually make me impatient and manage to get underneath me and inside. If I watch them too closely bad things happen. I just have to be calm and come from under, come from under.."

Ura, seventh loss: "I've been hoping to turn things around since my loss on day one. Even if I go makekoshi,  I can only continue to gambarize!"

Wakatakakage, fifth win: "All I was thinking of was to come in low as usual. I want to give it my all on a daily basis."

Takanoshou, pushing Houshouryu out in a blink of an eye: "If he gets the mawashi he's a formidable opponent so I thought to attack without thinking too much."

Ichinojou, battling Takarafuji for three minutes and twenty seconds before beating him by yorikiri: "A victory through patience. Even when the bout became long, I was thinking of properly doing my own brand of sumo."

Daieishou, pushed out by Mitakeumi: "My tachiai wasn't bad. I wanted to continue the momentum but.."

Shoudai, beating Meisei and getting his kachikoshi on day 11: "I'm relieved. Not like last basho, when I got my kachikoshi on the final day.."

Ounoshou, pulled down by Takakeishou for his third loss: "My feet didn't follow. Today is today, I will gambarize tomorrow.."

Endou, beating Kaisei and getting his first kachikoshi in two bashos: "My body moved well. I have been able to concentrate properly."

Myougiryuu, beating Itchy-yamamoto in their first encounter and still with two losses: "I planned on doing sumo with my feet so that nothing hasty might happen. The important thing is regardless of who my opponent is to hit him with my own sumo."

Mitakeumi, beating Daieishou: "Double digit wins is the goal.  I cannot rest on my laurels.. I am getting ready for the match against Terunofuji, making plans. My body is moving well so I should capitalize on that. The strategy is secret.."

Takakeishou, beating Ounoshou: "I don't remember exactly what happened.. I just wanted to prepare properly. I will concentrate and gambarize!"

Terunofuji, beating Takayasu after a grueling match: "I planned on moving forward carefully. The basho ain't over yet. It's from here on. I want to concentrate on each bout each day and gambarize."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I am getting ready for the match against Terunofuji, making plans. My body is moving well so I should capitalize on that. The strategy is secret.."

Four Swords Anniversary Edition: Full Review And ...

• Like 1

Day 12:

During the Juryo dohyo-iri, Nishikigi was called Nishikifuji by the announcer. Not out of the question, such a mistake.  "I've never seen such a thing!! Wow," said a housewife from Sapporo on Tsuwitaa. Nishikigi later won his bout.

The battle of those with three loses was won by Ounoshou (against Mitakeumi) today. "I was able to move forward and attack well. I was properly thinking of moving forward, so that is good. The yusho race? I'm not thinking of that specifically. I'm concentrating on a day at a time and will properly go about it seriously!"

Kadoban Ozeki Takakeishou got his kachikoshi today. NOBODY thought he could do that after day 3: "Today, like all days, I knew I could only concentrate and do my best. That was all I was thinking about. I wanted to be assertive. My result will be final when this is all over. If I don't have the ability, I would get a makekoshi. It's all about the result. I can only concentrate!" It is the first time since the kadoban system was established in July 1969 that a kadoban rikishi lost his first three bouts and managed to get a kachikoshi. "With four losses, I can't be thinking of the yusho race.  I just have to go all out. To that end, I shall be concentrating on tomorrow's bout, mathematical possibility notwithstanding.."

Meisei, beating Terunofuji and making the race somewhat more interesting: "I was planning on somehow confusing the Yokozuna , even a bit. I was absorbed in the moment. It was the first time I beat him., and more than saying we are from the same class, my opponent is the Yokozuna. I wasn't thinking too much about it and went with all I had. I still need that kachikoshi. I shall go out there again tomorrow fully concentrated. I don't want to go out there overthinking the fact that I need to win.."

Endou wins and remains in the yusho race. He rarely says anything, and when he does, he says nothing: " I was thinking that I needed to properly do my own sumo. I shall gambarize!"

Ura, first makekoshi in two years: "I'm just trying to go out there every day feeling the same way, but..  It's very hard. There are three bouts left so I will be going all out and gambarizing!"

Abi, 10th win in Juryo and a Makuuchi return looming after 7 bashos: "Before the basho I was thinking of a return to Makuuchi, but as soon as the basho started I have not given it a thought. I am able to go about it with astounding concentration!"

Chiyotairyuu,  losing but closing in on kachikoshi: "The fact I allowed my opponent to get a double inside grip was bad. I think my body is as healthy as a guy in his twenties.."

Kagayaki, handing Myougiryuu his third loss: "I was able to pressure him without my legs stopping and by moving forward. If I can consistently do this kind of sumo the results will follow.".

Shimanoumi, winning on his Oyakata Kise's 52nd birthday: "The flow after the tachiai was good. I was able to properly put pressure on my opponent. It's my Oyakata's birthday so I'm happy I can celebrate it with a win!"

Kaisei, 2nd straight basho with a makekoshi: "My power has significantly dropped. I feel I am getting weaker and weaker every year.."

Daieishou,  winning quickly and one win away from kachikoshi: "I just want to properly do my own sumo till the end in the remaining days. I'm still lacking in power and I just need to train and become stronger."

Ichinojou, beating Ozeki Shoudai and now evening his record at 6-6: "I want to do my best to win on the remaining days.."

Shoudai, losing to Ichinojou who he was 3-9 against, 4th loss "I should have grabbed his mawashi or got some kind of a hold and somehow stopped his forward movement.."

Announcement: The properly shtick is now officially dead. Should have died months ago.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Announcement: The properly shtick is now officially dead. Should have died months ago.

And yet, here it is in this very post....

Just now, Sue said:

And yet, here it is in this very post....

Yes, I meant from here on of course-we have to give it a proper send-off, no?

• Like 1