Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kensho Aki 21

15 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I count 47 kensho on the final bout of the tournament (and I don't think that includes the Morinaga Prize).  That is without doubt the biggest purse so far this tournament (Sincerely yours, Captain Obvious).  In fact, it is bigger than that for the showdown between Hakuho and Terunofuji in Nagoya two months ago.  But then again, this tournament is being held in Tokyo...

I'm counting 48, excluding the Morinaga-sho that isn't known at the time the torikumi is printed. Parading all those banners around the ring surely takes some time! 

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

I'm counting 48, excluding the Morinaga-sho that isn't known at the time the torikumi is printed. Parading all those banners around the ring surely takes some time! 

I went back to the torikumi sheet for a recount: 49.  Spotting the commas that separate the names of the sponsors is tricky sometimes. ;-)

Yeah, counting them is a bit of a pain. It would be much better if the commas were all in the same spot but I guess they don't have enough room on the sheet for that.

As expected, an overwhelming lead by Terunofuji, all days the Morinaga-sho was on his bouts. The last 3 days Nagatanien put 5 kensho on their boys Terunofuji and Endo, and the 2 extra also for the last 3 days, day 13 on Myogiryu-Takakeisho, day 14 on Onosho-Meisei and today on Myogiryu-Meisei. Days 9-12 Terunofuji already had 5 and Endo 4, who only on day 9 had still just the usual 3. On day 8 Terunofuji had been upgraded to 4 by the big sponsor.

Day 15 http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2109_15.pdf

354:    Terunofuji (M)
107:    Mitakeumi
95:    Takakeisho
84:    Endo
82:    Shodai
56:    Kiribayama
49:    Myogiryu
48:    Meisei
45:    Daieisho
45:    Ichinojo
  • Like 3