Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Aki 2021

Perennial Sekiwake and constant disappointment Mitakeumi trained at home today where there really isn't much opposition to train with and spoke of Terunofuji. "I haven't been involved in any major upsets recently so I really want to hand the new Yokozuna his first loss at that rank.." he said.  He has been 1-6 against him in their last seven clashes, usually getting his mawashi grabbed quickly and getting marched out quickly. He was given advice by Hakuhou on how to break a mawashi hold. "Tall guys like Terunofuji and Ichinojou beat me easily. I know how to break holds myself, but I guess the best way to do it against these opponents  is what Hakuhou taught me," he added. He's been having trouble getting back to back double-digit wins at Sanyaku (he has actually never done that, only 4 double-digit wins in  25 bashos in Sanyaku ..). Last basho he even lost to his college junior Wakatakakage on the last day. "If he's at this rank, it means he has become stronger, and I have to acknowledge that. I want to face him this basho and not let him do his thing while regaining  my strength as his senior. Another Ozeki run? These up and coming young guys are coming up the ranks and I feel I can't give in to them. I've got to properly show them my power and live up to my expectations!" he thundered.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Perennial Sekiwake and constant disappointment Mitakeumi

That's the pithiest summary of a rikishi since "Next Ozeki Shodai (said ironically)".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue said:

That's the pithiest summary of a rikishi since "Next Ozeki Shodai (said ironically)".

To think that wasn't ironic when it started. Oh, such innocent times those were.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I've got to properly show them my power and live up to my expectations!" he thundered.

His lack of further success may be epitomized as a lack of thunder.  If he really thundered there, we may see a change in his fortune.

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I've got to properly show them my power and live up to my expectations!" he thundered.

His lack of further success may be epitomized as a lack of thunder.  If he really thundered there, we may see a change in his fortune.

Nothing here that doesn't look like the usual more overpromising and underdelivering. He should get Araiso to give him tips on getting into the right headspace. He has the potential, just that it simply isn't showing the more he goes on.

40 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Nothing here that doesn't look like the usual more overpromising and underdelivering. He should get Araiso to give him tips on getting into the right headspace. He has the potential, just that it simply isn't showing the more he goes on.

Well, Kisenosato bolted from Sekiwake to Ozeki in a "blistering" 16 basho, while Mitakeumi is entering 25 and counting.  And Kisenosato made Yokozuna in the blink of an eye -- a mere 31 more basho; so Mitakeumi might be a 37-year old Yokozuna if he just sticks to the plan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, Kisenosato bolted from Sekiwake to Ozeki in a "blistering" 16 basho, while Mitakeumi is entering 25 and counting.  And Kisenosato made Yokozuna in the blink of an eye -- a mere 31 more basho; so Mitakeumi might be a 37-year old Yokozuna if he just sticks to the plan.

Oh, I don't ever expect Mitakeumi to get to yokozuna, but if he ever intends to even put together a proper ozeki run (2x double digit KK back to back) then he needs help. It's not so much Kisenosato's pace of getting places I was thinking of, but that little headspace change that made him all frowny and got him to yokozuna - IMO Mitakeumi needs some of that to get to ozeki.

Since Hoshoryu was brought up, might as well post this pic from his first year of amateur sumo, never seen it before.  Who can name the now pro to his left?

Egv7OeNU8AE13DN?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Since Hoshoryu was brought up, might as well post this pic from his first year of amateur sumo, never seen it before.  Who can name the now pro to his left?

Since it's Kashiwa where he was brought up, it has to be same year Kotoshoho. Takanosho is four years older.

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Oh, I don't ever expect Mitakeumi to get to yokozuna, but if he ever intends to even put together a proper ozeki run (2x double digit KK back to back) then he needs help. It's not so much Kisenosato's pace of getting places I was thinking of, but that little headspace change that made him all frowny and got him to yokozuna - IMO Mitakeumi needs some of that to get to ozeki.

Also, Kisenosato entered as a fifth Ozeki in Hatsu 2012 (Kotoshogiku, Ama, Kotooshu, Baruto who won the basho); Mitakeumi currently has Takakeisho and Shodai ahead of him.  So geez, man, here's your chance to start a real run!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Looks like probable future sekitori Mineyaiba (nee Ito) out of Shikoroyama beya, (whose brother, new Ito, also joins up this basho)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1