Yubinhaad

Rikishi Status - 2021 Aki

Hoshoryu even entered the Kokugikan but has since departed, according to NHK. Bit odd, that. They didn't elaborate.

They need a new gyoji to officiate at the dohyo matsuri, methinks. The number of makuuchi rikishi in fighting shape is dwindling rather alarmingly, especially if we expect Takakeisho to formally go kyujo at some point. Clearly the prayers aren't working.

Quite unusually, this means that the day 6 torikumi is going to be rearranged, according to Asahi: 

Edited by Seiyashi

Hokutofuji injured the medial collateral ligament in his right knee yesterday.

Hoshoryu is suffering from acute tonsillitis, according to the medical certificate, requiring two days of rest. He had a headache and a fever of 38C in the morning, but came to the Kokugikan intending to compete. However, when the headache continued he went to the clinic and was advised to withdraw. Tatsunami-oyakata says he will return provided his condition allows it.

• Thanks 1

Kyokutaisei is kyujo for Day 6. Reason unknown at the moment, it's only just started to appear on the press sites.

Akua will collect the fusensho.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Kyokutaisei is kyujo for Day 6. Reason unknown at the moment, it's only just started to appear on the press sites.

He has been struggling with the knee and did look OK last 2 days but deciding better to rest.

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

He got the two wins he wanted to guarantee his sekitori status. He's been looking very sore even when he won.

One withdrawal from the lower divisions ahead of Day 7, Sd54w Asashinjo, having given up a fusenpai today.

11 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Same injury that forced him out near the end of the Nagoya basho, lateral collateral ligament in the left knee, re-injured in his win against Mitoryu yesterday it seems. Two weeks of treatment is on the medical certificate, but since this one is earlier in the basho he might return if possible, according to the shisho.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

East Maegashira #1
Hoshoryu
(Tatsunami Beya)
has returned from the Day 8 of the September Tournament

8 hours ago, Rocks said:
East Maegashira #1
Hoshoryu
(Tatsunami Beya)
has returned from the Day 8 of the September Tournament

Huh. Yesterday Nikkan wrote that a new medical certificate had been submitted which said the treatment period had been extended to "about 7 days" (約7日). And now he's back in as if the original (two days) was correct in the first place. :-S

Perhaps they realized Hoshoryu had his tonsils removed years ago?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Perhaps they realized Hoshoryu had his tonsils removed years ago?

Hoshoryu back in action.  Tonsils go intai.

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Huh. Yesterday Nikkan wrote that a new medical certificate had been submitted which said the treatment period had been extended to "about 7 days" (約7日). And now he's back in as if the original (two days) was correct in the first place. :-S

I haven't read the artcle, but the 約7日 part could easily mean "approximately till day 7". Which is not completely lacking sense, because initially there was no 100% info that he won't appear on day 7. ... Well, after reading the article it seems more like "7 days" after all. Interesting, Anyway, if he is well, I'm glad.

Edited by Taliesin
UPD.

Three withdrawals from the lower divisions ahead of Day 9:

Ms10e Tokisakae (fusenpai Day 7) - strained a leg muscle in his Day 6 loss and can't do sonkyo at the moment, according to Tokitsukaze-oyakata. May return if it improves.

Jd83w Wakaonehara (fusenpai Day 8)

Jk4w Yoshinofuji - appeared to be briefly knocked out cold by the clash of heads at the tachiai in his bout today. Managed to stand and was then helped away from the dohyo; the wakaimonogashira and oyakata on duty were quickly on the scene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2021 at 12:03, Taliesin said:

I haven't read the artcle, but the 約7日 part could easily mean "approximately till day 7".

"Seven days" (7日) is expressed differently from "day seven" (7日目). 約 is used with quantities or length of time, but not dates.

Edited by Kamitsuumi

38 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

"Seven days" (7日) is expressed differently from "day seven" (7日目). 約 is used with quantities or length of time, but not dates.

Yaku nanoka (ni) 約7日 is not that unusual, around the 7th (of the month). A different meaning of course.

Hoshoryu may have had acute tonsillitis, ... but he came back with a host of indications (i.e., new) that his body is suffering elsewhere:

(1) a cluster of TCM cupping marks on his upper back, and

(2) a new "supporter" on his right elbow.

Fighting the best-of-the-best takes a toll on wrestlers' bodies, especially in the age of the super-heavy-weights...

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Yaku nanoka (ni) 約7日 is not that unusual, around the 7th (of the month). A different meaning of course.

I've never seen this usage. Usually ~頃 is used to express uncertainty for an absolute date.

J1e Mitoryu is kyujo from Day 9; lots of lower back taping yesterday, I noticed. Kaisho will collect the free win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

J1e Mitoryu is kyujo from Day 9; lots of lower back taping yesterday, I noticed. Kaisho will collect the free win.

There goes his best shot at a makuuchi debut, tough luck.

Other Kyujo include 

Ms10e Tokisakae (0-4)

Jd83w Wakaonehara (0-4)

Jk4w Yoshinofuji (2-2, watched his match yesterday, he got blasted back in a stomach thrust and he pretty much collapsed. Scary situation, no clue on his condition) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I've never seen this usage. Usually ~頃 is used to express uncertainty for an absolute date.

I've never SEEN it as well, in written Japanese, I hear and use it occasionally

11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That is not in Japanese. Never seen, heard or used that. 

58 minutes ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

That is not in Japanese. Never seen, heard or used that. 

It surely would be pointed out at the programs that check for wrong uses of Japanese that have recently increased, but I have heard it several times, from Japanese. In the past that is, maybe it has disappeared again, like the trends in youth languages change.

Written it should be 約, 7日 ni ...

Edit: for those who have no idea what this Japanese language talk is about, the word yaku is a very flexible word, usable on its own. The other 2 are looking at the word connected to the date, in which case it is a totally wrong use. In the way I use it, it is only loosely connected with the date, and actually with the result the sentence as a whole is going to express (e.g. the work will be done). The date just happens to appear in front of the word yaku.

It still remains a doubtful use of Japanese, mostly hobo would be a better word.

I think we don't have to disturb this thread further with off topic talk 

Edited by Akinomaki